Using Nemesis Sets as Modular Sets

By Humantorch101, in Marvel Champions: The Card Game

It came to me this morning that wouldn't it be fun to add Titania into the absorbing man scenario as either an extra modular set or as a replacement.

I am always looking to add more theme into the game and the crusher creel and Titania combo would be a blast.

So my question is that as a house rule once you have selected your heroes and put there Nemesis Sets to the side.

Is there anything stopping you game play wise from adding in one of the unused Nemesis sets into a scenario?

It seems to me as we get more and more heroes to choose from, individual Nemesis Sets will see less and less play over time, so why not add an unused one for that particular game in especially if they make thematic sense with the main villain.

Apart from Titania and absorbing man l can see nice thematic connections with green goblin and vulture, yon rogg and the upcoming Ronan.

Baron zemo and viper and any of the heavy Hydra scenarios, killmonger and klaw,

Loki and anything if your playing Avengers heroes. Really Kang and the collector could justify anything theme wise.

Are there any rules where this would cause a problem?

Just feel using this as a possible house rule sometimes would give us a huge new number or modular sets and increase the theaming at the same time.

Thoughts?

Edited by Humantorch101

I think there's be some potential balance issues, with some cards being above the curve or borderline irrelevant vs certain heroes. There's also a few cases where the nemesis/scheme are based on them coming out together (e.g. Yon-Rogg putting threat on his scheme, or not being able to clear threat from the Abomination scheme while he's in play) and having them just be in the deck will change how they work.

But I don't think there's be any real rules issues, at least so far. Some cards reference certain elements that are specific to their related hero (e.g. Strange's side scheme references his Invocation deck) but none of them are reliant on those elements to work (e.g. in Strange's case, it will just fail to find the Invocation deck but it'll still be a generic side scheme).

It’s obviously not the way those sets were designed to be used, but I don’t see why you couldn’t do it...

I remember hearing of somebody using Spidey's nemesis set as part of a Sinster Six scenario. I can't remember what else went into it, though.

1 hour ago, Tonbo Karasu said:

I remember hearing of somebody using Spidey's nemesis set as part of a Sinster Six scenario. I can't remember what else went into it, though.

Presumably you use Rhino as Villain, adding Spider-Man Nemesis set, Running Interference, a Mess of Things. That'll give you Rhino, Vulture, Tombstone, Scorpion, Sandman and Shocker at least.

59 minutes ago, Tonbo Karasu said:

It'd have to include A Mess of Things (Scorpion) and Power Drain (Electro) in a Green Goblin scenario. Since we're limited, I'd say Running Interference (Tomestone) gets the promotion. I like this idea!

6 hours ago, Humantorch101 said:

It came to me this morning that wouldn't it be fun to add Titania into the absorbing man scenario as either an extra modular set or as a replacement.

Thoughts?

I'm on board! (Apart from theme) I wouldn't want to use the sets of the heroes being used. If you use multiple modular sets, it will slow down the cycling of the encounter deck which I've found makes the scenarios easier.

I'm willing to bet that this type of thing will officially make it into the game at some point. But for now it's cool that if you want, you can just decide to throw them into a scenario and there's not really anything to stop you from doing so.

Though, let's be honest, if straight throwing a hero nemesis set into a scenario from the beginning caused a vortex to open up and drop either Boggs or Caleb into the room to police your game, who wouldn't?

1 hour ago, Duciris said:

It'd have to include A Mess of Things (Scorpion) and Power Drain (Electro) in a Green Goblin scenario. Since we're limited, I'd say Running Interference (Tomestone) gets the promotion. I like this idea!

I'm on board! (Apart from theme) I wouldn't want to use the sets of the heroes being used. If you use multiple modular sets, it will slow down the cycling of the encounter deck which I've found makes the scenarios easier.

Yep as I originally said the heroes being played Nemesis Sets would be off limits as they can come in nor. Ally with shadows of the past.

I was thinking rather than adding more than one modular adding in one. Modular and one Nemesis set. Or even just one Nemesis set instead of one modular just to get more theme and replay ability.

As I said it just strikes me that as time marches on most Nemesis Sets will see less and less play time.

