Bombed by so much new stuff (Xi, Laat, Brute, HMP, Heralds, new rules, points) - implications for Epic

By Managarmr, in X-Wing Epic Play

Soooo much new stuff.

Some things I noticed:

-no point changes at all it seems

-no builder keywords for Epic *)

Rules:

-" Reinforce can be used against attacks at range 4–5 even the defender's [front 180 arc] or [back 180 arc] normally only extends to range 3. If the attacker is at range
4–5
, treat the defender's [front 180] or [back 180] arc as extending to range 5 for the purposes of determining which arc the defender is in for reinforce (but not
for any other effects or abilities)."

resp under Epic section

" Reinforce tokens can be used by defenders at attack range 4–5, even if a ship's [front 80 arc] or [back 180 arc] normally does not extend to range 4–5. "

-" STRUCTURE Structures are an upcoming game mechanic that some cards reference for the sake of future compatibility. There are currently no structures."

" Q: What is a structure as mentioned on Marg-Sabl Closure [talent]? A: A structure is a... wait a second, I can't tell you that yet! You'll have to wait and see"
:)

Cards from the new ships:

-No Huge ships have cannons, we can ignore synced laser cannons regarding them.

-No double missile slot either, as Ordnance tubes does not give you another missile slot at setup, so we can ignore multi missile pods regarding them.

-Sqashing ships before you with your Huge, bomb carpetting them if they want to sneak behind you, only 3pts

swz71_upgrade_concussion-bomb.png

-Sensors Buoy

swz69_sensor-buoy-suite_card.png

Too strong to be being allowed on a First Order Huge, probably.

-Terex crew 5pts on a FO Huge sounds good.

swz69_cyborg-terex_card.png

-Kalani could be good on a Sep Huge?

swz71_upgrade_kalani.png

-Suppressive gunner

swz70_a1_suppressive-gunner_upgrade.png

is really expensive. Otherwise, mass attack with suppressive gunners on a Huge could make the Huge toothless.

-Republic gets crew cards, which are really strong in 200pts play.

For Epic, though?

Your friendlies do not want to be at range 0-1 of your Huge, high risk being squashed, so Kit Fisto probably not worth it.

Seldom bullseye with a Huge, so Ayla is basically blank ability. Focus->Coordinate is action economy though, but is alaso 16pts.

Plo reinforces you rather expensively (10pts and a force action), but "free" damage flip in the end phase, no need for energy expenditure for repair.

-So everyone on small or medium with a talent slot now gets a Thane like ability. I really dislike devaluing apilot with an unique special snowflake ability by giving the abilities to everyone and their kitchen sink later on, this bothered me already in 1st edition.

Even it is not straight up copycat this time, as Thane's version is still stronger.

swz67_deadeye-shot.png

This one is not particularly strong in normal deathmatch with many small bases, as you need to have a Bullseye. And cannot spend a blank like Thane can. And no looking and choosing, which crit. So it is costed really cheap, at 1 pt. OK for Hyperspace and Extended.

But this one will straight up MURDER Huge ships.

I wish there was 3 Legalities, HS (Hyperspace), Ext (Extended) and EPIC (epic). So this one could be "No" for EPIC and "Yes" for the other two. I guess as the game grows, we will encounter this problem more often: Points wise balanced for Extended and HS, but out of whack for Epic (too cheap, making either opponent or you far too strong).

*) Thx, @Darth Meanie . Either I am blind, or as with the last update, a newer version of the file was uploaded only hours after first publishing.

Edited by Managarmr
Correction

You missed the best one: Wolfpack. Good range, plenty of arc coverage from a huge, common trigger for good buff. Price isn't that bad and a strain isn't that terrible.

On 9/26/2020 at 5:29 AM, ForceSensitive said:

You missed the best one: Wolfpack. Good range, plenty of arc coverage from a huge, common trigger for good buff. Price isn't that bad and a strain isn't that terrible.

I was actively wondering about that one. Coverage is huge, as you said, 4pts is also pretty cheap. It takes however two slots, and slots on the Huges are contested.

I was also not so sure about the strain, it weakens defence, and there is soo much firepower on the table in Epic. But maybe therefore a strain does not make a difference anyways, if opponent decides to focus fire on ome target? On the other hand without strain opponent might have had to waste one more attack on that target?

I guess playtesting will tell :)

Addendum:

whom I really forget to mention (soooo much stuff)

Terex crew. Just 6 pts. 3 rounds you give 1 calculate up to range 3 at start of activation phase (compare to K2SO, 8pts, stress(!) and already systems phase, your calculate may end up worthless if outflown), then either calculate or jam at bloody range 3.

Edited by Managarmr
Addendum
On 9/25/2020 at 2:56 AM, Managarmr said:

-no builder keywords for Epic

Actually, there are 3 keyword/classes for Huge ships now: corvette, cruiser, and transport.