Taking the Leap Into 1/7000 Armada!

By Ladyboar, in Star Wars: Armada Painting and Modification

I’ve been a long time Star Wars: Armada fan, but never really got into the game due to a lack of local players and the sliding scale that always seemed a bit off to me. After seeing some of the cool custom fleets in the forums here at 1/7000 scale, I decided to finally take the plunge and start building up my own Armada. At 1/7000, there’s something incredibly satisfying about holding an entire fleet in the palm of your hand! 😊

So far I’ve been designing my way up from the small ships to the big, and just loving how they’re coming out. I’m going to go back and up-detail a few of these, my initial accessorizing and paneling was a bit too shallow for the scale, but all in all it’s a great start!

image0.jpg

Quasar, Arquitens, MC40, and Pelta are up next on the chopping block. And I’m keeping an eye out for the FFG MC75 and 80 and the VSD and ISD since they’re all roughly around 1/7000 already. Unfortunately everything seems sold out so I might need to keep my focus to the small ships for now.

Since I’ll soon be taking on the daunting task of learning to paint these little fellas, does anyone have any advice on painting something this small and bringing out detail? I’m eyeing GW’s Contrast paint line and would love to hear if anyone has any experience using it for painting starships!

Thanks for checking out this project and hopefully providing what feedback you may have, I’ll update the thread as I complete more ships and start painting!

Those look awesome! I'm personally a fan of the GW contrast paints but I haven't tried using them on an aramda ship yet, but I'd assume the simplest way would be with a coloured undercoat, followed by a contrast wash and then a bit of highlighting on the panels should give a nice tabletop finish.

As a side note, would you ever consider setting up a gumroad or something similar and selling your files? I've also always wanted to make the jump to 1/7000 but all the current options are on shapeways which makes the pricing pretty prohibitive, but these also look fantastic and I'd much rather just use my own resin printer.

Can't wait to see more of you work!

9 minutes ago, Atromix said:

Those look awesome! I'm personally a fan of the GW contrast paints but I haven't tried using them on an aramda ship yet, but I'd assume the simplest way would be with a coloured undercoat, followed by a contrast wash and then a bit of highlighting on the panels should give a nice tabletop finish.

As a side note, would you ever consider setting up a gumroad or something similar and selling your files? I've also always wanted to make the jump to 1/7000 but all the current options are on shapeways which makes the pricing pretty prohibitive, but these also look fantastic and I'd much rather just use my own resin printer.

Can't wait to see more of you work!

Thank you! I’ll have to give that painting method a go as soon as I can get my hands on the colors I need. Funnily enough, I actually got into this project precisely because the Shapeways minis would break my budget. If you think there’s interest out there I’ll definitely look at putting them up somewhere for people to use :)

Currently in the process of up-detailing the minis I’ve done so far (Literally, Blender’s open in the other window!) and so once I get this first batch done and test printed I’ll post some pics and get them out for people. Quasar base mesh is all done, just need to get it set up for printing. How do you think these should be mounted for gaming purposes? Just put them all onto Small bases even if they were Medium before? I’ll try to prototype some test bases to play around with to get a sense of scale and playability, people might want to be able to 3D print their own bases anyways so it’s probably a good idea regardless.

Any update @Ladyboar ? I got my printer a few weeks ago and have been running it 24/7 since! Would love to be able to add some armada to the production line 😁

On 10/7/2020 at 7:47 PM, Ladyboar said:

Thank you! I’ll have to give that painting method a go as soon as I can get my hands on the colors I need. Funnily enough, I actually got into this project precisely because the Shapeways minis would break my budget. If you think there’s interest out there I’ll definitely look at putting them up somewhere for people to use :)

Currently in the process of up-detailing the minis I’ve done so far (Literally, Blender’s open in the other window!) and so once I get this first batch done and test printed I’ll post some pics and get them out for people. Quasar base mesh is all done, just need to get it set up for printing. How do you think these should be mounted for gaming purposes? Just put them all onto Small bases even if they were Medium before? I’ll try to prototype some test bases to play around with to get a sense of scale and playability, people might want to be able to 3D print their own bases anyways so it’s probably a good idea regardless.

I keep them on their original bases but add models. For example, with CR-90s and Imperial Raiders, I use a fighter squadron tree and put 3 models on. For something like a Nebulon, I put two ships on one of the flotilla stands. I know those are still small stands though. Most of the medium ships I leave as one per stand.

The added benefit is getting a real armada on the table. The squadrons of small ships zipping around the larger single ships looks very impressive.