Pinpoint Tractor Array and obstacles

By Slade, in X-Wing Rules Questions

Hello. I read a comment (lost the link) of the interaction between Nantex Pinpiont Tractor Array and obstacles. I understood it has to do with ‘maneuver’ and the barrel roll/boost being a ‘move. The difference between both terms and the consequence for play still boggles my mind and I will have difficulty explaining this on the table in the middle of a fight. Is ther a list of interactions resulting from the Pinpoint Tractor array, the 'tractor' and the ability to take a focus or evade action with the ship?

1. Regarding rocks – am I allowed to take a ‘maneuver’ to end on a rock, trigger the Array ability, tractor my ship off the rock and take a focus or evade action afterwards?

2. Regarding debris – how would the above interaction work? If at all? I understand I obtain a stress from the debris so no focus or evade action but what about the other steps mentioned in point 1 above.

3. Regarding gas clouds – I understand its similar to ‘maneuvering’ on a rock, i.e. point 1 sequence above, but you would also obtain a strain token.

4. I don’t think I can use the Array and tractor my ship onto an obstacle, i.e. a rock and a debris field? But would I still be allowed to change turret facing?

5. How would activating the Array and tractor my ship onto a gas cloud work? Can I change my turret, take a focus or evade action and obtain a strain token while on the gas cloud?

Not sure I covered all possible scenario's above so any other comments are welcome.

Thx.

1. Not exactly, you can complete your maneuver on an asteroid and use Pinpoint Tractor Array(PTA) to barrel roll or boost off of the asteroid and rotate your arc, but since you overlapped the asteroid during your maneuver, you still roll for damage and skip your perform action step. So no focus or evade.

2. The stress from the debris blocks all actions. Since you cannot perform a rotate action while stressed, you cannot use PTA.

3. Same as 1, and roll for strain.

4. You can use PTA to move onto an obstacle since being tractored allows a ship to barrel roll or boost onto obstacles. You would technically rotate before moving so the effects of the obstacle won't prevent that.

You can also tractor your ship and choose not to move in order to rotate your turret and remain in your current position.

5. Yes that looks right. Being tractored onto an gas cloud does not force a ship to skip their perform action step.

Edited by joeshmoe554

Capture.png

1. if you overlap or move through an asteroid or a gas cloud while executing a maneuver, you skip your perform action step. that you use pinpoint tractor array and tractor yourselves somewhere else makes no difference to this what so ever. so no, you do not get to perform a focus or evade action if you maneuver over an asteroid or gas cloud, no matter if you tractor yourself off of that obstacle with the pinpoint tractor array ability.

2. if you move through or overlap debris, you gain stress. thus, you cannot perform actions. no focus, no evade and no rotate action from pinpoint tractor array. also, you cannot even use the pinpoint tractor array ability if you're stressed, since gaining the tractor token is a cost - and you cannot pay costs for effects that cannot be resolved. the effect of performing a rotate action cannot be resolved if you are stressed, since being stressed prevents you from performing actions.

3. if you move through or overlap a gas cloud, you roll an attack die. if it comes up as a hit or a focus result, you gain a strain. other than that, it's just like point 1. above.

4. you can use pinpoint tractor array to move yourself on top of an obstacle after fully executing a maneuver, no problem. you first gain a tractor token, you then perform the rotate action. you then resolve the effect of becoming tractored. if you tractor yourself on top of an asteroid or gas cloud, your roll for damage/strain as normal. you then get your perform action step as well, since you didn't move through or overlap the asteroid or gas cloud while executing a maneuver. the same is true for debris, except you cannot perform an action during your perform action step, since you'd be stressed.

5. yes. you execute your maneuver, elect to use the pinpoint tractor ability, gain a tractor token, perform the rotate action, resolve becoming tractored, tractor yourself on top of the gas cloud, roll for strain, then get your perform action step.

So after engaging PTA if you relocate your own ship after it becomes tractored, it can still take the stress to rotate itself 90 degrees or does it not get the rotate because an opponent didn't move it per PG. 20 of the rules reference?

49 minutes ago, SILENT FURY said:

So after engaging PTA if you relocate your own ship after it becomes tractored, it can still take the stress to rotate itself 90 degrees or does it not get the rotate because an opponent didn't move it per PG. 20 of the rules reference?

The latter.

<_< that's what I was afraid of

3 hours ago, SILENT FURY said:

<_< that's what I was afraid of

its almost as if they wrote that rule with PTA in mind ;)

@emeraldbeacon Were you the one that came up with those awesome Struts flow charts? Would it be too forward of me to ask for a similar one for Nantex reposition timing with obstacles in consideration?

8 hours ago, 5050Saint said:

@emeraldbeacon Were you the one that came up with those awesome Struts flow charts? Would it be too forward of me to ask for a similar one for Nantex reposition timing with obstacles in consideration?

That was me! What did you have in mind? There's aren't many branching choices that would make a Flow Chart that useful... but I can try to come up with something!

I suppose it would be small-ish compared to the struts, but kind of just what was up there. Part of it would be the timing for the pinpoint tractor, like when does the rotate happen. Three branching paths of how each of the three obstacles effect the Nantex's reposition from the maneuver. How the reposition is effected by each obstacle when a Nantex tractor moves through them.

This is one I made a while back... hope it links ok...!

mWiWpIy.jpg

I realize there are some minor errors in here... some terminology, like "did you overlap an obstacle?" would be cleaner, and in the lower left blue box, it says "you may not use..." when it should probably read "you cannot use..." ....but it's reasonably functional, I hope.

Edited by emeraldbeacon

it's very straight forward. you can always use pinpoint tractor array as long as you're not stressed or ionized. you always rotate your arc before resolving the effects of becoming tractored. other than that, activation works as normal

@emeraldbeacon 's chart works, except you cannot pinpoint tractor if you're ionized, since being ionized limits you to the focus action only.

Just now, meffo said:

it's very straight forward. you can always use pinpoint tractor array as long as you're not stressed or ionized. you always rotate your arc before resolving the effects of becoming tractored. other than that, activation works as normal

@emeraldbeacon 's chart works, except you cannot pinpoint tractor if you're ionized, since being ionized limits you to the focus action only.

That's actually covered in the green diamond! If you can't perform normal actions, you cannot use PTA. :D

14 hours ago, emeraldbeacon said:

Wow. I didn't realize you had already provided one. This is great.

On 9/8/2020 at 11:23 PM, emeraldbeacon said:

mWiWpIy.jpg

I realize there are some minor errors in here... some terminology, like "did you overlap an obstacle?" would be cleaner, and in the lower left blue box, it says "you may not use..." when it should probably read "you cannot use..." ....but it's reasonably functional, I hope.

OHNO A WILD NITPICK HAS APPEARED!

...in the "actions" sidebar, maybe Stressed should be bolded, like Ionized or Damaged Sensor Array .

2 hours ago, theBitterFig said:

OHNO A WILD NITPICK HAS APPEARED!

...in the "actions" sidebar, maybe Stressed should be bolded, like Ionized or Damaged Sensor Array .

Yeah, that stood out to me as well :P