Innsmouth Mythos Pack 1: In Too Deep

By MGlas1, in Arkham Horror: The Card Game

I don't recall seeing an article about this, but I could be wrong. While browsing the Asmodee store, I came across this:
https://store.us.asmodee.com/catalogue/ah-lcg-in-too-deep_3034/
It shows some player cards, though I can't quite make out the wording. Interestingly, this is the first AH:LCG preorder (other than Barkham) in the last year or so that hasn't included a preorder bonus (art cards or bookmark). Or at least it isn't listed on the page yet.

Ah yes, well spotted. Those were posted about elsewhere (I think Reddit at least) but I don't know if they were mentioned here before now.

The player cards shown are:

Eldritch Sophist, level 0 Seeker asset. 4 resources, 1 willpower icon. Ally slot, traits: Ally, Miskatonic . 1 health, 3 sanity.

Uses (3 secrets). [Free trigger] Exhaust Eldritch Sophist: Move 1 secret or charge from an asset you control to another asset controlled by an investigator at your location.

Once you let go of your assumptions, anything is possible.

---

Armageddon, level 0 Mystic asset. 4 resources, 1 combat icon. Arcane slot, traits: Spell, Cursed .

Uses (3 charges). [Action trigger] Spend 1 charge: Fight . This attack uses [willpower] instead of [combat] and deals +1 damage. If a [Curse] token is revealed during this attack, you may deal 1 damage to an enemy at your location or place 1 charge on Armageddon.

---

Righteousness, level 1 Guardian event. 1 resource, 1 combat & 1 agility icon. Trait: Tactic .

Engage . Choose an enemy [...] away. Move (one location [...] enemy's location, engage [...] the chaos bag equal to [...].

(some incomplete flavour text). Extrapolating from the card text, it seems to allow you to move to an enemy at least 2 locations away and engage them, then put presumably Blessing tokens in the bag equal to some unknown variable.

---

Breaking and Entering, level 0 Rogue event. 2 resources, 1 intellect & 1 agility icon. Trait: Trick .

[...]add your [agility] value [...] investigation. if [...] may automatically [...]tion. This [...] of opportunity.

(some incomplete flavour text. It's hard to be certain, but it seems to be an investigation where you also add your agility, that doesn't provoke attacks of opportunity, and a rider that either automatically fails or succeeds if a certain criterion is met - at a guess, if you reveal a Curse token since curses are a Rogue theme.

---

Armageddon is an interesting card for sure, being a worse Shrivelling but with no horror backlash and a cool Curse synergy and nice art, but a bit underwhelming given the name. Eldritch Sophist is by far the card I'm most interested in, you can do all kinds of fun things with his ability.

8 minutes ago, Allonym said:

Armageddon is an interesting card for sure, being a worse Shrivelling but with no horror backlash and a cool Curse synergy and nice art, but a bit underwhelming given the name. Eldritch Sophist is by far the card I'm most interested in, you can do all kinds of fun things with his ability.

Well, this is the level 0 version of it. Picture a 5XP version. Instant kill? Damage multiple enemies (and possibly investigators/self?) I think it could be a decent starter spell as it is. Put two of those and two Shrivelling in a new deck, and whatever you turn up will work out.

It seems odd to me that so much has been leaked, but no official announcement of the first Mythos pack has been made yet. Am I remembering wrong, but don’t those announcements drop about 3 months ahead of their release?

Found these on a UK games shop website...

arkhamlcgintoodeep.png.3d4b4b3b3a58eb85acb8588112f7c48b.png arkhamlcgdevilreef-e1596285957653.png.ea97995c0d8438e74fb4824f3cd90d2d.png arkhamlcghorrorinhighgear-e1596286132201.png.495c852fe84b6b22876cfc4d42492d7a.png arkhamlcgalightinthefog-e1596286244425.png.bdb481ce938761e564ff0c0ffec4576e.png arkhamlcgthelairofdagon-e1596286357373.png.a529652265264ab5f8bdf6d08cfb3f98.png arkhamlcgintothemaelstrom-e1596286466571.png.f307fe9eef31168e4585aff8978b2e12.png

arkhamlcgdevilreef-e1596285957653.png

Edited by psmythirl

Who knew that the band Sum 41 were tied into the Mythos? That's a plot twist and a half...

5 hours ago, dysartes said:

Who knew that the band Sum 41 were tied into the Mythos? That's a plot twist and a half...

