Top 5 cards you would have liked to see

By RebelX, in The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game

With the latest comments from Celeb, it is save to assume that after the current cycle we won’t see new player cards at least for a long time.

Under the assumption that the game ends with the last AP of this cycle, what are the top 5 cards/types of cards you would have liked to see.

For me this would be:

1. Tactics Glorfindel hero: Really any decent tactic Noldor would have really boosted the archetype a great deal. Elladan is solid, but his inclusion means that 2 hero slots are taken and so severely limits deck building opportunities. A really powerful, fun Glorfindel would have been great

2. Another Tactics Silvan hero: Obviously Legolas is great and arguably the tactics silvan allies work best with Thranduil anyway, but a tactics hero that synergizes with Silvan strategies would have rounded out a really fun archetype

3. Noldor attachment that synergizes with heroes spending resources: Noldor has four heroes that spend resources to use their special ability. In my experience two of these get rarely used (Glorfindel, Elladan) on Gildor the effect is solid and Elrohir I consider it to be formidable. I wished such an attachment would exist to give Glorfindel a significant boost.

4. Another Dunedain hero apart from Aragorn: I am still a bit in shock about the Spirit Aragorn fiasco. I feel that the Dunedain selection is good in Leadership and Lore, but I feel like they miss a low-threat option in Spirit and Tactics.

5. An excellent 2/3--cost leadership Rohan ally: Rohan received a serious boost in the last cycle, but I felt they have emphasized the Spirit/Tactic sphere even more than before. I am fine with them essentially having abandoned lore, but I consider it a bit disheartening that they have some really good leadership heroes, but the arguably best ally in the sphere remains the solid-at-best Snowbourn scout.

Honorably mentioned: A better silvan/noldor weapon in lore, a better leadership and low-cost Noldor ally

All things considered the game have had a great run and none of the main archetypes has holes that makes them unplayable even against the harder quests, I just wished we would have gotten these cards.

What makes your list?

Edited by RebelX

I'd like to see Blue, Red, and Purple versions of Saruman.

I would change 5 to Aragorn ally, so that when I travel to Prancing Pony I can play him for free from my hand

And about Silvan tactics hero- you can kinda supplement it with Haldir, Thranduil Legolas deck. You pack all offensive silvan allies, elves weapons and events like Hands upon the bow. You can easily kill up to 4 enemies each turn before they attack. Works best with questing Celeborn deck

What latest comments from Caleb? When? Where?

15 minutes ago, Gizlivadi said:

On a podcast of some sort, or interview, I don't recall exactly, he said that work on LotR LCG is pretty much concluded and he hasn't been doing anything for it for quite some time.

1. Spirit Sam Gamgee hero: This would have completed the set with each of the four hobbits having a spirit and a non-spirit hero. This card should have reflected his role as a gardener. Maybe something like: Planning Action: Discard a resource from Sam Gamgee to gain: Action: If Sam Gamgee has committed to the quest this round, play an ally or attachment from your hand. reduce that card's cost by 1.

2. Another Spirit and Leadership Guarded card. More palantiri would have been nice, and I feel that Guarded cards would have been the best way to get them. A Guarded (Enemy) ally who plays into your staging area would have been a fun way to get Dunedain decks to have enemies engaged with them without having to deal with the threat.

3. Another four cost Beorning would have been fun. Maybe one with 8 hitpoints, 0 defense, and Response: After this ally defends an attack, discard it to deal x damage to the attacker where x is this allies remaining hitpoints.

4. More unique Gondor allies: Bergil, Hurin the Tall, Duilin, etc.

5. More support for damaged dwarves like Gloin, Gimli, and Veteran of Nanduhirion.

20 hours ago, Gizlivadi said:

Its a card game cooperative interview mentioned on the Reddit LoTr forum. See here at at about the 22 minute mark

Thanks! I hadn't listened to this one, there's also a fair few tidbits about design that I'm glad to hear from Caleb.

I know with the contract you can play one of them as a hero now but I would have liked hero versions of Orophin and Rumil so a three brothers deck with Haldir could be played from the start.

Even if Caleb is really done with the game as a designer it doesn’t mean someone else won’t take over, the game did exist before him. And with the new contract in the Dreadnaught I have hopes for even the odd player card in new packs. So here is my list:

LOTR lcg heroes and allies I want to see:

Heroes:

1. Crown of the Windlord Attachment that lets you exhaust it to return a Eagle ally from the discard pile or in play to your hand.

2. Fembrithel an Ent-Wife! (Or just another Lore or Tactics Ent hero like Leaflock or Skinbark preferably the former as its ally isn't great and maybe an ability like deal it a damage to increase its defense by 3)

3. A Stone Giant (Gandalf did say there were good Giants, imagine one who starts with Toughness 1)

4. Lore Legolas (he just seems like he should have one, maybe with the ability to discard a card to ready after declaring an attack or after he participates in an attack that destroys an enemy, ready Legolas. To show his battling hordes of enemies)

5. Some Corsair support, literally anything, a mercenary/pirate for hire similar to the Dwarf but for tactics reassures. Or maybe a Cutless weapon (after declaring character as a defender [or after it takes damage instead] exhaust to ready character) and/or her throwing knives (exhaust attached character to attach this card to an enemy, deal that enemy 2 damage, at the end of each round deal it an additional 2 damage, after enemy is defeated exhaust a character to attach throwing knives onto that character instead of discarding it)

6. Huorn - expensive ally that you place into the staging area and you can exhaust to deal 1 damage to an enemy that is placed in the staging area to replicate their part in The Battle of Helm's Deep, a forest that destroys enemies that enter them. Could also have a similar effect with when an enemy engages you exhaust to deal 1 damage but I like the idea of a staging area Ally.

7. Anduril, guarded weapon that gives Aragorn a boost for having all four different resource icons.

8. Aragorn ally, it's about time we got an Aragorn ally that could help out in fellowship decks. He could be Spirit, Leadership or neutral and grant +1 Willpower to heroes or unique characters. If they made him spirit then you could have a MOTK replacement for the lackluster hero one.

9. Trebuchet or Ballista Ally that can attack into the staging area.

10. Contract for all trait theme boosting, something like you can only include allies and heroes with the same trait from the following list: (Rohan, Gondor, Noldor, Silvan, Dale, Eagles, Ents, Woodman, Dunedain, Dwarf, Beorning, Hobbit, Outlands, Harad)

Exhaust this card to choose 2 of the following: reduce the cost of the next ally you play this phase by 1, return an ally from your discard pile to your hand, or draw a card.

11. Alliance Contract - All heroes and allies in your deck can only contain two traits from the following list: Rohan, Gondor, Noldor, Silvan, Dale, Woodman, Dunedain, Dwarf, Hobbit, Harad.

For the remainder of the quest, all heroes and allies in play are treated as having both of the chosen traits. (This one would require some playtesting but would be super cool!)

12. Contract for playing with only two heroes, maybe one that lets you search your deck for two cards and add them to your hand, (or cost of 1 or less cards and put them into play)

13. Player card versions for the other saga treasure/boon cards.