Couple of noobie questions about Campaign mode

By petszk, in Arkham Horror: The Card Game

As the thread title states, just a couple of questions from someone who's looking at running his first full campaign as soon as he gets the remaining packs required (Dunwich legacy cycle).

1) If an investigator dies or is driven insane during a scenario, does that player create a new "level 0" character, or do they create a new character with the same XP that they'd managed to accumulate to that point?

2) If an investigator dies or is driven insane during a scenario, does the party need to restart that scenario, or do they still proceed to the next one?

3) If I've read the rules correctly, you can insert "side scenarios" into a campaign (eg Carnevale of Horrors), but it costs you XP. Is that correct? What is the purpose of making players pay XP to take on a side scenario?

First of all keep in mind that if an investigator takes more damage/horror than their limit, they are not dead, they are defeated and they have a physical/mental trauma (that means, that next scenario you'll begin with one damage or one horror already in your character). When a scenario resolution says that an investigator is dead or insane (or when they got more physical or mental traumas than their limit), then they are out of the campaign completely. Keeping that in mind:

1) Yes, every new investigator that enters a campaign start with 0XP

2) The campaign always proceeds unless a resolution tells you that you've lost the campaign.

3) Side Scenarios cost XP to play because you can also get XP out of them, also consider paying the XP as the risk of taking a side quest when you are already in the middle of a massive problem dealing with the campaign.

Edited by Henryillusion

when i was playing Roland and Agnes in The Devourer Below for the second time, Roland was killed/defeated toward the end. Agnes spent two rounds running for her life and finally escaped, so technically she could have advanced into the next scenario and continued the campaign, but she had so much trauma, i just retired her instead.

the first time i played that scenario (same investigators), both were defeated in the same round, so i just started the scenario over again to try to make better choices and hope for better luck from the chaos bag.

as for paying for the side "quests", if you don't shell out the xp, i won't tell. XD

When adding a sidequest to your campaign you should pay the XP as per the written rules; and when creating a new investigator mid-campaign it should be at 0XP.

I personally like to abide by these rules (especially as I always play campaigns in easy mode), however, it's your game, the game won't be broken if you decided to treat these rules more as 'guidelines'. 😉

Thanks for the answers everyone. :)

On 10/3/2020 at 8:27 AM, Janaka said:

I personally like to abide by these rules (especially as I always play campaigns in easy mode), however, it's your game, the game won't be broken if you decided to treat these rules more as 'guidelines

Par-lay Captain!

When you add a permanent card to your deck does it start automatically in play or do you have to draw it first?

4 hours ago, CrimeLord Owl said:

When you add a permanent card to your deck does it start automatically in play or do you have to draw it first?

Permanent cards always start in play

On 10/10/2020 at 7:58 AM, Mimi61 said:

Par-lay Captain!

Heh. I just (re)watched this movie for the first time in many, many years on the weekend.