Strange situation involving Crassosaurus

By Casual_Player, in KeyForge

Hi there guys. I have a question involving Crassosaurus. Yesterday my friend played Crassosaurus while he had 6 aember and i had 5. The catch is that, he was playing Untamed and before he played an effect that allowed him to gain 1 aember for each creature played in that turn, and his plan was to gain 7 aember this way and then play Key Charge. He said that, to prevent Crassosaurus from capture his own aember, he could play it by choosing "0" as the "any combination of players" from which capture the aember, hence the Crassosaurus would purge itself without messing with his aember. I disagreed with that, telling him that he had to capture 10 no matter what and therefore capture at least 5 of his own aember, thus losing the change to win with Key Charge. We could not make up our minds about how the correct way to play that card was, and since he had no other creatures to play and reach 7 aember with, we called it a draw.

Even tho that was still a quite situational case, is there any clarification about how Crassosaurus works? I made a little search on the internet but could not find an answer. Thank you for your help.

There's an open question about Crassosaurus to FFG to confirm it, but the most prevalent interpretation is that Crassosaurus's ability works similarly to a replacement effect for the source of captured Æmber. If the combined total of Æmber in both players' pools is greater than 10, the active player chooses how much Æmber is sourced from each pool, but if 10 Æmber can be captured, then it must be captured.

Shame he didn't have Word of Returning in that deck. THEN Crassosaurus would have been hilarious to set up the keycharge.

So it should work as i expected, which i think it's the simpliest and the intended way. Ok. Not that important after all. Assuming you don't want to capture your own aember, you can always discard the guy and be done with it.

12 hours ago, Simplegarak said:

Shame he didn't have Word of Returning in that deck. THEN Crassosaurus would have been hilarious to set up the keycharge.

It's a quirk AF deck already. It got the Star Trek captain that allowed him to play the Crassosaurus in other houses turn, and a slew of other rares i think i never saw beofre.

10 hours ago, Casual_Player said:

Assuming you don't want to capture your own aember, you can always discard the guy and be done with it.

Well, on a turn you have chosen Saurion, yes. ;)

That's why some effects that allow you to discard or archive any card on other turns are so good.