Playing around with Death Troopers and Inferno Squad

By deogg, in Army Building

Well, I FINALLY got my hands on some Death Troopers and looking to do something with them and Inferno Squad. On paper, it looks like it has plenty of "don't let them get close" (aka longer range) firepower. Lemme know what you all think. Do other builds need to be afraid? Does it look "eh, not bad"? Does it suck? Let's hear it!

Iden Versio (100 + 19 = 119)
--Targeting Scopes (4), Idens TL-50 Repeater (15)

Iden Versio (Loadout)

Bossk (115 + 6 = 121)
--Endurance (6)

Stormtroopers (44 + 35 = 79)
--DLT-19 Stormtrooper (24), Stormtrooper (11)

Shoretroopers (52 + 45 = 97)
--T-21B Trooper (32), Shoretrooper (13)

Stormtroopers (44 + 24 = 68)
--DLT-19 Stormtrooper (24)

Imperial Special Forces (68 + 29 = 97)
--T-21 Special Forces Trooper (29)

Imperial Death Troopers (76 + 39 = 115)
--DLT-19D Trooper (34), Long-Range Comlink (5)

Scout Troopers (60 + 37 = 97)
--DLT-19x Sniper (28), Long-Range Comlink (5), Targeting Scopes (4)

Commands:
Merciless Munitions (1), Covert Observation (1), Pinned Down (2), Concussive Blast (2), Lying in Wait (3), Coordinated Fire (3), Standing Orders (4)

Deployments: The Long March, Battle Lines, Roll Out, Major Offensive
Objectives: Recover the Supplies, Key Positions, Breakthrough, Sabotage the Moisture Vaporators
Conditions: Clear Conditions, Fortified Positions, Hostile Environment, Rapid Reinforcements

I like the thought of the Scout trooper squad, I just don't like how quickly they die haha.

As much as I don't want to just tell you to play meta, I would probably drop the scout squad to a sniper squad giving you about 47 or so points to play with.

I think ID10 on Iden is a bargain, 15 points is dirt cheap for what you get.

Id also look at getting hunter on Bossk.

the weapons config on the death troopers is well worth the points as well, having the whole squad shoot at R1 is amazing.

Having said that I suggest just playing what you want to try out, often your own personal play style will tell you what suits you and what doesn't, regardless of what the "Meta" build would be :)

Scout Troopers are actually not that bad.

They die fast but they do so much damage for only 60 points. Where else are you gonna get 8 black dice with sharpshooter for 60 points?

The trick us making sure they live to use those dice...

Some random notes:
-I WOULD go all Shoretroopers, but those suckers got expensive since I bought the one set that I have.
-I DO have another box of Deathtroopers on the way, so I will have the option of going with more Deathtroopers instead of Biker Scouts

........shoot, at this rate, I almost have enough stuff to field a SECOND Imperial army lol

I'll preface this by saying I haven't played many games and only have a Rebel army. Take my advice as you will.

I feel like you're trying to do too much with the list and that leaves you with fewer resources than you need. You have 3 very expensive units in your list (Bossk, Death Troopers, Inferno Squad), yet they aren't equipped the way they likely should be. I also don't see the emplacement blaster to go with the shoretroopers, which I feel is a missed opportunity because of their low cost, activation synergy, and suppressive weapon.

I would recommend cutting either Bossk or the Death Troopers (I'm personally not a fan of Death Troopers), swapping Inferno Squad for the 3-man team with Gideon and Del, and getting the emplacement trooper in there. With a HQ Uplink upgrade on Inferno Squad and Gideon, you can give them an order without needing to use command cards, have them give an order to the shoretroopers, and have them give an order to the emplacement blaster. Superior activation control is pretty scary and Del fills in as your second (or 3rd or 4th...) sniper. In this list, the shoretroopers want the comms technician, T-21b blaster, and HQ Uplink. The plan is to get in a good firing range, use the Uplink each turn, recover, and shoot. My current list can get a minimum of 6 orders in the orders phase every turn this way.

If you keep Bossk, he probably wants Emergency Stims, Hunter, and Tenacity. The only command card I take with him is Reptilian Rampage, which lets you either throw 4 suppression out and get a "free" move or get that "free move," activate tenacity, and rip an opponent to shreds in melee.

I have a similar list. Mine has Veers with Aggressive Tactics (for shoretroopers and blasters) and Esteemed Leader, a fully equipped Iden, 2 shoretroopers (T-21, Comms Tech, Uplink, hunter), 2 blasters, Inferno Squad (HQ Uplink, hunter), and 2 snipers (hunter). I have a couple of variations of this that I think will work well, too. One drops some upgrades to get a naked trooper squad for 10 activations (my preferred minimum). One drops Veers and some points for the officer and snowtroopers with a flamethrower or a DLT squad. The other drops Veers and moves points around to get Bossk with the upgrades I listed above.

Why would you cut Death Troopers over ISF? ISF are the weakest thing in the list by far. Even Inferno squad is terrible.

Keep the Death Troopers theyre amazing. Theyre one of the only truly scary things Imperials have. Their attack pool is nuts at all ranges.

Youre better off putting the Inferno Squad dudes like Gideon Hask in your regular corps units. Because every time hes dies he comes back with 2 wounds. Using that trick you can potentially inflate the wound count of any corps unit hes added to. Having that coordinate is really nice too if you give them HQ uplink, for turns you play Bossk's cards.

I also think the key to using Scout Troopers effectively is to use two naked units. One unit gets mowed down but two units are harder to wipe out and its likely some of them will get within range 2 as long as you keep them in at least light cover. And theyre nice and cheap at 60 points a unit.

