Thirty years later...

By copperbell, in The Force Awakens Beginner Game

Is anyone running a game in this period?

I don't mean using the Sequel Trilogy but running their own campaign during this period?

The game I'm playing in is set in this era and I'm only starting to learn how different it is from the OT.

How about you?

Have been wondering about setting up a game in this era and was wondering the general consensus on such games?

My idea is that the PCs are from any career in the Edge and Age Core books either former Imperial or former prisoners who have been given the means to their freedom or restore their lost career.

The mission involves testing the defenses of the Imperial Training Centre at Kamino.

The team led by a former Imperial get to use a modified Tie Reaper to attempt to infiltrate the Kamino base allowing the defenses to be tested.

However the team leader has an ulterior motive, which doesn't involve them failing the mission because the odds have been deliberately stacked against them.

Would that interest you or do I need to go into more detail?

Are you trying to recruit players here, for online play? Or just trying to figure out if your concept might garner interest?

Either way, this particular forum receives very little traffic. Most probably don’t even scroll down far enough to see if there is anything new.

I know, would this work better in another thread despite it being about discussing game ideas in this period albeit not set in the Sequel Trilogy?

Thanks for replying in any case.

3 hours ago, copperbell said:

I know, would this work better in another thread despite it being about discussing game ideas in this period albeit not set in the Sequel Trilogy?

Thanks for replying in any case.

It would be fine for you to post this in any of the other forums, really. EotE and FaD get the most viewers.

On 10/5/2020 at 2:54 PM, copperbell said:

Is anyone running a game in this period?

I don't mean using the Sequel Trilogy but running their own campaign during this period?

The game I'm playing in is set in this era and I'm only starting to learn how different it is from the OT.

How about you?

The sequel trilogy itself quickly resets to [not] Rebels versus [not] Empire, but I agree that the period immediately before is very interesting.

I wholeheartedly recommend both the Resistance cartoon and the Poe Dameron comics, both of which capture the 'cold war' feel of the period very well - the Republic exists and has huge - but dispersed and unwieldy - military power (because the bulk of its forces have been deliberately broken up into planetary defence forces rather than a big central navy), whilst the First Order is small by comparison but is militarised as heck - arguably more so than the Empire - and both are glaring politely across the truce line at one another.

The Republic is refusing to believe the First Order is a threat and equally refusing to believe the assorted claims of war crimes and atrocities in the outer rim - largely because the First Order quietly pumps a lot of money into various politicians and megacorporations.

Meanwhile, Leia has been basically booted out of polite society when the First Order derailed her political career by dropping the bombshell of "You know she's Darth Vader's daughter, right? Are you sure you want to give this woman power?" - resulting in her becoming 'General Organa' and trying to help by doing the other thing she was good at - being part of a covert paramilitary force.

The Resistance is trying to stop the first order but is operating on a shoestring budget with far more strapped resources than the rebel alliance ever did, and at the same time is also trying desperately to avoid kicking off a shooting war early.