GM!!!

By Shaheed the Gand, in Game Masters

Two PC's are in a shootout on a small theater booth.

Player rolled two yellow, two green, and two advantage dice. The outcome was 3 advantage. I asked the player what he thought of the roll.

"I miss but shoot the ceiling and knock him out."

Me: "Hmmm."

"Or the enemy falls off the balcony."

I had the enemy go prone dodging the shot?

What would you have done?

You made the right call.

A failure can have a beneficial effect, but it shouldn't turn the check into a success. By "turn the check into a success" I mean accomplish the same thing as succeeding would.

Having part of the ceiling collapse and affect the target is a good idea, but it certainly shouldn't knock him out.

Yeah, you did right. The recommended outcomes in the CRBs and on the GM screen are a good indicator of the 'power' of certain quantities of advantage.

Since it was two PCs in a shootout, was it an competitive check? Meaning, they both roll and whoever has the highest wins the round.

If it were PC v NPC, then that's def the right call on the HIGH end of what could happen. I normally go 5 adv for triumph worthy territory, but that's GM discretion. The screen starts at 3, which I feel is a bit low.

On 9/11/2020 at 11:12 PM, Fistofpaper said:

Since it was two PCs in a shootout, was it an competitive check? Meaning, they both roll and whoever has the highest wins the round.

If it were PC v NPC, then that's def the right call on the HIGH end of what could happen. I normally go 5 adv for triumph worthy territory, but that's GM discretion. The screen starts at 3, which I feel is a bit low.

It was PC vs NPC. Yeah just had the NPC fall prone and the PC gave a boost to the next player.

Thanks for the tips everybody.