Bodhi Rook bypass E-Wings limitation?

By JimbonX2, in X-Wing Rules Questions

Can E-Wing use Bodhi Rooks ability and lock from a friendly ship that is at range 2 from a enemy ship A, when the E-Wing is at range 1 from same enemy ship A?

No.

When it's on a card, "cannot" is absolute. No matter what, an E-wing can never lock something at range 1.

Edited by DR4CO

Also - look at the E - Wing text carefully. It says "cannot acquire". Both words are important. The cannot is an absolute as @DR4CO mentioned, but they also stated that they cannot acquire locks. That means that an E Wing is not allowed, under any circumstances to be given a lock at range one of a target.

It would be different if the text said that they "cannot perform a lock action", as that would just block the ship from individually performing the lock at range one. THEN Bodhi's action would work. Unfortunately the developers thought ahead on that one. When they said E Wings can't lock at range 1, they really meant it.

Screenshot-20200902-144351.jpg

for reference. rules reference page 2.

Just in cases it ever comes up, E-Wings can acquire locks at range 0. So if you bumped, you can either be coordinated a lock action to lock onto a range 0 ship or get a Dutch lock on a ship at range 0.

6 hours ago, cybercat07 said:

That means that an E Wing is not allowed, under any circumstances to be given a lock at range one of a target.

Um..Well not really.

There is a difference between being given a lock, and acquiring one.

I dont think it exists for the Rebel faction at the time of this post, but if an ability were to come out, that allowed a ship to assign or transfer a lock to an E-wing, even if that lock was for a ship at range 1 of it, the E-wing could still gain that lock. Its not common for ships to gain lock tokens this way, but its not unheard of (see Captain Kagi, which i would link the image to, but wiki seems to hate that now)

12 hours ago, 5050Saint said:

Just in cases it ever comes up, E-Wings can acquire locks at range 0. So if you bumped, you can either be coordinated a lock action to lock onto a range 0 ship or get a Dutch lock on a ship at range 0.

Heheh.... technically, you could also fully execute a maneuver while landing at range 0 and still get your action. 😁 👍

8 hours ago, Lyianx said:

Um..Well not really.

There is a difference between being given a lock, and acquiring one.

Ah it seems I have been out-word-smithed!

Hopefully if that ever comes to pass, the developers will clarify that. I'd love an opportunity to drop some seriously modified attacks at range 1 with an E Wing.

Still haven't found the combo that works though. If there is one way it can work- I would love to know it!!!

11 hours ago, JBFancourt said:

Heheh.... technically, you could also fully execute a maneuver while landing at range 0 and still get your action. 😁 👍

:D Good luck arguing with your opponent that you are at range 0 without bumping. :D

Edited by 5050Saint
1 hour ago, 5050Saint said:

:D Good luck arguing with your opponent that you are at range 0 without bumping. :D

Pretty much the only way this could happen is if two ships are parallel and touching (agreed upon by both players before the event), and both ships execute the same (straight) maneuver, remaining parallel and touching after the move.

3 minutes ago, emeraldbeacon said:

Pretty much the only way this could happen is if two ships are parallel and touching (agreed upon by both players before the event), and both ships execute the same (straight) maneuver, remaining parallel and touching after the move.

Or if one executes a 0 stop maneuver.

ending up at range 0 without bumping can happen. it's rare, but can easily happen with the wiggle room. if the margins are that tight, you may actually be able to choose whether to end up at range 0 or not. all perfectly legal. not even bad sportsmanship, if you ask me.

50 minutes ago, meffo said:

ending up at range 0 without bumping can happen. it's rare, but can easily happen with the wiggle room. if the margins are that tight, you may actually be able to choose whether to end up at range 0 or not. all perfectly legal. not even bad sportsmanship, if you ask me.

Outside of Hard Stop scenarios, the rub is getting your opponent to agree that it is range 0. When we're talking <1 millimeter, folks are going to either say it bumped or that it is a VERY close range 1. Range 0 without bumping isn't going to be in their brain catalog.

1 hour ago, 5050Saint said:

Outside of Hard Stop scenarios, the rub is getting your opponent to agree that it is range 0. When we're talking <1 millimeter, folks are going to either say it bumped or that it is a VERY close range 1. Range 0 without bumping isn't going to be in their brain catalog.

Bolded for emphasis. The possibility of it happening is one thing... persuading your opponent to accept it is another altogether.

LazyHeartfeltIbizanhound-small.gif

contrary to popular belief, some players actually know the rules - and are also familiar with the wiggle room the templates leave you. i know plenty of people who switched to last years hyperspace templates, stating that they're good because they leave you with alot of wiggle room. as much as it hurts, you need to accept that this game of ours isn't as precise as you'd like to imagine.

it's also common for players to take every advantage they can. this is one i'm happy to give them, because it's supported by the rules and works perfectly using only official and essential game components.

SygC.gif

Edited by meffo
On 9/2/2020 at 10:00 PM, JBFancourt said:

I'm of the mindset that this essentially never happens in the wild. It might be my background in statistics.

With a continuous distribution of a random variable--like the distance between two ships--the chance of any exact distance like 1mm or 3mm or 0mm is zero. That's just integral calculus. To have exactly 0mm distance between ships, and not 0.01 or overlapping, is infinitesimally likely. I mean, bump-then-stall is going to do it, or the double-straight case defined by rules.

Maybe it'll happen in computer X-Wing, where there aren't the tiniest of variations in templates and placements, but in the real world? As I see it, if it's just two ships moving, it's Range 1 or a bump.

4 hours ago, theBitterFig said:

I'm of the mindset that this essentially never happens in the wild. It might be my background in statistics.

With a continuous distribution of a random variable--like the distance between two ships--the chance of any exact distance like 1mm or 3mm or 0mm is zero. That's just integral calculus. To have exactly 0mm distance between ships, and not 0.01 or overlapping, is infinitesimally likely. I mean, bump-then-stall is going to do it, or the double-straight case defined by rules.

Maybe it'll happen in computer X-Wing, where there aren't the tiniest of variations in templates and placements, but in the real world? As I see it, if it's just two ships moving, it's Range 1 or a bump.

It happened one time so far IRL for me. Two very solidly held down ships and template. Undeniably touching. Undeniably completed.

11 hours ago, theBitterFig said:

Honestly, I would expect it to happen LESS in online games than in person. Digitally, the ships move via "precise" calculations, and have very specific starting and ending points. At the table, there's wiggle room in many templates, and space for player error to get magnified over several turns; a point can easily come where a ship on the move can cleanly fit, directly touching, but not "overlapping," by taking advantage of that innate wiggle room between the templates and the bases.