They missed a helluva pun though...

Inn Too Deep

I gave Dream Eaters a miss, but I'm really liking the look of this cycle already.

21 hours ago, Janaka said:

I gave Dream Eaters a miss, but I'm really liking the look of this cycle already.

Dream Eaters is one of my faves, but the player card options are getting nuts...I'd like to stop and just get more scenarios, but player cards keep showing up...

Some fun cards in here - really like the site layout and am wondering how the barrier tokens will work. Are we getting more resource tokens as part of the Deluxe box I wonder? Sounds like we could run out really quick with all these resource tokens on the board.

RM

This pack looks like a straight-up bomb.

The scenario looks like a lot of fun; I'm guessing that there's only one copy of each location, but there's already replayability from the sheer volume of them. Additionally, this looks like one of those scenarios that asks you to gamble how much time you can spend screwing around with alternate objectives without getting murdered, which are always fun. So I'm up on the scenario already.

As for the cards, I'm loving these Mystic spells that are just Shriveling and Rite of Seeking for more money and no drawback. The curse token effects on them are a really nice complication on top of what's already a strong card, and they're also independent of success, which is really cool (at least this one is; I want to say Armageddon is the same way but I can't remember). Theosophist we've seen and he's interesting and all, but I'm super intrigued by this whistle. Engage actions are pretty worthless unless the scenario/campaign has a lot of aloof enemies (I'm looking at you, Dunwich), but I feel like getting a free one every round might show me they're more valuable than I think. It's cut off in the image, but it might occupy the accessory slot, which would suck. Still, I might slot one in as a "second copy" of Hallowed Mirror. For Zoey, quite strong.

The craziest thing about the pack though is these covenants. They remind me of the permanent talents from Dunwich: Higher Ed, Streetwise, etc, but actually balanced this time. Their price point of 2 exp is also very relevant since 2 is where most "off-class" deckbuilding requirements cap out. The first two they've shown look extremely powerful for a very nominal investment, so they look like something that people will want to include in maybe every deck? They're not totally universal though: unlike the old permanents, you are going to need some bless/curse manip to make them really shine. What we can't tell yet from the previews is the kind of saturation we can expect for token manip, but it's looking pretty decent. The real question is if the token generation will be incidental enough to create a strong "token economy" without taking away from a deck's focus.

All will be revealed... in time. Can't wait

7 hours ago, SGPrometheus said:

Engage actions are pretty worthless unless the scenario/campaign has a lot of aloof enemies

This depends heavily on the number of players. In larger player counts, friendly fire becomes a real threat. I see the Whistle following the same usage pattern that Blackjack does.

I've found Taunt to be immensely valuable at higher player counts. Seen enough situations where it was "There's a Whipporwill, and an enemy attacking the seeker, and another enemy attacking the survivor? Time for Zoey to Taunt!"

I can see the whistle following similar patterns.

8 hours ago, Buhallin said:

This depends heavily on the number of players. In larger player counts, friendly fire becomes a real threat. I see the Whistle following the same usage pattern that Blackjack does.

Exactly. Any group with a dedicated seeker at a 3-player count or higher will benefit from cards like taunt and the whistle. The more specialized the decks in the group, the more you're going to need to lean on your guardians/fighters/evaders to keep you safe. Even in 2 player, these cards can be invaluable. But obviously if you're a true solo player, these (and other cards) lose almost all value.

I've been playing with a custom survivor through FA whose sig asset has a few uses to free-trigger to engage any number of enemies at her location, and boy has it gotten us out of some scrapes.

On 8/28/2020 at 2:08 AM, Buhallin said:

*shrug* I agree that more enemies make the whistle better, but my friends and I play 5-handed and we mostly just shoot at each other and hope for the best. That being said, having a whistle then would have been nice.

So there's a number of nuances to the Whistle that will govern how effective it ultimately ends up being.

The first is that it takes an action to play. So until you use it twice, you aren't ahead on actions - and it will take several uses to become economically advantageous in a strict sense. If you get it down early and you're a dedicated monster-hunter, you could very easily benefit hugely, but if your friends are happy for you to take risky shots while they're engaged with enemies, or have their own evade or disengage or combat options, it could end up being a net loss.

That said, the second is that it gives you actions when you need them - you can play the Whistle on a turn where you have a spare action, and use the extra action to respond when things go sideways all of a sudden.

