I need a hand stating something out

By NotTheRedWire, in Genesys

I'm beginning a project whereby I use an RPG system (Genesys, surprise surprise) to guide a story that I'll then turn into Youtube videos, a friend of mine really sold me on Genesys but we haven't actually gotten a chance to play it so I'm still not great on the rules.

The specific things I need right now are the stats for a human child, and child soldiers.

Would anyone be able to help me figure that out, please?

I would recommend either using the Minion rules or the alternate Goon rules ... as this sounds like a rather simple adversary. (apart from the political incorrectness)

14 hours ago, NotTheRedWire said:

The specific things I need right now are the stats for a human child, and child soldiers.

That really depends on what the children do, and how well they do it. One really important thing to remember is that you only need stats for adversaries your PCs are going to be making skill checks against. So the average human (or non-human!) child needs no stats, since they're just background/filler characters.

Over on the Genesys Discord , we have a saying:
In terms of challenge:

• Minions' main strength is numbers
  • Rivals' main strength is agency
  • Nemeses main strength is a dedicated strain threshold

And all three can be made bad-*** by giving them Adversary ranks.

So ask yourself what the main strength of your child soldier is. Minions are the rank and file, rivals are the nameless officers, while a nemesis is the named foil to the PCs that come back over and over again.

Pages 131 to 133 of the CRB have the rules for how adversaries work, while pages 202–203 have a few guidelines for creating adversaries. And the Expanded Player's Guide has an entire chapter (20 pages) that goes in-depth on making adversaries and even introduces a new power level mechanic to better understand how much of a challenge they will be (or won't be, as the case may be).

Lastly, any adversary (soldier or no) is going to be dependent on setting/genre. A human child soldier in a fantasy game is going to be different than in a modern-day game.

Thank you both for your input. I guess I should have clarified, the kid soldiers are the protagonists so thats... SLIGHTLY less morally reprehensible?

As in archetype stats for player characters? That just depends on the setting, really. You could justify the default archetypes in the CRB as applying to children as long as every PC is a child character (something like the Kids On Bikes RPG). Adding a child archetype in with other adult archetypes might get tricky.

I'm not sure of the setting for your Child Soldiers, but I think starting with the Militia (minion) of Genesys Core, page 169 seems a good start since I'm imagining the realworld version. Militia has 2/1/2/2/2/1 for characteristics. I would reduce Brawn to 1 and Willpower to 1 to address them being children. So final stats are 1/1/2/2/1/1. Skills for Militia (minion) are Brawl, Coercion, and Ranged (heavy). Leave them the same? Or possibly drop Brawl and replace it with something like Survival or Streetwise depending on the setting? Soak for Militia is 3 (2 Brawn + 1 for Fatigues per description). So Child Soldiers have 2 Soak since I reduced Brawn by 1. Wound Threshold for Militia is pretty low at 4 for the adult version. So, I would reduce WT to 3 for the Child Soldier.

Edited by Sturn
On 9/19/2020 at 6:22 PM, NotTheRedWire said:

Thank you both for your input. I guess I should have clarified, the kid soldiers are the protagonists so thats... SLIGHTLY less morally reprehensible?

If the child soldiers are the protagonists, then you just make characters normally. A characteristic of 2 is average for your campaign world. If kids are the norm the Brawn 2 is the average brawniness of a child soldier.

Adversaries will have 3s if they're "better" than then average child soldier and a 1 if they're worse than the average child soldier.