Crane Tsunami date

By FelixFenix, in Lore Discussion

Hi guys,

Does anyone knows when was the date of the Crane Tsunami? I want to use it as part of my character background and will the best to know how old was he when it happened.

Thanks

It was sometime in 1120. In "Her Father's Daughter", it says, " Three years ago , a devastating tsunami had ravaged the Crane Clan’s coastline, destroying some of the clan’s most fertile lands." I remember getting that timeline from Katrina, but I'm not sure if it's been further specified. Sometime in that year, anyway.

There is a second linked event - You see reference in The Sword and the Spirits - Isawa Kaiyoko's retirement to a monastery came immediately after the tsunami for...."no reason".

I can't find any more accurate date for the event, though.

Also, as another point of reference - the Osari Plains:

"The territory was contested by the Lion Clan who occupied it for three generations before the plains returned to Crane control. After two turns of seasons, the Lion claimed again these lands."

that means the Crane's (re)claiming of the Osari Plains comes immediately in response to the tsunami - which makes sense since they were (a) fertile and (b) inland.

I was just throwing reasonable doubt on the oft-stated 'fact' that the Phoenix caused the Tsunami.

18 minutes ago, Tonbo Karasu said:

I was just throwing reasonable doubt on the oft-stated 'fact' that the Phoenix caused the Tsunami.

Oh, I'm not saying they necessarily caused it - but they definitely think they did.

3 hours ago, Tonbo Karasu said:

Have you seen Kakita Kaori's timeline?

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1wEhIccleYFIsL_C0zKAV3gk4U7XIcjNXokEsuMBbBZM/edit#gid=0

Note that the Crane Tsunami appears to be in the same month as the Mantis action movie to steal the Heart of the Mountain out on a island, which made said mountain erupt massively...

No, unfortunately no, I am fan of her podcasts, and it’s a shame that I missed that. Thanks for the link.

2 hours ago, Magnus Grendel said:

Oh, I'm not saying they necessarily caused it - but they definitely think they did.

I heard that before but don’t recall where...

If it’s true, what in Jigoku we were doing...?

Edited by FelixFenix
2 minutes ago, FelixFenix said:

No, unfortunately no, I am fan of her podcasts, and it’s a shame that I missed that. Thanks for the link.

I heard that before but don’t recall where...

If it’s true, what in Jigoku we were doing...?

The (former) Master of Water was undertaking a powerful invocation to try to indetify / fix the elemental imbalance that has been bugging the Phoenix since the start of the game. That a tsunami happened immediately afterwards and then she retired is seen as indication that she did something wrong.

there is also the Heart of the Mountain story that might have been the cause. I think thhey are intentionally making multiple causes

33 minutes ago, Tonbo Karasu said:

The (former) Master of Water was undertaking a powerful invocation to try to indetify / fix the elemental imbalance that has been bugging the Phoenix since the start of the game. That a tsunami happened immediately afterwards and then she retired is seen as indication that she did something wrong.

Totally Phoenix, sigh...

IF we caused it or inadvertently contributed to it.. did we... never talked with the Champion of the Crane... and say hey I’m sorry, we screwed this badddddly but we’re going to amend this. Isn’t this the right thing to do?

Edited by FelixFenix
2 hours ago, FelixFenix said:

Totally Phoenix, sigh...

IF we caused it or inadvertently contributed to it.. did we... never talked with the Champion of the Crane... and say hey I’m sorry, we screwed this badddddly but we’re going to amend this. Isn’t this the right thing to do?

Do Phoenix admit wrong doing?

1 minute ago, Daeglan said:

Do Phoenix admit wrong doing?

Does the sun ever rise in the west?

Both questions share the same answer.

And maybe we were in the wrong place at the right time or they’re completely innocent, but I will like to see them to say more often my bad... It’s an irony that the Clan founded by probably the humblest Kami is full of arrogance.

Please forgive me for derailing my own thread and ranting. 😔

1 hour ago, FelixFenix said:

And maybe we were in the wrong place at the right time or they’re completely innocent, but I will like to see them to say more often my bad... It’s an irony that the Clan founded by probably the humblest Kami is full of arrogance.

