How to use Playmat

By lecudas, in Legend of the Five Rings: The Roleplaying Game

So, I know the gamemat is not actually out yet, but it can be pre-ordered. You can get a good look of it here .

But I am curious - how would you actually use this? The initiative tracker for example... Would you place a token for each PC and NPC on the corresponding number? And what about stances? It would make sense if each player had a "stance wheel" in front of them - but what would you do with the one on the gamemat? I am just confused as how to actually use it in-game.

So, from the looks of it, each player should have their own color of tokens (glass beads)? You give one of your tokens to the GM, who places it on the initiative track. You place one of your tokens on one of the 5 elements, and the remaining tokens are put in your Void Pool to represent the VP you have left. This could go especially well if each player plays a character from a different clan, since you could use tokens in the color of your clan. I guess the GM would have their own supply of colored tokens, that could be used to represent different NPCs to put on the tracker and stance.

Now that being said, I agree that the layout of this mat could have been much better. Also, this mat has been announced over a year and a half ago. I'm really surprised this hasn't been released yet.

2 hours ago, Veruca said:

So, from the looks of it, each player should have their own color of tokens (glass beads)? You give one of your tokens to the GM, who places it on the initiative track. You place one of your tokens on one of the 5 elements, and the remaining tokens are put in your Void Pool to represent the VP you have left. This could go especially well if each player plays a character from a different clan, since you could use tokens in the color of your clan. I guess the GM would have their own supply of colored tokens, that could be used to represent different NPCs to put on the tracker and stance.

Now that being said, I agree that the layout of this mat could have been much better. Also, this mat has been announced over a year and a half ago. I'm really surprised this hasn't been released yet.

I'm fairly certain this pre-order is for a reprint of the original limited production.

17 hours ago, T_Kageyasu said:

I'm fairly certain this pre-order is for a reprint of the original limited production.

It is not a reprint as the original has never come out yet. I preordered day oneish, so I would know. :( Yes I am salty on it.

The mat is like the Star Wars one. It would sit in the middle of the table for all to see. And the initiative tracker would use either tokens from the beginner game, adventures, or made by the players. Void pool you could use whatever you'd like I suppose. And a nice dice legend for new players. I really want to like it..

I collected all the Void rings from people's extra cores to use as Void Points - they're chunky and obvious, with the Void symbol on.

I've used black poker chips as Void points. Back before Corona...

I mean, I will probably get it, but I'm not really sure how useful it will be in it's design. We will see. I may 3D-print some cool clan tokens and void tokens to use... Hmm. 🤔