Wilds Of Rhovanion rules

By player4190410, in Rules questions & answers

Hey all,

So I recently got the Wilds Of Rhovanion expansion, and I'm pretty excited to try it out!

However, after a quick glance at the cards and an in-depth reading of the rulebook (at least, the parts I'm allowed to read lol), I'm anticipating getting confused about the flow of the different scenarios.

Maybe this confusion will get cleared up once I actually start playing, but I wanted to ask if there are any unique scenario-specific rules I should be aware of before diving in? Particularly for the "Lost In Mirkwood" senario.

Now I REALLY DON'T WANT SPOILERS :D So if there are NO special rules, just say that it makes more sense when the cards are actually interacting with each other. If there ARE special rules, please just tell me the absolute bare minimum for me to get by!

Thanks!

(Also, if it matters, I'm planning on playing solo at least for my first playthrough)

Edited by player4190410

Ah, Lost in Mirkwood: when a card instructs you to go to the "next" quest card, it means go to the next numberical card, not alphabetical card. (If you're on 2B, you would NOT go to 2C, you would go to 3A). That should help.

Also there is one double-sided card which is used in two of the scenarios. One of the scenarios doesn't actually tell you to use it correctly (the encounter set icon for that card is not printed on the quest card) so it can be confused. Just remember that the double-sided card gets used in two scenarios and you should figure it out.

Hopefully that's a spoiler-free bit of help.

On 9/15/2020 at 10:31 AM, GrandSpleen said:

Hopefully that's a spoiler-free bit of help.

Thanks GrandSpleen-super helpful! Also, somehow on my first look through the cards I didn't look closely enough at the Objective Locations for Lost in Mirkwood, and those help a great deal XD

Ok so I started playing, and I have three technical questions (didn't even get through the first scenario and I'm already confused 😅 )

The first question is super technical, and I think I know the answer but I want to confirm: for the attachment "King of Dale", does the card effect count itself? I.E. if "King of Dale" is the only attachment the character has, do you still get -1 when playing an ally? It seems a little too convenient to me, but the Dale set does reward attachments pretty heavily...

Second, what is the point of placing resources on the "Traveling North" senario card? Do you only reveal an "Evil Creature" if you have a resource on "Traveling North"? It seemed to me that you draw an Evil Creature at every encounter phase, regardless of however many resources you have on the Quest card. But if that's the case, I don't see any purpose behind the resources...?

Third, and this is more just something I'm curious about, in theory, could you place "Great Yew Bow" on "Warrior of Dale" if he already had a weapon? In other words, is there a difference between a keyword and a "printed keyword"?

Thanks for helping out this slow gent lol

For the first question, a card like this will count itself as an attachment unless it specifically says "other attachments". King Of Dale doesn't say "other attachments", so it counts itself. It does say "different," but in this context "different" means "cards that don't share the same title as each other", e.g. if you had King of Dale and three Unexpected Courage on the same hero, you'd only get a discount of 2.

For the second question, there is a "then" clause in the rules on Traveling North. This means that you only do the text after the "then" if the preceding action actually happened. So if there is no resource on Traveling North, then you cannot remove a resource from it, so the "then" doesn't happen, so no Evil Creature this turn. Deliberately failing or drawing questing is a legitimate approach in this quest.

For the third question, "printed" means it's a keyword written down on the card in question. So for example, if you have an attachment that says "Attached character gains ranged", that character may have Ranged but they don't have printed Ranged, so couldn't get Great Yew Bow. There is a slight complication here in that "ranged" is printed on Warrior of Dale, but only as a "gains" ability. Referring to the rules reference, we find the passage "If a card gains a characteristic (such as a trait, keyword, or ability text), the card functions as if it possesses the gained characteristic. Gained characteristics are not considered to be printed on the card." So Warrior of Dale does not have the printed ranged keyword in this case.

As a more important aside, Great Yew Bow is limited to being attached to Heroes only, and Warrior of Dale is not a hero, so this is a more important reason why you can't give him the bow :)

Thanks NathanH

I tried playing it the other (proper) way, and it made much more sense :)

4 hours ago, NathanH said:

For the third question, "printed" means it's a keyword written down on the card in question. So for example, if you have an attachment that says "Attached character gains ranged", that character may have Ranged but they don't have printed Ranged, so couldn't get Great Yew Bow. There is a slight complication here in that "ranged" is printed on Warrior of Dale, but only as a "gains" ability. Referring to the rules reference, we find the passage "If a card gains a characteristic (such as a trait, keyword, or ability text), the card functions as if it possesses the gained characteristic. Gained characteristics are not considered to be printed on the card." So Warrior of Dale does not have the printed ranged keyword in this case.

As a more important aside, Great Yew Bow is limited to being attached to Heroes only, and Warrior of Dale is not a hero, so this is a more important reason why you can't give him the bow :)

Makes sense-it was really only a hypothetical example anyway, but I will admit that at first I didn't notice that clause on the card, but I did see it later..... unfortunately XD

Thanks for all your help!