Please forgive me for derailing my own thread and ranting. 😔

well he did humble himself to an arrogant guy...

36 minutes ago, Daeglan said:

well he did humble himself to an arrogant guy...

And that may just be the key. The Elemental Council takes after Isawa while their guardian Yojimbo take after Shiba. The Shiba may want to reach out to the Crane, but the Council holds them back.

6 hours ago, FelixFenix said:

From the Sword and the Spirits - a meeting of the council:

“We still remember what happened when Kaiyoko-sama attempted to correct the balance by herself. She was the strongest among us, her connection to the water kami unparalleled! Yet even with her insights, her ceremony had no effect.”

“I would not say there was no effect,” Tsuke remarked. “The Crane lands weathered a tsunami, after all.”

The Masters paused, then collectively looked at Tsukune. Her face had gone white, and her brush slipped from limp fingers. “Perhaps refrain from writing that part down,” Azunami advised. Ujina, the Master of Void, sighed. “We learned much about the imbalance from that ceremony, but that would be cold comfort to our allies.” The air grew somber. Tsukune had believed, like so many others, that Isawa Kaiyoko had retired willingly to study the Tao of Shinsei. Now, however, hearing this, she was not so sure the retirement had been voluntary.

And the reason that we have never spoken to anyone about it, from the same place:

"Tsukune-sama," Tsuke aid, leaning on the table to regard her openly, "the Lion have long looked upon our lands with jealous eyes. If they discerned we could not depend on the kami to defend ourselves, do you think they would sit idly by, or would they attempt to take them?"

I’m sorry to ask the dumb question. But where I can get more info on how does this Elemental Imbalance works?

Can we or can we not talk to the kami? How’s this reflected? How the kami will answer our prayers:

a) No apparently change when calling fo their help.

b) Slightly more difficult.

c) Delayed?

d) With unexpected results?

e) Flipping their spiritual finger and saying screw you fire chickens you have abused us for so long...

Did any of the stories say at least if we sent humanitarian help to our allies?

Edited by FelixFenix

Page 267 of the Core book. It increases the TN to perform invocations and kihos

As far as story effects go, it has caused Fire invocations to grow more vigorous and water invocations to grow less vigorous, among other things.

There has been no note whatsoever of Phoenix humanitarian or other aid regarding the tsunami, though it was three years ago in the timeline so there may have been some just not mentioned. Given the way that natural disasters tend to work in this type of society, and the Asahina focus on reparation and redemption, it is likely that the Asahina are still looking for what they might have done wrong to cause such a calamity to befall the Crane. But we only have one fiction from an Asahina POV and she was somewhat unconventional compared to her leadership so we don't know what they think about the whole thing.

On 9/1/2020 at 8:53 AM, KakitaKaori said:

As far as story effects go, it has caused Fire invocations to grow more vigorous and water invocations to grow less vigorous, among other things.

There has been no note whatsoever of Phoenix humanitarian or other aid regarding the tsunami, though it was three years ago in the timeline so there may have been some just not mentioned. Given the way that natural disasters tend to work in this type of society, and the Asahina focus on reparation and redemption, it is likely that the Asahina are still looking for what they might have done wrong to cause such a calamity to befall the Crane. But we only have one fiction from an Asahina POV and she was somewhat unconventional compared to her leadership so we don't know what they think about the whole thing.

and of course Heart of the Mountain opens the door to it not being the Pheonix but being the Mantis...and I suspect the writers will ever tell us what REALLY happened. That is for your GM to decide at your table. :)

For now that's the case, yes. For obvious reasons, I'm personally in favor of it being the Mantis Clan's fault. 😉

That said, the tsunami is kind of a big deal in that its effect is still being felt by Crane, and the effect of their response to it has rippled out across Rokugan. This could very well be a plot point that the story team decides to reveal more details on down the road. After all, The Sword and the Spirits casually mentions Tsukune writing a letter to the Crane Clan Champion right in the last paragraph, and there's been no word on what she was writing or whether she sent that letter...

Edited by Kaito Kikaze