Scorch and Gideon

By Aiwarikiar, in X-Wing Rules Questions

It looks to me that Scorch and Gideon trigger at the same time. And when you get two triggers at the same time you get to choose the order of them, right? So, can you trigger Gideon first and then Scorch for a total of 4 red dice?

You roll 2 dice, trigger Gideon, gain 1 strain, roll 1 more die, trigger Scorch, gain 1 stress, roll 1 more die.

Cards for reference.

9dd11d408bb869cb947663fc29622833.png 21d545f09d9d98f9713b80d5551c4e0b.png

I'd let it happen. I think there's precedent with 7th Fleet Gunner and like... Wolffe's rear shot?

convinced otherwise

Edited by theBitterFig

I'd say Scorch has to happen first.

You build your dice pool in the Roll Dice step of the attack. Gideon would resolve after rolling those dice.

The past tense of Gideon prevents this Imho.

Scorch does not get to roll 2 dice then decide to take a stress.

He takes a stress to roll an extra die.

Edited by JBFancourt

Aren't all additions and subtractions of diced tallied, and then the maximum is set?

So Gideon and Scorch can both trigger, Scorch goes to 4, then the limit of 3 kicks in and says "sad day, you took two tokens and only get 1 extra die"?

Scorch triggers first when you establish the dice pool. Hask doesn’t trigger until after dice are rolled. They don’t interact at all.

20 minutes ago, missileaway said:

Scorch triggers first when you establish the dice pool. Hask doesn’t trigger until after dice are rolled. They don’t interact at all.

Good point. Also means that you see the result of the 2 dice before adding the 3rd.

44 minutes ago, SwampyCr said:

Good point. Also means that you see the result of the 2 dice before adding the 3rd.

Correct. Very handy to know if it will be worth it to take the strain.

1 hour ago, missileaway said:

Hask doesn’t trigger until after dice are rolled.

Good observation. Hask has a non-standard timing for adding dice specified on his card, so he happens then. Well spotted.

They interact, but only in the way that Gideon gives an extra option for Scorch to roll an additional die.

Can't get 4, but he can choose to EITHER take a stress or strain to roll 1 more. Which can be helpful sometimes.