I usually play 3 or 4 player and we normally see one Nemesis come out per game.

Edited by Humantorch101
1 hour ago, Duciris said:

Ah yes, forgot Electro!

I've been doing this since February. I add a random modular encounter set, then a random hero nemesis (from a hero not currently in the game). The only one I recall being kind of funky was Baron Mordo's side scheme- it tells you to place the top card of the invocation deck under it. I actually just put the top card of my hero deck under it.

The reason I support this is because those poor nemesis minions never really get a good shot at the heroes and never really get their time to shine in the spotlight. These villain cameos can always be explained with a little bit of imagination even if thematically they may seem out of place.

Another thing I like about mixing some of these nemesis sets is sometimes they make really interesting mechanical interactions. Black Widow’s nemesis minion Taskmaster is especially punishing against Ironman and Black Panther.

Most importantly, it's fun, and adds replayability to the scenarios.

1 hour ago, HirumaShigure said:

I've been doing this since February. I add a random modular encounter set, then a random hero nemesis (from a hero not currently in the game). The only one I recall being kind of funky was Baron Mordo's side scheme- it tells you to place the top card of the invocation deck under it. I actually just put the top card of my hero deck under it.

The reason I support this is because those poor nemesis minions never really get a good shot at the heroes and never really get their time to shine in the spotlight. These villain cameos can always be explained with a little bit of imagination even if thematically they may seem out of place.

Another thing I like about mixing some of these nemesis sets is sometimes they make really interesting mechanical interactions. Black Widow’s nemesis minion Taskmaster is especially punishing against Ironman and Black Panther.

Most importantly, it's fun, and adds replayability to the scenarios.

I am glad someone is already doing it.

It sounds to me your experience with it was what I was hoping for.

Just makes sense to me going fowwrd say 2 years we will have 40 odd heroes, so the odds of seeing a particular Nemesis villain in play continue to drop.

One of the neat things about Champions' structure is that it's wide open for mixing, matching, and tweaking to make up scenarios. If we want more mileage from our Nemesis sets then we just have to figure out ways to bring them to the forefront - put include them in Villain decks as modules, start with one in play like a Villain's sidekick, or make them the focus of a new scenario. I had a shower-thought about the latter:

Lethal Legion

Setup: choose two unused Nemesis sets per player. Each Nemesis and Side Scheme starts in play while the other cards get combined with the standard (and maybe Expert) Villain cards, along with a modular set or two or maybe more. The Nemeses' health values get multiplied by the number of players so in a 3-player game, a Nemesis with 5 health becomes 15. Their Side Schemes will be the Main Schemes with Target Threat equal to 3x or 4x the amount of Threat they start at - probably best to ignore Crisis icons on any of these and replace that effect with an Acceleration Token or extra Encounter card.

Play: The Nemeses will have an 'active Villain' mechanic similar to The Wrecking Crew to determine which one of them schemes or attacks. Randomly determine which one of them begins the game as active. At the start (or maybe end?) of the Villain Phase, the active villain will change to the next Nemesis down the line of Nemeses. And for more chaos, whenever a Nemesis deck card is drawn as an encounter card the active Villain changes to that Nemesis so they can do their thing. When any one Nemesis Scheme hits its Target Threat, the enemy wins. Heroes win by defeating all Nemesis.

Notes: The Encounter deck won't be normal-sized so it may need to be propped up with extra modular sets or maybe seeing more of these Nemesis deck cards and going through the deck faster will be part of the fun. Numbers are fast and loose here - add more health or ATK or SCH to the Nemesis to make them more challenging, or adjust the Target Threat of the schemes if they're too difficult or easy. Modular sets with named minions could be a good stand-in for a Nemesis as well - Scorpion, Tombstone, M.O.D.O.K., and so on.

On 9/4/2020 at 10:09 AM, jonboyjon1990 said:

Presumably you use Rhino as Villain, adding Spider-Man Nemesis set, Running Interference, a Mess of Things. That'll give you Rhino, Vulture, Tombstone, Scorpion, Sandman and Shocker at least.

I could see someone doing a Wrecking Crew style version with the sets that contain other Spidey villains into the Rhino and Green Goblin decks, then alternating who the active villain is.