Sliding Into the Weekend AKA HMP Day Is Finally Over

By theBitterFig, in X-Wing Squad Lists

5 HMPs. My first thoughts:

• 5 I3 Separatist Predators, with Repulsor Config, one with DRK-1 Probe Droids
    • You know the nearer your destination, the more you're slip-sliding away.
  • 4 I1 Baktoid Drones & DGS-047 AKA DOUG . All have Repulsors Config. One has K2-B4, one has DRK-1 Probe Droids, one has Grievous crew (probably Doug).
    • Slides, Probes, K2 to turn Calcs into toughness. Gaining toughness on an already-tanky ship like the HMP can just be strong. Doug allows for some on-the-fly lock-switching, if circumstances require. Seems like a good use of a single point if you're already running I1s.
    • Grievous and K2-B4 could become 3x Ion Missiles. Adding Ion control to slides seems nice.
  • 4 I1 Baktoid Drones & Doug. Upgrades are DRK-1, K2-B4, Diamond Boron Missiles, and 3x Discord Missiles.
    • Ordnance instead of sideslips.
    • There's some anti-synergy between K2-B4 and Discord Missiles... maybe cut DBM and K2 to get some other tools...

Disclaimer: scum player.

My mind went for a quad hmp list:

Geonosian Prototype (35)
Synced Laser Cannons (6)
Repulsorlift Stabilizers (3)

Ship total: 44 Half Points: 22 Threshold: 4

Geonosian Prototype (35)
Synced Laser Cannons (6)

Ship total: 44 Half Points: 22 Threshold: 4

Onderon Oppressor (40)
Diamond-Boron Missiles (6)
DRK-1 Probe Droids (5)

Ship total: 54 Half Points: 27 Threshold: 4

Onderon Oppressor (40)
Concussion Missiles (6)
Discord Missiles (4)
Concussion Bombs (3)

Ship total: 56 Half Points: 28 Threshold: 4

Total: 198

My current idea for a list is:

DGS-047 (35)

Baktoid Drone (34)
DRK-1 Probe Droids (5)

Baktoid Drone (34)
Discord Missiles (4)

Baktoid Drone (34)
Discord Missiles (4)

Baktoid Drone (34)
Discord Missiles (4)

Total: 200

It has the mix of manoeuvrability with the side slip but also the discord missles, hopefully get some locks off using the DRK droids but worst case scenario DGS-047 can give everyone a lock if desperate.

The one without a side slip will probably be sad during the second round of engagement, but as the second cheapest points wise and least useful after launching their droids it's ok for your opponents to aim for them and not the rest. Also he could be a blocker.

I really like ships with unique movement so I tried a Gunship swarm yesterday.

If you want to build a swarm with these guys I think you have to put 5 in a list. Having only 4 ships seems a bit weak even with more upgrades. My biggest problems when building a list were:

1) The HMP wants some upgrades (like ordnance) at first glance. But then the Gunship becomes really expensive. The Multi-Missile-Pods are too expensive imo considering they are not working at range 3. The synced-laser-cannons ability doesn't work if you've spent your calculate for the attack. Concussion Missiles/Ion missiles might be worth a look.

2) The low initiative could be a problem

3) Having different initiative could be a problem when flying a swarm.

4) Don't know if it's just my perception but this thing looks too expensive even without upgrades....

Nevertheless I put this list on the table (thanks to @theBitterFig suggestions)

DGS-047 (35)

Baktoid Drone (34)
Ion Missiles (3)

Baktoid Drone (34)
DRK-1 Probe Droids (5)

Baktoid Drone (34)
K2-B4 (5)

Baktoid Drone (34)
Total: 199

View in Yet Another Squad Builder 2.0

- 5 ships/40hp
- all have the same initiative
- the DRK-Probe Droid is an absolute no brainer for this list because it activates Network Aim (ship ability gives you rerolls)
- K2-B4 could help your defense and keep them on the board longer but the lack of Network Calculation is a downside. Still your opponent has to make decisions what I really like
- DGS-047 (why is this guy called Doug btw?) is really strong. Shoot first with him, get a lock and everybody gets a reroll against the same target.
- Ion Missiles (or even Cluster Missiles) could be strong considering all the rerolls you have

I played against a Laat/i list with 2 Naboo Fighters and Luminara. I brought 3 rocks

I setup like that
^ ^ ^
x x x
x x

The Ion guy started in the front row in the middle flanked by DGS and the DRK-guy. K2 and the no upgrades HMP started at the back. I placed my forces in the middle of the board.

I instantly felt like playing 4 Starvipers. You really can force your opponent into the engagement you want. I sidesliped, 0-stop, sidesliped, 0-stop. Acquired locks on 3 different ships to get rerolls. As my opponent approached I was in a good spot having shots at everything. As we get into the knife fight my opponent wasn't able to arcdodge my ships at all. Because of the sideslip ability you have an extremely high time on target with modded shots all the time. K2-B4 triggered twice (if I remember correctly) and helped one of my ships to survive.

As time was called I lost one Gunship and two were at half points which won me the game.

Conclusion:

I wasn't able to get the Ion Missile of because this guy died first. Still think it's a good card for this list.

My opponent said that he was really suprised what you can do with the sideslip ability. Sideslip-0 stop-sideslip was a strong combo in this game.

The time on target is insane and getting behind or into the side of your opponent is really easy.

Having rerolls even on 2 dice is pretty good because you can keep the calculate for defense (or for K2-B4)

DGS-047's ship ability was amazing and helped a lot. After the first 2 ships died and the locks disappeared he kept the single reroll online.

I brought rocks which was the wrong decision. Bring Gas Clouds and sliiiiide through them (or debris because they have good blue maneuvers)

Having the same initiative helped a lot . I split my formation midgame which created even bigger killboxes.

Even if K2-B4 didn't trigger that often I think it's a strong card in this list

I really have to see how the HMP is doing against beef or 3 strong aces.

Flying this list was a ton of fun!

Edited by Ryuneke
7 hours ago, Ryuneke said:

DGS-047 (why is this guy called Doug btw?)

D o u G S-047

//

Anyhow, well done! A single Ion Missile probably makes more sense than Grievous.

If I have any first impressions reading this, it's that I might have been underestimating Sideslip. I'm an old Optics-SF guy, so I value consistent 2 red attacks with high time-on-target more than most folks, so those are probably under-rated by the community at large. But Sideslip sounds like it's a lot more potent than I'd figure.

Edited by theBitterFig
*note* Doug makes far more sense than Craig...