Rules for programming new ice/ice breakers?

By ddbrown30, in Shadow of the Beanstalk

It's hinted at narratively in the book, but are there any specific rules for a PC to write their own ice or ice breakers or is the only option to purchase them?

I'm not aware of any rules in the book involving making new ones. In my game I just followed the normal crafting rules using the base rarities and costs of the existing gear.

I would just ask my players "what is the main purpose of the ICE/Icebreaker." Then we'd just try and create an effect to represent that.

Where are the crafting rules? I just took a quick scan through both books and their indices and I don't see anything. Unless you're just talking about the rules for the GM to create new items for the game?

Oh, I did just find something for my original question. There's a talent named Custom Code which improves either an icebreaker or a piece of ice you own

On 8/30/2020 at 11:49 AM, ddbrown30 said:

Where are the crafting rules? I just took a quick scan through both books and their indices and I don't see anything. Unless you're just talking about the rules for the GM to create new items for the game?

Crafting rules are found in Realms of Terrinoth. Basically, make an appropriate skill check (in this case Computer [SysOps]) with a difficulty equal to half the rarity of the item. It takes one day plus one day per point of rarity (so a rarity 5 program would take 6 days). Cost if half of what it would normally cost.

Then you just spend symbols to make it better/worse.

I have been working on a supplement of sorts to increase the options for a runner/Sysop. New programs (ice, icebreakers, and a new utility type), custom rig math, new mechanic to measure how many utility programs one rig can have active, rules for installable programs, and finally rules (and Advantage/Threat/Triumph/Despair tables) for crafting programs. Like mentioned above, it is essentially a reskinning on the crafting rules in RoT but fit to the Computers (Sysop) skill.

I originally wanted to make something that would allow for truly unique custom programs on the fly but after a lot of thinking, I think that would have to just be up to the PC and GM at the table (or before the table). The additional effects of programs do not lend themselves nicely to an easily customizable mechanic.