The third is that you can get it into play with Sleight of Hand or Joey "The Rat" Vigil and so forth - which can overall provide extra action efficiency.

The fourth is that it's really helpful against Aloof enemies - Whippoorwills in Dunwich and Silver Twilight enemies in TCU, for example - and has some other synergies like Pay Day, Machete and Zoey. It might go some way to redeeming Machete, which has fallen from favour after the taboo.

The fifth is that it works well for a tag team if you carefully structure and sequence your turns. 2-person strategies are already strong with cards like Self-sacrifice, Leadership and Safeguard. If you have the Whistle, or better yet if two investigators both have Whistles, you can pass an enemy back and forth to take turns without taking attacks of opportunity - and in many cases, especially with powerful soak cards and Peter Sylvestre/Jessica Hyde, attacks in the enemy phase alone aren't a huge problem. Imagine Yorick taking his entire turn to investigate, fight, play cards, move, whatever, then spending his extra action to engage at the end of his turn, then the other investigator taking their own turn without fear of opportunity attacks, before Yorick kills it in the Enemy phase with Survival Knife and Aquinnah. Or Spellcaster Zoey and Joe Diamond merrily passing enemies back and forth so they can keep investigating, and just soaking up the enemy phase hits because they'll win before they die - or both equipped with Machetes and both using the Whistle to ensure that neither has more than one enemy engaged at once.

I don't know if it's a good card, but I see a lot of potential.

Also a few other points: We can now more or less extrapolate the full text of Breaking and Entering:

Investigate : Add your [agility] to your skill value for this investigation. If you succeed by 2 or more, automatically evade an enemy at your location. This action does not provoke attacks of opportunity.

Also, it looks like Mariner's Compass is Fire Axe, but for Investigation, and requires exhausting.

I'm here for a minimal asset Dark Horse deck, though for Silas at least he'll be vulnerable to horror - probably Mme Labranche, Fire Axe, Mariner's Compass, Dark Horse, maybe Cherished Keepsake or Grisly Totem, optionally upgrading to On Your Own and using Perseverance to cover for his sanity.

Edited by Allonym

Yeah, I think the whistle will end up feeling pretty good. In general when we take risky shots at our teammates, it's because we're choosing between engaging it and not killing it, or not engaging it and killing it. The free action from the whistle allows us to engage it AND kill it, instead of having to choose and take the risk. I do still want to know if it takes the accessory slot though.

9 hours ago, SGPrometheus said:

*shrug* I agree that more enemies make the whistle better, but my friends and I play 5-handed and we mostly just shoot at each other and hope for the best. That being said, having a whistle then would have been nice.

5-handed?

The Whistle might make for an interesting third drop from Ever Vigilant, if you've only seen two cards in hand that you definitely need in play, and have the resource spare.

In thinking about the site layout a bit more I am wondering if all the sites are connected to the east, north, west, and south and you can move freely between them with certain sites being more difficult to get to based on their barrier tokens in play. So you can take the path of least resistance but you face more perils or you can take the road less traveled and not face as many perils and treacheries.

Either way looking forward to learning more about this and the deluxe box as well.

RM

27 minutes ago, OC Architect said:

In thinking about the site layout a bit more I am wondering if all the sites are connected to the east, north, west, and south and you can move freely between them with certain sites being more difficult to get to based on their barrier tokens in play. So you can take the path of least resistance but you face more perils or you can take the road less traveled and not face as many perils and treacheries.

I believe that to be the case. However, looking at the way the barriers are set up, it looks like the path of least resistance (going for 1 barrier instead of 3) would force you to snake your way through the town, wasting a lot of moves and exposing you to even more dangerous locations. So there might not actually be an easy path?

I'm very excited for this scenario.

12 minutes ago, SGPrometheus said:

I believe that to be the case. However, looking at the way the barriers are set up, it looks like the path of least resistance (going for 1 barrier instead of 3) would force you to snake your way through the town, wasting a lot of moves and exposing you to even more dangerous locations. So there might not actually be an easy path?

I'm very excited for this scenario.

'Easy' in the sense you don't have to break down barriers. Sure you can move freely between locations with no barriers but then you take damage or horror or have to draw the top card of the encounter deck. I assume there will be some type of test to break or get through barriers. Also, I think there are some locations that have no barriers on them vertically.

Oh, and throw in there that your location could get flooded giving boost to enemies and the 'easier' path might start to look more appealing no matter the consequences. :)

RM

Edited by OC Architect