hi all

By hoth stroam stroperper, in Terrain Building

HI I am very new to this i trying to get some advice a about building a rebel base scene like hoth it would be a big help

thank you david

???

There are plenty of great examples of hoth bases on these forums, I'm sure they'd be great starting points as to what to do.

On 8/30/2020 at 2:34 PM, Funny Defcon said:

Snow drifts and rocks were made from XPS foam. AT-AT, trenches, transport, and turrets printed from Thingiverse.

Hope the Empire wins the battle.

Any other suggestions to add to the table? A downed Snow Speed would be nice.

Funny Defcon

20200829_212100 1.jpg

20200829_212050.jpg

20200829_212045.jpg

20200829_212030.jpg

20200829_212022.jpg

I wouldn't go to great lengths to model up the Rebel hanger on hoth unless you plan to have battles inside. You might be able to create some convincing terrain with a sheet of insulation foam and heating it with a heat gun to create gentle sweeping slopes. Because of the game, hills will need to be the scatter terrain. Those could be sculpted from foam using sanding blocks that are the profile of the hill you want. I use this method for creating perfect replicas of domes used on the buildings in the movie. Bragdon Enterprises sales some molds of convincing rock for a few rock out cropings. The Colorado Model Railroad Museum uses the rock molds and you can see how they look in the youtube videos of there layout. Use styrogoo from Hot Wire for gluing your foam. It can be sanded too.

I would probably scratch build 2/3rds of a walker leg and not the whole walker. Use movie footage photos to draw up the leg and then use the scene where Luke is beside the a leg to get the scale assuming that Luke is 6ft tall. Then head over to "night shift" at youtube to see how to paint up armor.

To do the snowdrifts I just used aerosol insulation foam to form shapes that I then cut down and properly shaped it with a box-cutter, loaded on spackle/wall compound to seal it then sprayed white with spray paint . All of which you can get at any hardware store for not too high a price.

You can use the same technique for hills or rocks, just using different paint and some grass or shrub flocking.

It's super easy. I learned from our boy Mel The Terrain Tutor. https://www.youtube.com/user/TheTerrainTutor

Edited by Crawfskeezen
17 hours ago, Crawfskeezen said:

To do the snowdrifts I just used aerosol insulation foam to form shapes that I then cut down and properly shaped it with a box-cutter, loaded on spackle/wall compound to seal it then sprayed white with spray paint . All of which you can get at any hardware store for not too high a price.

You can use the same technique for hills or rocks, just using different paint and some grass or shrub flocking.

It's super easy. I learned from our boy Mel The Terrain Tutor. https://www.youtube.com/user/TheTerrainTutor

Cannot recommend this guy enough, the Terrain tutor is great