card questions for noobs

By happy_ythogtha, in Arkham Horror: The Card Game

if there's a similar thread out there, i apologize; i couldn't find it.

last night i played through Dunwich's Extracurricular Activities (it was awesome fun, though too easy, so i'm sure i did something wrong ~ or else i need to add more chaos to the token bag because Winnie is out of control powerful). anyway, i drew "Beyond the Veil" and it said to put it in your threat area and had a Surge action, so i drew another card. then "Beyond the Veil" basically sat in my threat area and never did anything. i thought i would eventually draw cards that told me to put doom on it or it would come into play later, but nothing ever happened and i never even got close to running out of cards, so the Forced action didn't come into play either.

so my question is: do i leave it in my threat area as i continue the campaign into The House Always Wins? and if so, even after i finish these two scenarios? does it just sit there forever until i run out of cards or draw a spell to cancel it?

thanks your experience and help! : D

It is essentially a time bomb. If you ever run out of cards in your deck, you take a ton of damage. Most of the time it is not going to do much unless you are getting through your deck quickly. It doesn't carry over to the next scenario.

2 minutes ago, Dr Dee said:

It is essentially a time bomb. If you ever run out of cards in your deck, you take a ton of damage. Most of the time it is not going to do much unless you are getting through your deck quickly. It doesn't carry over to the next scenario.

thanks Dr Dee! pretty as it is, i'm glad it doesn't carry over (my playspace is crowded enough!).

I think I've run out of cards 3 times with that thing

5 minutes ago, CrimeLord Owl said:

this is why i think i might have been doing something wrong. through the whole game, Winnie lost quite a few cards, but Father Mat only lost 3 and he was the one who drew "Beyond the Veil"! my strategy was that he was running around picking up the clues and Winnie was dealing with all the bad stuff. i spawned very few monsters though, so that made the game strangely easy.

even so, i do think Winnie is too strong at this level. i'm adding more negative tokens to the chaos bag and flipping to hard/expert on this next round to see if that's more balanced.

11 minutes ago, happy_ythogtha said:

this is why i think i might have been doing something wrong. through the whole game, Winnie lost quite a few cards, but Father Mat only lost 3 and he was the one who drew "Beyond the Veil"! my strategy was that he was running around picking up the clues and Winnie was dealing with all the bad stuff. i spawned very few monsters though, so that made the game strangely easy.

even so, i do think Winnie is too strong at this level. i'm adding more negative tokens to the chaos bag and flipping to hard/expert on this next round to see if that's more balanced.

Not sure I understand what you mean by 'lost' in this context. Beyond the Veil triggers once you have cycled through your deck. So this is about how many cards you draw in the course of a game not how many cards you have 'lost'.

30 minutes ago, CrimeLord Owl said:

Ouch. That's got to hurt.

11 minutes ago, Dr Dee said:

Not sure I understand what you mean by 'lost' in this context. Beyond the Veil triggers once you have cycled through your deck. So this is about how many cards you draw in the course of a game not how many cards you have 'lost'.

that was just it: for Father Mat, other than the upkeep phase, i wasn't drawing cards! so i had six or seven"in-hand", four assets and an ally in play, and the rest of the deck just sitting there. i only discarded a few on a couple of turns.

Winnie went through far more cards, but still was never in danger of running out of deck.

i really feel like i must be doing something wrong ~ or else i am skirting by on more luck and playing too conservatively with the cards.

5 hours ago, happy_ythogtha said:

that was just it: for Father Mat, other than the upkeep phase, i wasn't drawing cards! so i had six or seven"in-hand", four assets and an ally in play, and the rest of the deck just sitting there. i only discarded a few on a couple of turns.

Winnie went through far more cards, but still was never in danger of running out of deck.

i really feel like i must be doing something wrong ~ or else i am skirting by on more luck and playing too conservatively with the cards.

Without going into more detail, we can't tell you if you did something wrong. I will add that Extracurricular Activity isn't a tough scenario though. Dunwich is kinda set like that. The two opening scenarios aren't tough if you do them first, but a lot more of a time crunch if done second.

It's possible you did something wrong but also possible you had a lucky run on a relatively easy scenario. What difficulty are you playing on? Easy?

4 hours ago, Magnito said:

Without going into more detail, we can't tell you if you did something wrong. I will add that Extracurricular Activity isn't a tough scenario though. Dunwich is kinda set like that. The two opening scenarios aren't tough if you do them first, but a lot more of a time crunch if done second.

It's possible you did something wrong but also possible you had a lucky run on a relatively easy scenario. What difficulty are you playing on? Easy?

was playing on easy, so i could stand to up it a bit. i also was very lucky with the encounter deck because i pulled very few monsters. and Father Mat drew 0s and -1s from the chaos bag for the whole scenario.

i just struggled through The House Always Wins and had a much tougher time of it--abominations everywhere and that burial under the rubble hurt! so i think i may have just been really weirdly lucky in the first scenario. : D

In my case, I've only lost one time because of "Beyond the Veil", but anyways, in this scenario there are a few other cards that make you discard cards from your deck:

- The Humanities Building

- The Administration Building

- Visions of Futures Past

- Pushed into the Beyond

- Arcane Barrier

If you're luke not to end your turn in any of those two buildings or draw any of these last three cards from the encounter deck, then "Beyond the veil" will be worthless.

4 hours ago, Henryillusion said:

In my case, I've only lost one time because of "Beyond the Veil", but anyways, in this scenario there are a few other cards that make you discard cards from your deck:

- The Humanities Building

- The Administration Building

- Visions of Futures Past

- Pushed into the Beyond

- Arcane Barrier

If you're luke not to end your turn in any of those two buildings or draw any of these last three cards from the encounter deck, then "Beyond the veil" will be worthless.

the only one i drew was Pushed into the Beyond (lost Lonnie on that one!). the threat of having to discard by lingering in the buildings made hopping around campus a hoot.

It gets worse in later scenarios.

5 hours ago, Eldan985 said:

It gets worse in later scenarios.

do doubt!

Miskatonic Mueseum was about as flat as people have said: i knocked down the door and hit the Restricted Hall almost immediately ~ it was over before anything even really happened! but i can tell that things are going to heat up soon. and i'm pretty sure i made a big mistake holding onto the necronomicon. XD