Scale, the best way to gain extra movement legally!

By Mace Windu, in Star Wars: Legion

So has anyone actually put any significant thought into the extra movement distance to get out of scale? I'm primarily CIS and almost exclusively use Grievous as my commander.

The more I play him the more I find opponents getting caught out with him getting into Melee when they clearly didn’t think he would, or possibly into range 2 to get a pistol shot off when they thought he would be out of range.

It then occurred to me that scale specifically lets you move potentially a whole base length or in some cases even more than the standard 2 speed move. This is due to the fact you can finish a whole move just barely touching a wall or obstacle, then be placed on top of that terrain, at a minimum a whole base width further forward than where your move ended. This can be even more pronounced it you play with any buildings with raking walls, usually an imperial bunker, which then pushes the model further forward again from what was the final move position originally.

Whether this was taken into account when designing the scale ability who knows but just wondered if anyone else had thought about this as much as me.

Picture for reference :)

Legion Scale movement.JPG

I have caught a few opponents with this, because they'll premeasure to ensure they are range 2 from my BX Droids and then with scale I was able to close that gap.

Yeah, I do this a lot. My friend has 3D printed Mos Eisley buildings (square building with dome roof).

I run Grievous to a building corner and Scale him up. Next action, I Scale him down to the other corner and move again. 2 free base lengths plus the pitch of the wall!

Edited by Sekac

Yeah Scale is a truly frightening keyword. I think it’s better than Jump really, especially if you need to move back after an attack. As an example, take Cad Bane. He has Jump 1 and some people say he doesn’t need anything like Environmental Gear, but if you want to use Steady to play “peekaboo” (move out of LoS blocking terrain, shoot, then move back into LoS blocking terrain), you may need Ev. Gear especially if there is a barricade in the way, as Jump only works one way. With Scale, not only do you get Unhindered, but also Expert Climber combined, so you can move over anything and for each action you take (if you need to). The BX droids have the same keyword too (and I know they can’t play peekaboo, but still having Scale on a unit with 5 red and 5 white in melee with surge to hit is scary), good for backing up Grievous. It’s funny cause everyone’s busy complaining about ARCs, but I don’t think anyone has realized how bad@$$ the BXs are.
Also since Grievous doesn’t have Force Push it’s nice to know he can cover a bit more distance, even if it’s a little less that 1 movement.

Also, also, since your diagram’s first move for Scale is angled, it may even get a bit more movement than you’re illustrating. If both started a 2 move from the wall and both were straight, I think it would add a couple milimeters, and Legion is a game of milimeters.

Edited by JediPartisan
14 minutes ago, JediPartisan said:

Also, also, since your diagram’s first move for Scale is angled, it may even get a bit more movement than you’re illustrating. If both started a 2 move from the wall and both were straight, I think it would add a couple milimeters, and Legion is a game of milimeters.

yes, you are right, there are so many more interesting things you can do, I was just trying to illustrate that scale allows you to quite literally move faster than if you run in a straight line directly at your target :)

44 minutes ago, Mace Windu said:

yes, you are right, there are so many more interesting things you can do, I was just trying to illustrate that scale allows you to quite literally move faster than if you run in a straight line directly at your target :)

I have seen Grievous start on the ground, move to a structure, across the top and down the opposing side to get into melee in one activation (the building model was small, but still), so no arguments from me. 😆

Scale is the best move based keyword so far. Jump is nice, but just not as good, and the ARCs Jetpacks are overpriced at 10 points, but that’s a whole new discussion (and I’m sure those who hate ARCs will come unglued after reading this 😏 ).

Scale is easily the most powerful movement based keyword as of yet. Especially on anything that can get a free attack after moving. Locally Ascension cables goes on so many things. Imp Guards are now scaling monsters like GG. Death troopers and ISF use them for that Iden 3 pip to get perfect angles on their free shots.

GG is my favorite commander. There's just something so thematic and satisfying about scaling his happy *** over some terrain, engaging some mook in melee, stabbing said mook with a lightsaber, often killing all but 1 or 2 minis (using them as meat shields), and then using arsenal with his pistol to shoot some other mook nearby.

Edited by Darth Sanguis

I dont like how Ascension Cables makes similar upgrades largely obsolete.

It would be nice if the three different upgrades did three separate things. Or at the very least Grappling Hooks and Environmental Gear should come way down in cost.

Edited by Khobai
16 minutes ago, Khobai said:

I dont like how Ascension Cables makes similar upgrades largely obsolete.

It would be nice if the three different upgrades did three separate things. Or at the very least Grappling Hooks and Environmental Gear should come way down in cost.

I don't disagree, but I can see the logic in the argument of persistent state versus action cost. That said, I will 100% take scale for 1 or 2 rounds over persistent unhindered or expert climber.

Edited by Darth Sanguis
12 hours ago, Darth Sanguis said:

I don't disagree, but I can see the logic in the argument of persistent state versus action cost. That said, I will 100% take scale for 1 or 2 rounds over persistent unhindered or expert climber.

Anyone would choose ascension cables over the other two, thats why the upgrades are poorly balanced. Ascension cables are way too good.

Clambering normally costs 2 actions so if you can use scale twice thats potentially 4 free actions! thats insane for only 4 points. what other equipment gives you potentially 4 free actions for only 4 points? Ascension cables should be more expensive than 4 points because of the absurd action economy it gives. Especially since it potentially allows a unit to move further than it normally would be able to.

They should change the three mobility equipments to balance them better:

Ascension Cables should stay exactly how they are but should certainly cost more than 4 points since it gives the equivalent of 2-4 free actions. 6-8 points would be a more reasonable points cost.

Grappling hooks should let you ignore the hazard roll while clambering and should make climbing/clambering only cost 1 action not 2 actions. And you should be able to exhaust it to clamber for free before or after a move action. cost lowered to 2 points.

Environmental Gear should give unhindered and let you exhaust it to ignore the adverse effects of a condition card like limited visibility or hostile environment for one turn. stays at 3 points.

Then there might be reasons to consider the other two upgrades. Instead of just Lolscension cables on all the things.

Thats probably my biggest problem with FFG's upgrade cards. They do a very poor job of balancing upgrades with eachother. Armada has the same problem. Most of the upgrades in Armada I never even touch because theres always a small handful of upgrades that are way better than the rest.

Edited by Khobai