Discussion Threads Idea to Liven this Place Up

By ObiWonka, in Marvel Champions: The Card Game

For such a great, hot new game, it's awfully quiet around here. Do you think it would help if we had some threads specifically for discussing different topics? We could ask about getting them organized into subfora, too, to help manage the clutter. X-Wing for example has: Squad Builder, Battle Reports, Organized Play , Rules Questions, Painting and Modification, Squad Lists, Epic Play, Off-Topic, Mission Control Technical Support and Feedback Forum. Obviously, only a couple of those might apply to Marvel Champions, but the idea's the same: to provide a bit of a map and guide to discussions.

For Marvel Champions, I'm thinking:

Heroes Excelsior!

• A thread for each hero, to discuss deckbuilding and strategies for your favorite
  • A thread for each aspect, for things that pertain to them but not necessarily in the context of a given hero

Villains Take 'em down.

• A thread for each scenario, whether standard, expert, or otherwise
  • A thread for each modular, similar to aspect discussion, on their own

Battle Reports Share your finest superhero moments and learn from others

• Like the X-Wing forum, a place to record plays

Organized Play Locate Marvel Champions players and events near you

• For if/when it comes back

Rules Questions A place to discuss the rules and clarifications for Marvel Champions

• New players and enthusiasts alike all need help from time to time

Variants Creativity is a superpower

• Ideas for alternative difficulties, fighting one Wrecking Crew member at a time, etc.
  • Custom content (if it's allowed?)

And then this general forum for, well, general discussion, but also spoilers and news articles and such (like content creation, though maybe that could have its own subforum, too). What do you think?

would be nice for more organization, its kinda hard to find threads.

I think the reason that it's quiet is that there are a lot of other places discussion is happening. Reddit, Facebook, Discord, etc.

I came out of the Facebook group some time ago.

For some reason it was quite sarcastic and unfriendly to new players asking questions.

I don't know what the reason was, but overall many discussions became heated.

I find this community very respectful.

I also read the boards at bgg which seems very active.

facebook is too cluttered for me with players saying the game is too easy and then posting videos of solo plays with several play mistakes or watered down villain decks. 😒

38 minutes ago, IceHot42 said:

facebook is too cluttered for me with players saying the game is too easy and then posting videos of solo plays with several play mistakes or watered down villain decks. 😒

Yes, I can't put my finger on it, it's just not a cool atmosphere.

The moderator is very heavy handed as well, telling people off for posting that they have received products.

Really didn't like it.

Out of curiosity, @Humantorch101 would you consider yourself a "Johnny" on the spot or more of a "Jim"-Dandy.

42 minutes ago, IceHot42 said:

Out of curiosity, @Humantorch101 would you consider yourself a "Johnny" on the spot or more of a "Jim"-Dandy.

Oh for sure a Jim.

5 hours ago, IceHot42 said:

I've found that whatever reason, the main Arkham facebook group is way friendlier and easier to deal with overall than the main Champions group. Although the Arkham group admittedly did have a big kerfuffle recently, I find people being rude/condescending on that group to be the exception rather than the norm. Can't say that about most other gaming groups I've seen.

I know there are lots of places for discussion these days, but it seems like the official forums should be one of them. And it's unfortunate that some of those other communities aren't so welcoming. If this place was organized, nice, and helpful I think it would make sense as the go-to for discussion.

It'll also help when we really get rolling on the releases again. The whole coronavirus thing causing releases to get pushed back killed the conversation. It was actually pretty lively in here before.

Forums are a great way to track conversations and engage in meaningful discussion.

The Reddit group mileage varies but I'm not sure if there is a high volume of post engagement there. Those that do use Reddit are great to talk with though.

The BGG group mod team is far too heavy handed for my liking so I've disengaged from there completely.

There is a discord which is how I've met most of my international friends playing FFG games over the years but I know that it can be hard to keep up with/feel included to be confident in joining on going discussions.

The official forums is a great place to cultivate a community and with regular releases rolling around and everyone being the change they want to see I'm sure they will remain rather active. There seems to be posts rather frequently and a campaign box is sure to engage everyone :)!

Edited by AlterEgos
punctuation.
17 hours ago, IceHot42 said:

It also appears that players in that group play solo against Rhino for about 70% of their plays. I'm not judging, play what is fun to you, but it's weird how many opinions of heroes, cards, modular sets etc on that group are probably based just on playing Rhino without experiencing other villains.

But yeah I can always find the correct answer to a rules question with supporting snippets of rules reference somewhere in the thread but there are often a few incorrect ones as well, which makes me wonder how many players are actually playing correctly (and not just for rare edge cases like Wonder Man having to discard a card to get rid of stun, how did Wonder Man even get stunned to begin with).

So how do we do it? Do we make holding threads as per the original poster suggested?

I really like the idea of megathreads for characters, aspects, villains, etc. I'd be keen to see these!

I need 5 more data points (hopefully this weekend and I will start my analytics thread)....does that help?

That's a good point about the lull while waiting for Rise of Red Skull, though it still seems less active here than elsewhere. But that means it's also probably a good time to get these threads started, so all that new discussion will have somewhere to go (instead of just chaos on the main forum, or worse, a single thread about the box). Analysis thread(s) of some kind is probably also a good idea.