Joining a new clan question

By FelixFenix, in Rules Questions

If a character swears fealty to a different clan, let’s say through marriage can he learn the exclusive techniques of his/her new Clan? For example can a Scorpion marrying a Dragon can get access to Lord Togashi’s Insight?

Also can he/she still use the exclusive techniques, in the same example IF the character had Lord Bayushi’s Whispers, can he/she still use it?

I would say no. I mean, you kind of changed your name and it is now part of another clan but you were born in a different clan anyway.

Then again, this is just a matter of opinion and you can do as you think it's best for your games. In the campaign that I played with my friends and I posted here, I mentioned how my character a Kakita borne, Kakita duelist married into the Fox Clan for reasons. There's no exclusive Fox technique (yet?) but I don't think my GM would have allowed that. My character could be called Kitsune Kuga but he was still first and foremost a Kakita, then a Crane, then a Fox in that order.

Edited by Diogo Salazar

I would say yes and yes

keep in mind though that the clan exclusive techniques are the heritage of said clan and as a former outsider, you’re probably going to have to prove that you’re fully loyal to your new clan before they consider teaching you

as for your old techniques, well you don’t magically forget them but your new clan might frown upon you using them (even for their benefit) if they don’t align with your new clan ideology

Edited by MB -Fr-

For a different opinion here. I would say either "yes and no" or "no and yes".

Allow me to explain - various bits and pieces have implied that being part of a samurai family in L5R isn't just a bloodline thing, it's semi-mystical and at least partially to do with the which Clan a person believes they belong to. So what I'd do is say that the player picks one clan or the other to represent where the character now belongs and they get access to the clan-unique effects of that Clan. And it's not a big issue if they decide that their heart is still Crane after marrying into the Scorpion. Heck, it would make a good ninjo-giri: My duty is to act as a Scorpion for their benefit but my heart is still a Crane. Side note, I would also refund the XP of anything that a character loses by changing Clans.

Hey thanks guys.

15 hours ago, Tonbo Karasu said:

For a different opinion here. I would say either "yes and no" or "no and yes".

Allow me to explain - various bits and pieces have implied that being part of a samurai family in L5R isn't just a bloodline thing, it's semi-mystical and at least partially to do with the which Clan a person believes they belong to. So what I'd do is say that the player picks one clan or the other to represent where the character now belongs and they get access to the clan-unique effects of that Clan. And it's not a big issue if they decide that their heart is still Crane after marrying into the Scorpion. Heck, it would make a good ninjo-giri: My duty is to act as a Scorpion for their benefit but my heart is still a Crane. Side note, I would also refund the XP of anything that a character loses by changing Clans.

I think this reflects better my take on it.

BTW I really like your ninjō/giri example 👍

The Yasuki courtier school can still buy Lady Doji's Decree, even though they have I think been Crab longer than Crane, as a whole. Some lessons and heritage from your previous clan will not leave you, and the "Clan" requirements only apply to buying techniques, not using them. If something's still in your curriculum I'd say to allow it.

Now, for picking up new techniques... that's an interesting debate and I would say is up to your GM and the context. Mechanically, you start as a certain clan, to be sure. But if you embrace a new clan, adoption is a powerful metaphysical concept in Rokugan. You would have to argue for a narrative benefits and sources. If you're doing a strict mechanical interpretation, no, but it might be entirely possible that by joining the Unicorn clan and learning their ways, you can unlock Lady Shinjo's speed, or if you give up your past life to become an acolyte of the Togashi, you too can access Lord Togashi's insight. Really depends on the situation and what you go for.