Inertial compensators/dampeners

By Jegergryte, in Star Wars: Edge of the Empire RPG

Hola!

I need help from the hive-mind. I seem to recall rules on adjusting the inertial thingamajigs ... but I cannot locate them, nor recall their effects. I may also be wrong, confusing this with another game.

The general idea was that a pilot can adjust the inertial compensator to gain some advantages (for real or imaginary reasons), but incur penalty or drawbacks on others (non-pilot crew and passengers).

Help?

The only reference to it that I know of is the Aggressor Assault Fighter from No Disintegrations (and I believe reprinted in Starships & Speeders, as it is the ship that IG-88 uses).

^ this is the only rule reference existing

droids and heavily modified cyborgs take less strain damage iirc, and there’s always the pilot suit from SoT

Yah. Ok. Not what I was (mis)remembering, but coolioh. That's enough to go by to make up something. Thanks!

My thoughts on this.

Adjust Inertial Compensators (maneuver)
Pilot Only: No
Silhouette: 1-5
Speed: 2+

The pilot or other crew manning the appropriate system can as a maneuver adjust the inertial compensators to the lower threshold of safety and comfort. The ship's handling increases by +1 Handling, however all aboard suffer 1 strain whenever the pilot performs: accelerate/decelerate, evasive maneuvers, stay on target, punch it, gain the advantage, or any fly manoeuvre that requires a Piloting Space check (to navigate terrain and stellar phenomena, and other stunts). When using talents like Full Throttle, Koiogran Turn, Corellian Sendoff and the like. Certain flightsuits can negate this (see for instance Shockrider Crash Suit in Stay on Target p.42).*

Droids and at the GM's discretion characters with 4 or more cybernetic enhancements, may negate the strain suffered.

Reduce Inertial Compensators (action)
Pilot Only: No
Silhouette: 1-5
Speed: 2+

The pilot or other crew manning the appropriate system can as an action make a Hard (DD) Computer or Mechanics check to adjust inertial compensators to potentially dangerous levels. The ship's handling increases by +2 Handling, however all aboard suffer 2 strain whenever a Pilot performs: accelerate/decelerate, evasive maneuvers, stay on target, punch it, gain the advantage, or any Fly manoeuvre that requires a Piloting Space check (to navigate terrain and stellar phenomena, and other stunts). When using talents like Full Throttle, Koiogran Turn, Corellian Sendoff and the like. Certain flightsuits can reduce strain suffered (see Stay on Target p.42).*

Droids and at the GM's discretion characters with 4 or more cybernetic enhancements, may reduce the Strain suffered to 1.

*While the suit in SoT can only reduce Strain caused by Critical Hits to a minimum of 1, the strain caused by this manoeuvre can be fully negated by flightsuits of that kind.

You could argue that other ships could do as the Aggressor and shut off the safety limiters entirely to gain the same bonus (and drawback). I wouldn't disagree, but I'd probably require it to be an action like the above, but with a higher difficulty. There is however the question then about what superfluous successes, threats and advantages means in this case. While threats can easily add to the strain cost, either per manoeuvre or as a one time effect due to the sudden change of inertia, I'm not entirely sure what extra successes or advantages should add. Increasing the handling bonus seems a bit much, but perhaps it could incur setback dice on pursuers/competitors' piloting or gunnery checks? Despair and Triumph easily translates to upgrading the difficulty of the next piloting or gunnery check, and upgrading piloting or gunnery checks.

Edited by Jegergryte

I'd require speed 3, change it to sil 1-4, and since Stay on Target is flying steadily, should it really cost that extra strain?

I thought about Speed 3, but I want slower ships, and silhouette 5 ships, to be able to do this fun thing too. I guess I'm more in the "have fun with it" camp. And because VCX-100 transports should be able to do it, and ... I love the image of a CR90 doing it ...

Well, I thought about that, fact remains: the inertial compensators are reduced/switched off, at those speeds, staying "steady on target" doesn't necessarily mean no jinking and juking, it means more that you're opening yourself up to attack too (as I have repeatedly experienced playing Star Wars Squadrons the last few days). The wording for the Aggressor's special rule is vague in this regard, stating only "whenever the pilot performs a piloting maneuver" which I preferred to specify, to include actions. Not that the wording in ND excludes actions... but you know.

Edited by Jegergryte

Although, that manoeuvre made me pause ... and I wouldn't necessary enforce it, unless the pilot is staying on target in a dense asteroid field...

I'd be tempted to double that strain cost for the characters myself.

8 hours ago, Stethemessiah said:

I'd be tempted to double that strain cost for the characters myself.

Yeah, I agree. Maybe what you have for beings that are strapped in, but for those just standing, or otherwise not restrained, I'd double the Strain, or possibly add a Wound.

That's a possible way to go. I'm just going by the Aggressor in No Disintegrations, where the strain cost is equal to the bonus.

Of course, anyone walking about ship could suffer more strain, even wounds, and the GM could require a coordination check even. It could also incur a setback dice to anyone but the pilot, equal to the handling increase.

Several options.

I don't know why that photo is coming up but in the house rules despair can be used when crafting engines for safety limiters which was modelled after the agressor assault fighter.

I'm laughing at the picture. 🤣

I'll check those out. Thanks.