Help with Epic ships and Conversion kit

By Mesrob, in X-Wing

Folks, I might be able to get the Epic 1.0 versions of the Raider and C-Roc cruiser for a great price. However, I have heard so many bad things about the 2.0 epic conversion set and the 1.0 epic ships. Problems with the pegs not fitting properly, the plastic bases, the cardboad arc that sits on the bases misaligned, etc. Is this still a problem? Is it better to get the 2.0 versions of the epic ships? Can someone be kind enough to break this down for me. Thank you for your time.

All of my kit worked just fine. Everything except a Gozanti, which I don't own. I definitely heard tales of folks with trouble, but none of my locals had any difficulty. And even if there were problems, huge ship games are SO MUCH FUN. Do it anyway. :)

What Kleeg005 said.

There are some issues with some of the huge ship kits. I have 2 kits (for my 10 huge ships) and had no problems at all. Other people had problems. Seems to be luck of the draw, but possibly is location related? I'm in the UK and only a handful of other UK players had problems. The more vocal people with issues were in the US, if I remember correctly.

31 minutes ago, Gilarius said:

...t he more vocal people with issues were in the US, if I remember correctly.

...must... resist... urge... too strong...

It’s also worth noting that the Raider has not yet been released in 2.0.

I don't know if the issues where different in regions, but I was one of them. I picked up two conversion kits and had issues with both. The Raider and Gozanti bases required enlarging of the peg holes in order to fit. The GR-75 seems to fit. The C-ROC and CR-90 will require me to enlarge the holes before I can use them.

The issue is the holes are about 1/8 inch (1 mm) too close together to line up with the spacing of the plastic bases.

I had problems only with the C-ROC base. What Wolfshead said above: 1 mm misaligned too close.

The solution was easy: I took the plastic epic maneuver template that came in the same box and rubbed it against the inside of the hole in the direction it was too short until it gave in 1 mm or so. Then the pegs fit perfectly.

Don't worry, it's not noticeable once you put the plastic pegs and the arc indicators on top. The conversion kit and the First Edition ships are much better value for the money than buying the Second Edition re-releases, that are more expensive, don't come with extra small ships, most of them are not yet released, and even the ones that have been re-released, like the rebel corvette, they come with wrong dial.

Easy fixes if you get an affected kit. Overall, Epic 2.0 has been an amazing improvement over 1.0. It is much more in line with normal rules and is streamlined. Also, make sure you get the Huge Ship Conversion Kit and not the "Epic Battles Multiplayer Expansion". Though fun in its own right, with the intro of Wings and cool scenarios, it will NOT convert your huge ships.

I fully support your dive into epic. I've gotten two conversion kits (most of a second one rather) and just had my original set plus some bargain 1.0 models. Epic 2.0 is a great system and we've had tons of fun with it so far.

conversion kit was fine for me! AND, the CR90 dial is correct in them, as opposed to the 2.0 release of it.

On ‎9‎/‎30‎/‎2020 at 9:42 PM, Mesrob said:

Folks, I might be able to get the Epic 1.0 versions of the Raider and C-Roc cruiser for a great price. However, I have heard so many bad things about the 2.0 epic conversion set and the 1.0 epic ships. Problems with the pegs not fitting properly, the plastic bases, the cardboad arc that sits on the bases misaligned, etc. Is this still a problem? Is it better to get the 2.0 versions of the epic ships? Can someone be kind enough to break this down for me. Thank you for your time.

Buy the 1.0 ships and the Conversion Kit. As stated about, the ONLY issue is that some of the bases are off, and an easy fix with a file, hobby knife, or what have you. Note also that the maneuver dial in the 2.0 CR-90 is just plain wrong, so you'll want the ones in the CK anyways.

Huge ships are a blast. . .and a huge step up from 1.0. Huge Ships and Bullseye Arcs For Everyone are my two favorite things about 2.0.

Folks, thanks for the advice. I pulled the trigger and bought the 1.0 C-Roc Cruiser on eBay brand new for $45!! Gonna grab the huge ship conversion kit also. Next up is the Raider 1.0 and then the Corvette. Thanks again and be safe.