Warlords of the Omris Sector [Development/Feedback]

By The Jabbawookie, in Star Wars: Armada Off-Topic

@LTD @GhostofNobodyInParticular @Bertie Wooster @FortyInRed @Matt3412 @idjmv @clontroper5

@any other interested party

Hi guys! This is not for signups yet, but I've been working on another TBS and would appreciate some feedback on what I've got so far. Are these concepts interesting/fun? What, if anything, seems overly complicated or clunky? etc.

---

Warlords of the Omris Sector is a turn-based strategy game for 3-8 players. Each player takes the role of a military faction seeking to rule the sector.

zssdqoViTyVgbvCM1tellxIECeGG6-f6Osoq_94PB6JFBC1nDGYhYp3Mqxn-GzbvhGBCdkQv0ycGQqpZsM-Lcxo-fCoz8M7UJWsT3xES5FwprEcCal4m-WbrU4tJwxKDeVz64k3O

Link to original rules (credit to LTD): https://daveswargames.blogspot.com/2019/10/warlords-of-bzaarcke_23.html

Link to a sample player sheet: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/14_7VpXT8jyEnwvurvw7nB4MSKjSsjzvL2mD7uBQVgEM/edit#gid=0

In addition, there are some changes being implemented:

Titles

Titles are a reward for meeting certain goals, such as fielding a given number of forces or exploring a given number of planets. As the game progresses, players will become qualified to earn additional titles. The first player to earn 8 titles wins the game.

For example, George owns 2 worlds with a devoted approval status. He receives a PM from the mod informing him that if he reaches devoted approval on 6 worlds, he will gain the title "Renowned Ruler."

Quests

Public and private quests will be issued over the course of the game. Some will offer titles or rewards, while others involve making trade offs.

Dashed Hyperlanes

Dashed hyperlanes open and close regularly; the mod will announce when a given color is available.

Ship Designs

The combined squadron and command values of a ship form its total capacity ; a ship can carry any combination of ground forces and squadrons up to this value, but cannot carry more squadrons than its squadron value allows.

When a ship becomes scarred, it can be repaired when orbiting a friendly planet. The cost to repair a scarred ship is its points cost divided by its engineering value, rounded up.

For example, an ISD-2 has a command value of 3 and a squadron value of 4; it could carry 4 squadrons and 3 GF, or 1 squadron and 6 GF, but not 5 squadrons and 2 GF. If it were to become scarred, the repair cost would be 120 / 4 = 30 credits.

Approval

There are 5 levels of approval with a populace: devoted, cordial, neutral, wary, and hostile.

When a planet is conquered, approval moves to the opposite side of the spectrum (for example, a devoted planet becomes hostile, a wary planet becomes cordial, and a neutral planet stays neutral.)

Devoted planets produce 130% of their credit/industrial values, rounded down.

Cordial planets produce 110% of their credit/industrial values, rounded down.

Wary planets produce 90% of their credit/industrial values, rounded down.

Hostile planets produce 70% of their credit/industrial values, rounded down. Defending GF have a -1 roll modification in combat.

Approval can be improved by up to 1 stage per turn, for the cost of 30 credits or 1 Angrain.

Resources

There are 5 resources in Warlords of the Omris Sector: Angrain, Coaxium, Magnite, Tibanna, and Void Pearl. Unlike credits, these resources can be kept and accumulated from turn to turn. Planets will produce these goods, and they may also be available as rewards. Some planets may produce fractions of a resource; only whole numbers can be used or traded on the market.

Angrain : Hardy, nutrient-dense and non-poisonous to many species, this blue-green crop can keep entire populations fed across a wide range of climates. And a fed world is generally a happy one. Each turn, 1 unit may be spent per planet to immediately raise approval by 1. Holds a constant marketplace value of 30 credits.

Coaxium : A volatile but unparalleled hyperfuel. Thrill-seekers will love it, hyperdrive mechanics less so. Each turn, up to 1 unit may be spent per ship to allow that ship to perform an additional jump.

Magnite : Required for the creation of powerful tractor beams, these crystals lift industry to new heights both figuratively and literally. Each turn, 1 unit may be spent per planet to immediately, permanently increase the credit value by 1.

Void Pearl : Actually a rare gemstone formed exclusively in low-gravity environments, these iridescent red orbs enable the construction of advanced lenses and other precision sensor equipment. Each turn, any number of units may be spent; for each, the player receives a report on another world’s credit and resource values, and the total value of any orbiting fleets.

Tibanna: A key ingredient in blaster packs and other weaponry, any well-equipped army will find gaseous Tibanna invaluable. Each turn, up to 1 unit may be spent per planet to produce an additional GF.

In addition to their innate uses, resources can be bought and sold on an open market managed by the moderator. If multiple players attempt to buy more units of a resource than are available, each player receives an even share of the available resources, rounded up. Trading and bargaining between players directly is still allowed.

Edited by The Jabbawookie

Interesting! I like the Command plus Squadron value thing!

I really like the idea of titles.

I don't understand how approval affects hyperlane travel.

I would like to use a smaller spreadsheet, if possible. Right now I would have to scroll to the lower right corner to see where my ships are, just on a computer. It could be a nightmare on the phone. Resources take up too much room, I think. However, I like that you can input the information from one turn to the next without cutting and pasting--that really takes up more time than typing and calculating numbers. So maybe it'll be worth it?

I also really like the command + squadron value idea, as well as taking ships' engineering value into account. Will squadrons still be able to jump individually?

Edited by Bertie Wooster
22 minutes ago, Bertie Wooster said:

Will squadrons still be able to jump individually?

I didn't plan to change that, but we certainly can. It comes with pros and cons, I think.

22 minutes ago, Bertie Wooster said:

I don't understand how approval affects hyperlane travel.

I think I see the confusion. The two aren't related; I just had quick reference for approval and the hyperlane sequence* next to each other.

I've halved the resource columns; is that any better? Saving space is a good idea, I'll have to tinker around with the layout.

*sequence subject to change.

18 hours ago, The Jabbawookie said:

I didn't plan to change that, but we certainly can. It comes with pros and cons, I think.

I think I see the confusion. The two aren't related; I just had quick reference for approval and the hyperlane sequence* next to each other.

I've halved the resource columns; is that any better? Saving space is a good idea, I'll have to tinker around with the layout.

*sequence subject to change.

I think it makes sense for the squadrons to jump, game mechanics-wise. It made them more useful than just planet-holders. I had a brain fart yesterday wondering "why would you need to carry squadrons?" Because it saves fuel, obviously.

I love the new layout! Everything (except the map, obviously) fits on the screen if I scroll up and down, even on my phone.

I've missed you guys.

I think it sounds really cool. I'm on the fence about the carrying capacity thing but it seems like others approve so that's fine. Edit: I've seen no other better way to incorporate command values so I'm fine with this. Not trying to complain just to complain

I really like incorporating the engineering costs. That's clever.

I also really like the resources and I think you thought through those pretty clearly.

My only concern is my availability. So that I can find that mixture between actually doing the job that I'm paid to do, watching the kids that I have, and trying to be something resembling a good husband, I have very little free time. Things like Mafia work well because I can make incremental progress along the way. The warlords games can be a little challenging because I often stop, look at the board, look at my spreadsheet, reread the thread, and think about what I want to do for a while. So my only concern would be that if the game is very detailed oriented and very complicated, I will either do really badly and get killed immediately or ruin things for everyone.

Edited by FortyInRed

Bump.

This game will now be taking place in the new forum, where signups are now open.

The plan is 2-3 weeks or when we get enough players.