Possible Table Build

By Wumps, in Terrain Building

Hi all,

I recently got back into board and Legion :) though other games will probably come . After a friend sent me a link to the Wyrmwood table I got really excited and was ready to pull the trigger on one until I saw the delivery window is 2022. I scoped out several more commercial options and of the ones available most were too small, too expensive, or shipping was near the price of the table. So I've been working with a friend to design a table.

Design goals:

Dining/gaming table

Large enough to seat 10-12 people for dining

Large play area 8'x4' to accommodate large games or 2 smaller ones

Removable leaves rather than a cap to facilitate storage and ease of removal/installation

Pedestal base with storage for leaves

Accessory rail system

Budget friendly

We took these goals into consideration and started playing with designs in Fusion 360. I think we are getting there with this design.

Results:

108"x64" overall

96"x 48" play area

4" depth without mat

8" leaning rails

I'd be interested in feedback from folks here. Namely the size, this table is pretty large, 108"x64" with a full 8'x4' play area. I realize Legion rules call for a 6'x3' size space giving me 6" on either side or 12" from the top/bottom edge. Is that too much? Being new I don't have the experience to know if 6'x3' ever feels too tight or not. Legion may not be the only miniatures game I end up playing.

Also if anyone can recommend a source for a neoprene or speedcloth mat I'd be interested, I am finding plenty of vinyl mats in 8x4 but not neoprene.

table.JPG

So knowing nothing about furniture design, biggest concern I have would be the table tipping over. If someone is on one of the long ends, and leans on the edge, since there aren't legs in the corners, would the table tip over?

6 hours ago, Wumps said:

Hi all,

I recently got back into board and Legion :) though other games will probably come . After a friend sent me a link to the Wyrmwood table I got really excited and was ready to pull the trigger on one until I saw the delivery window is 2022. I scoped out several more commercial options and of the ones available most were too small, too expensive, or shipping was near the price of the table. So I've been working with a friend to design a table.

Design goals:

Dining/gaming table

Large enough to seat 10-12 people for dining

Large play area 8'x4' to accommodate large games or 2 smaller ones

Removable leaves rather than a cap to facilitate storage and ease of removal/installation

Pedestal base with storage for leaves

Accessory rail system

Budget friendly

We took these goals into consideration and started playing with designs in Fusion 360. I think we are getting there with this design.

Results:

108"x64" overall

96"x 48" play area

4" depth without mat

8" leaning rails

I'd be interested in feedback from folks here. Namely the size, this table is pretty large, 108"x64" with a full 8'x4' play area. I realize Legion rules call for a 6'x3' size space giving me 6" on either side or 12" from the top/bottom edge. Is that too much? Being new I don't have the experience to know if 6'x3' ever feels too tight or not. Legion may not be the only miniatures game I end up playing.

Also if anyone can recommend a source for a neoprene or speedcloth mat I'd be interested, I am finding plenty of vinyl mats in 8x4 but not neoprene.

table.JPG

Fat mats is where I got my neoprene under mat, then I do warzone studios for my terrain mats. Fats will do pretty acturate cuts for your internal, with full speed cloth overlay and nice neoprene. Its very nice for mini's, card games and board!