simultaneous fire and friendly ship abilities

By player655164, in X-Wing Rules Questions

Hello all,

I THINK I know the answer to this question, but I was wondering if someone could explain the specific rule which makes this be the case.

So let's say my opponent has two i5 ships shooting at my i1 vulture droids with Networked Calculations. His first i5 ship shoots down one of my vulture droids, and at the time of death the vulture droid still had a calculate token. He proceeds to shoot down another one of my vulture droids with his second i5 ship.

In this case, is my first vulture droid that got shot down still "in-play" at the time that his second i5 ship shoots at my other vulture droid. In other words, since the two i5 ships are shooting at the "same time," can my second ship still use Networked Calculations while defending in order to spend the calculate token of the ship that just got shot down?

Me and my opponent agreed that this shouldn't be the case--that simultaneous fire does not allow me to spend calculate tokens of ships that died in the same phase. I was wondering if someone could confirm this and point me in the direction of the rule/rationale for this situation?

Thanks!

Vulture #2 can spend a token from a "dead" vulture that hasn't been removed yet.

I can't cite chapter and verse, but the rule on ship destruction says that destroyed ships aren't removed until the end of that initiative step, and that's the key here.

4 hours ago, theBitterFig said:

Vulture #2 can spend a token from a "dead" vulture that hasn't been removed yet.

I can't cite chapter and verse, but the rule on ship destruction says that destroyed ships aren't removed until the end of that initiative step, and that's the key here.

And precisely why the rule in 2e was changed. In 1e, a ship was removed when its number of damage cards exceed its hull value. Realizing this was detrimental, they added a simultaneous fire rule (if the ship was killed at its iniative it still has a chance to attack before being removed), and eventually upgraded to a ship is not removed until the end of the iniative.

To further elaborate, if you are in a i1 droid swarm vs i1 droid swarm situation, your droid could die with a calculate still on it, trigger TA-175, gain another calculate, have a friend die to gain a third calculate, then get to attack, spend a calculate to mod dice, spent a calculate to trigger Sear(or Wat, whoever grants psuedo crackshot), and still share a calculate with a friendly before being removed at the end of the i1 iniative.

That was probably clear as mud, but basically all ship abilities still exist until the end of the current iniative (barring crits that interfere with them).

This also comes into play with ships that have abilities other ships can use, like Howlrunner. Say you're running Howl + Inferno Squadron... even if Howlrunner dies at initiative 4, she remains on the table for friendly rerolls until the end of that specific initiative bracket.

image.png.39dba03ad34785ac1d40543cb1910d2b.png

I beleive this is the reference you are looking for.

Rules Reference pg 9

A destroyed ship’s abilities remain active until that ship is removed unless the ability specifies a different timing for the effect to end, such as “until the end of the Engagement Phase.” Such effects remain active until the
end of the specified time.

And page 17

If a ship is removed from the game, it returns all of its tokens to the supply....

Tokens are returned to supply (thus taken out of play) when the ship is removed , NOT when it is destroyed. And the ship is not removed until after the initiative it is destroyed is complete. Thus, Networked Calculations is still active and the calculate token is still in play and able to be used.

Capture.png

Vulture_SD.png