Free-Trigger Ability - Cumulative Bonus?

By Sir_Blacksoutalot, in Arkham Horror: The Card Game

Hi, All. I’m a new player and have been studying up on the rules before attempting my first game. For starting out, I plan to go 2-handed solo. I’ll eventually bring my wife into the game but figure I first need to get a better grip on the rules, for which there seem to be many intricacies.

There are two AH concepts that keep messing with my mind: Free-Trigger abilities and cards with the keyword Fast. I put together these notes to help better wrap my head around these terms (let me know if I got any of this wrong).

FAST vs. FREE-TRIGGER

When to Play

• Asset cards with keyword Fast can only be used during Investigation Phase as a “Play Card” action on that Investigator’s turn.
  • Event cards with keyword Fast may be played anytime card’s main text instructions specify.
  • Free-Trigger abilities must be used during a Player Window :
    • Mythos Phase: After drawing Encounter card.
    • Investigation Phase: Before and after each action (x3) for that Investigator.
    • Enemy Phase: After Hunter enemies move (possibly engaging with Investigator).
    • Enemy Phase: After enemy attacks Investigator.
    • Upkeep Phase: At very start, before readying cards or drawing card or gaining Resource.
    • Skill Test: At very start, before Investigators commit any cards.
    • Skill Test: After Investigators commit cards, but before drawing Chaos Token.

Similarities

• Neither Fast nor Free-Trigger abilities count toward three-action limit.
  • Neither Fast nor Free-Trigger abilities provoke AoO because neither has an action cost.

Differences

• Free-Trigger abilities may be played multiple times during that Investigator’s Player Window (unless specified otherwise), but must pay all Resource costs.
    • By comparison:
    • Asset card with keyword Fast may be used only once during Investigation Phase (or once per action if asset ability is applied multiple times).
    • Event card with keyword Fast is discarded after it is played.

It’s that last point about free-trigger abilities having unlimited uses that I keep struggling with. This rule appears to come from page 9 of the FAQ: “Unless the [free-trigger] ability has a printed limitation on it, you may use it as often as you like, provided you are able to pay the ability’s cost each time.” This is confirmed on ArkhamDB, as with Physical Training : “You can use [free-trigger] abilities as many times as you want, as long as you can pay the cost; there is no limit.”

And now finally I get to my question:
I’ve read that free-triggers can be applied in a cumulative manner. Using Physical Training as an example, it seems I could spend 1 resource to get a +1 bonus on a Combat skill test. Or I could choose to spend say 3 or even 6 resources to get a +3 or +6 bonus. But I don’t see anywhere in the rules or FAQ/errata that says the bonus can be applied cumulatively. Is this the correct way to use a free-trigger ability like Physical Training? Can someone help share the logic behind this?

Edited by Sir_Blacksoutalot

First of all, nice note-taking skills. It's helpful for newer players to have a breakdown like this.

I just noticed one problem with what's in your notes: I'm not sure where you got the idea that Free-triggers will provoke an AoO. The only thing that provokes an AoO is an action, and only if that action isn't a Fight, Evade, Parley, or Resign.

To answer your question, yes you can cumulatively use a free-trigger in the way you described. So long as you continue paying the 1 resource for Physical Training, you will continue getting a +1 bonus to the chosen skill for that particular skill test. The section you are looking for is under Modifiers in the rules reference:

Some abilities cause values or quantities of characteristics to be modified. The game state constantly checks and (if necessary) updates the count of any variable value or quantity that is being modified.

Any time a new modifier is applied (or removed), the entire quantity is recalculated from the start, considering the unmodified base value and all active modifiers.

Edited by Daedalus

Hi, Daedalus. Thanks for that clarification.

I'm not sure where I got that bit about "free-triggers without keyword fast provoking an AoO". I must have tried to apply my own interpretation and got it wrong.

It seems I need to revise my notes. Would it be correct to say under card Similarities: "Neither Fast nor Free-Trigger abilities provoke AoO." Is that an accurate statement?

I would say that's a correct assessment since neither of them require using an Action.

Thanks again. I've edited the notes in my OP to reflect this correction, and added the logic that Fast and Free-Trigger abilities do not provoke AoO because they do not have an action cost.

This is very helpful. I think I now more clearly understand that an AoO can only occur during the Investigation Phase because that is the only time an Investigator can spend an action.

I have to admit that while I'm anxious to crack into my first solo game it's also been very fun to learn all the rules. There's a certain satisfaction when the gears click into place and the lightbulb goes off in my head: "Oh, so that's how that rule works!"

Thanks again. I've edited the notes in my OP to reflect this correction, and added the logic that Fast and Free-Trigger abilities do not provoke AoO because they do not have an action cost.

This is very helpful. I think I now more clearly understand that an AoO can only occur during the Investigation Phase because that is the only time an Investigator can spend an action.

I have to admit that while I'm anxious to crack into my first solo game it's also been very fun to learn all the rules. There's a certain satisfaction when the gears click into place and the lightbulb goes off in my head: "Oh, so that's how that rule works!"

I just realized I neglected to note that there are two Player Windows that occur during Skill Tests. I've updated my OP accordingly:

• Skill Test: At very start, before Investigators commit any cards.
  • Skill Test: After Investigators commit cards, but before drawing Chaos Token.