Assembling Lieutnants

By Qion, in Descent: Journeys in the Dark

I just bought all the RtL minis, they look and feel awesome :D

Do you have any tipps or instructions for cleaning/assembling them? I have no experience with metal figurines.

Thanks!

You should probably give them a quick once-over with an Exacto knife, or something similar, to remove the flash. Most metal figures have at least a few areas where the molten metal leaked out of cracks in the mould, resulting in unintended thin bits sticking off the figure. These are usually pretty obvious to spot if you look at the figure for a minute first.

As far as assembling them goes, if you have some crazy glue they should stick together quickly and securely. Make sure your hands and work area are clean first (and the minis, but they shouldn't really be that dirty out of the package.) Away you go!

Painting them is a whole other ball of wax, but I'm assuming you're not at that stage yet.

I recommend Loctite Superglue (liquid with longneck bottle) over all the other types/brands. It dries faster and is stronger than any other types of Krazy Glue/Super Glue I've tried. Most miniature articles I have found agree with that statement as well. This is much much easier than using 2-part epoxy like advanced modelers use. 2-part epoxies take for ever to dry/set and are much much harder to use.

As for the flush-cutters, you can get those for like $7 at Michaels/Hobby Lobby in the jewelry section compared to paying $15 for Games Workshop brand at the Hobby Store.

My 1st mini was a Descent Lieutinant, that I took me multiple tries and I had somewhat poor results with Krazy Glue. Later I cleaned the parts and tried a 2-part epoxy with horrible results, lastly I cleaned the mini and used this brand and it set really really quick and has worked perfectly on every mini since. (I built quite a few Mithril minis with it). You won't need to use clamps or a vise if you use this type either.

sg_bottle.png