Edited by Khobai

I would use Inferno Squad over Death Troopers for synergy with Iden, the ability to coordinate while not being limited to range 3, and superior range, albeit with weaker dice. The other benefit is that this makes it so that every unit in the list except Veers (and Iden, depending on the loadout) has at least range 4.

Death Troopers are certainly good, but I feel like Inferno Squad synergizes with Iden better. Perhaps cutting Bossk and keeping Death Troopers instead is the way to go?

Edited by realsoupersand

I went all in with 2 Death Troopers, and Inferno. Haven't tried this yet but will do so this Friday. Any tweaks I should do?

Iden Versio (Idens TL-50 Repeater, Idens ID10 Seeker Droid)
Iden Versio(Loadout)
Shoretroopers (T-21B Trooper)
Shoretroopers (T-21B Trooper)
DF-90 Mortar Trooper
DF-90 Mortar Trooper
Stormtroopers (Gideon Hask)
Imperial Death Troopers (DLT-19D Trooper, E-11D Focused Fire Config)
Imperial Death Troopers (DLT-19D Trooper, E-11D Focused Fire Config)
Imperial Special Forces (Del Meeko, Offensive Push)

Commands:
Pulse Scan (1), Ambush (1), Concussive Blast (2), Incapacitate (2), Tactical Strike (3), Coordinated Fire (3), Standing Orders (4)

something I have been rolling around in my head the last few days, attempting to get as much activation control as possible in a cohesive list, no idea how it plays but plan to get it on the table in my next game.

Lots of built in co-ordinate along with entourage for the DTs, then a bit of token generation with retinue and the shores making Aims. wasn't sure if the list would get enough out of aggressive tactics on Krennic with Iden being the nominated commander half the time but would need to drop some of the recon intels to do so and lose any form of bid as well.

on the surface it looks solid but it might have too much conditional value that constricts movement or the engine falls apart, wont know till I try it out I guess.

791/800 - 9 activations

Director Orson Krennic (90 + 5 = 95)

--Strict Orders (5)

Iden Versio (100 + 34 = 134)

--Overwatch (4), Idens TL-50 Repeater (15), Idens ID10 Seeker Droid (15)

Iden Versio (Loadout)

--Offensive Push (4), Idens DLT-20A Rifle (15)

Shoretroopers (52 + 47 = 99)

--T-21B Trooper (32), Shoretrooper (13), Recon Intel (2)

DF-90 Mortar Trooper (36 + 0 = 36)

Shoretroopers (52 + 47 = 99)

--T-21B Trooper (32), Shoretrooper (13), Recon Intel (2)

DF-90 Mortar Trooper (36 + 0 = 36)

Imperial Special Forces (Inferno Squad) (34 + 86 = 120)

--Del Meeko (38), Gideon Hask (38), HQ Uplink (10)

Scout Troopers (Strike Team) (20 + 28 = 48)

--DLT-19x Sniper (28)

Imperial Death Troopers (76 + 48 = 124)

--DLT-19D Trooper (34), Overwatch (4), Recon Intel (2), E-11D Focused Fire Config (8)

Commands:

Voracious Ambition (1), Pulse Scan (1), Deploy the Garrison (2), Concussive Blast (2), Annihilation Looms (3), Tactical Strike (3), Standing Orders (4)

On 9/22/2020 at 5:31 PM, realsoupersand said:

I would use Inferno Squad over Death Troopers for synergy with Iden, the ability to coordinate while not being limited to range 3, and superior range, albeit with weaker dice. The other benefit is that this makes it so that every unit in the list except Veers (and Iden, depending on the loadout) has at least range 4.

Death Troopers are certainly good, but I feel like Inferno Squad synergizes with Iden better. Perhaps cutting Bossk and keeping Death Troopers instead is the way to go?

I am not opposed to cutting bossk for deathtroopers.

I think deathtroopers belong in the list

I still prefer Bossk, but that's just based on seeing their cards. I did just update my version of the list to include Death Troopers, though. I didn't have Bossk before because I had Veers as a second commander. I switched him to the generic commander and came up with this list:

Fireteam Zulu (789 points, 9 activations)

-Imperial Officer [68 Points]: Aggressive Tactics, Electrobinoculars

-Iden Versio [143 Points]: Comms Jammer, Hunter, Situational Awareness, Iden's DLT-20A Rifle, Iden's ID10 Seeker Droid

-2x DF-90 Mortar Trooper [36 Points each, 72 total]

-2x Shoretroopers [104 Points each, 208 total]: HQ Uplink, Imperial Comms Technician, T-21B Trooper

-Imperial Death Troopers [124 Points]: DLT-19D Trooper, E-11D, Hunter

-Imperial Special Forces [126 Points]: HQ Uplink, Hunter, Del Meeko, Gideon Hask

-Scout Troopers [48 Points]: DLT-19x Sniper

I feel Bossk costs too much for what he is. His gun really struggles with doing damage to things in cover and hes essentially just an overcosted suppression piece thats deceptively fragile for an operative. Even in my Veers suppression list its hard for Bossk to compete with double Ewebs.

Deathtroopers on the other hand are very good at murdering things in heavy cover. So is Boba Fett. I think both are generally better than Bossk. And Boba Fett doesnt really cost that much more than Bossk if you consider all the compulsory upgrades Bossk needs like emergency stims. Although both Bossk and Boba Fett probably cost a little too much.

Edited by Khobai