RitR: Pivotal Battle "Assign Targets"

By ArmadaMatt, in Star Wars: Armada Rules Questions

We're finally getting to our first pivotal battle. I'm a little confused by the rule "Assign Targets" on page 24. I see plenty of abilities that have the word "friendly" in them. But none have the word "enemy"? Does this rule mean an ability like Concealment I can only be used when defending against one enemy? This rule just isn't making sense to me.

8 hours ago, ArmadaMatt said:

We're finally getting to our first pivotal battle. I'm a little confused by the rule "Assign Targets" on page 24. I see plenty of abilities that have the word "friendly" in them. But none have the word "enemy"? Does this rule mean an ability like Concealment I can only be used when defending against one enemy? This rule just isn't making sense to me.

Yes, your understanding is correct, the "Assign Targets" is for abbilities like Concealment

Edited by Lemmiwinks86

So does Concealment II count as a "friendly" ability because it mentions friendly ships? Just trying to wrap my head around this logic. Would something like Ion Technicians also be friendly?

I wish they had made this rule more clear

54 minutes ago, ArmadaMatt said:

So does Concealment II count as a "friendly" ability because it mentions friendly ships? Just trying to wrap my head around this logic. Would something like Ion Technicians also be friendly?

I wish they had made this rule more clear

Sorry, after reading again the abbilities I think I was wrong with the Concealment part (it's been so many months since I played the campaign and I forgot many things). As the effect applies on "You", you are friendly to yourself so actually, unless I'm missing something, there is no commander effect in the campaign that is not a friendly effect.

Maybe they included that entry in case that in the future more commander abbilities are included (or maybe some group wants to include custom abbilities), or maybe they included it because it was an errata for the Corellian Conflict campaign and they didn't notice that here it wouldn't apply with the abbilities currently available. That rule was originally created so Dodonna or Konstantine are not so easy to trigger in those large battles.

51 minutes ago, Lemmiwinks86 said:

unless I'm missing something

Ha, I said those exact words to myself. Yeah, this rule just doesn't seem to have a clear application.

I agree. I think it doesn’t apply to any of the commander abilities in RitR. I think it was included in case such an ability was added into RitR, but none was (that’s my conjecture anyway).