Squadrons: Help me choose a HOTAS for PC

By LUZ_TAK, in X-Wing Off-Topic

As the title says, I'm looking for advice on purchasing a HOTAS to play Squadrons properly. The game is amazing but I simply can't enjoy it with mouse and keyboard.

Max budget $195 us dollars, preferably available thru Amazon or similar big online retailer. Of course, If I can get a good device for $100 or less it would be awesome. I'm a complete casual player and won't play competitively or anything like that. Just want a good value for money rig that let's me enjoy the game.

Might be a good idea to wait for a black Friday day or something similar? Do gaming gear like this get good discounts?

Good luck finding one, honestly that is going to be your biggest problem.

Im not following... is there a shortage or something?

I just perused Amazon and there are plenty

Edited by LUZ_TAK
10 hours ago, LUZ_TAK said:

Im not following... is there a shortage ir something?

I just perused Amazon and there are plenty

There was actually a shortage when Microsoft Flight Simulator hit. I was looking for a HOTAS and there just wasn't any available. Now it does appear that stock is coming back but prices are artificially inflated on this hardware. Also, it looks like for many brands shipping times are still long, 2-3 weeks, unless you pay a premium for shipping. For example, the Thrustmaster T-FLIGHT HOTAS ONE (or X) was around 100 bucks earlier this year, now good luck finding one for under 200. Honestly, if you can get a HOTAS setup for under $150 I would jump on it.

I lucked out and got a Logitech Extreme Pro X3D (which is just a joystick locally) that was a returned item for about half of what they are going for. Works pretty well for Squadrons so far. Has 12 buttons, throttle, and a hat which is enough to get the job done. The rudder twist to roll is a bit wonky at first but after an hour of play I am pretty used to it.

Edited by Jo Jo

I keep seeing folks say HOTAS. What the heck is that?

2 hours ago, LTuser said:

I keep seeing folks say HOTAS. What the heck is that?

LMGTFY: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HOTAS

Ahh, so a funky joystick controller.

9 hours ago, LTuser said:

Ahh, so a funky joystick controller.

It's like joystick EXTREME

I don't know if you're still looking (or if anyone needs help with their controls), but Bombastic and Eckhart have put out a couple of videos which may be of use:

Me? I'm using an Xbox controller. It's fine. I've adjusted a couple of things (disabled free look, tap / double tap to focus shields) and that's it.

The PC master race get all the best toys. ☹️

Edited by FTS Gecko

Amazing info, txs

I know as soon as I can find one anywhere, I'll be getting the Thrustmaster t.flight 4 for PS4. As I actually have the game on PC and PS4, it makes good sense.

The Warthog in that video reminds me of the Virpil ones I was considering for space sim gaming(not getting any EA game). Virpil is definitely out of a $195 budget though, you won't even get the base plate for that.