Negative values?

By player4190410, in Rules questions & answers

Can values go below zero into negatives? And if so, how do negative values affect the game?

Two potential examples:

1) I play "Bartering", and take an attachment card with a cost of 2 back into my hand. I then play an attachment card with a printed cost of 1. I reduce the printed cost of 1 by 2, which results in a cost of -1.

If there are no negative values in the game, then I simply play the new attachment for free. If there are negative values in the game, do I play the new attachment and add a resource to a Hero's pool? (If a card is paid for by returning the resources required to the resource bank, then a negative cost would be returning -1 resources to the resource bank; I.E. returning a resource to a Hero's pool...?)

2) Marsh Adder is engaged with another player. I use Bard the Bowman's card effect, which gives the target enemy -2 defence when making a Ranged attack. Marsh Adder has a printed defence value of 1, so reducing his defence by 2 defence results in -1 defence.

If there are no negative values in the game, then I simply treat Marsh Adder as if it had 0 defence. If there are negative values in the game, then would I treat Bard the Bowman as having 4 attack (instead of his printed 3 attack) and treat Marsh Adder as having 0 defence? Or would I deal 1 damage to Marsh Adder before I resolve Bard the Bowman's attack, as Marsh Adder's defence is -1?

There are other potential cases, and I suspect it depends on what scenario/deck you are playing, but I'm asking about standing rules not special circumstances.

.... I might also add I am quite proud of myself for asking such a technical question XD

There are no negative values. In your examples the values would just be reduced to 0.

Source: RR Modifiers

After all active modifiers have been taken into account, if a value is below 0, it is treated as 0: a card cannot have "negative" icons, attributes, traits, cost, or keywords.

Thanks-that's what I suspected, but I thought I'd check

1 hour ago, sappidus said:

Source: RR Modifiers

That's a really great source! I'll definitely poke around there a little more!