stuff from movies like 47 ronin and the great wall

By Daeglan, in Legend of the Five Rings: The Roleplaying Game

how would you stat things like the kirin?

The Tengu swords?

The dog creatures attacking the wall?

The witch

The Tengu swords I would consider something like Omeka. Even with the rules in Shadowlands, it is impossible for a rank 6 Kakita Artisan to produce a blade like that with the given rules.

Granted, I've never watched any of these movies, so I will only pitch in with the blades.

52 minutes ago, Diogo Salazar said:

The Tengu swords I would consider something like Omeka. Even with the rules in Shadowlands, it is impossible for a rank 6 Kakita Artisan to produce a blade like that with the given rules.

Granted, I've never watched any of these movies, so I will only pitch in with the blades.

You should give 47 Ronin a watch. Just think of it as an L5R movie that barrows the story ;)

I have watched the Keanu Reeves version. While I agree that it is a good movie, the problem is that they should have ether stuck to the straight historical series of events without the supernatural overtones, or they should have gone with a completely new setting and characters, dispensing with the historical aspect. The Ako incident does not play well with a larger than life high fantasy kind of story. It was a decent fantasy story, but that is precisely why it was panned in Japan.

Oh, and Ko Shibasaki was quite the hottie.

1 hour ago, neilcell said:

I have watched the Keanu Reeves version. While I agree that it is a good movie, the problem is that they should have ether stuck to the straight historical series of events without the supernatural overtones, or they should have gone with a completely new setting and characters, dispensing with the historical aspect. The Ako incident does not play well with a larger than life high fantasy kind of story. It was a decent fantasy story, but that is precisely why it was panned in Japan.

Oh, and Ko Shibasaki was quite the hottie.

I enjoyed it as a L5R movie. But when I saw the trailers I said not 47 ronin but looks fun.

Which is why i think it is ripe for barrowing elements for L5R

The Tengu Swords would be unbreakable katanas that has Deadliness equal to the wielder's Honor Rank x 2. So they are just neat swords in the hands of the honorless, but they are absolutely deadly in the hands of the strong-hearted.

The monsters from the Great Wall would use the profile of the Bear from the core rulebook but also have the Otherworldly trait.

6 hours ago, AtoMaki said:

The Tengu Swords would be unbreakable katanas that has Deadliness equal to the wielder's Honor Rank x 2. So they are just neat swords in the hands of the honorless, but they are absolutely deadly in the hands of the strong-hearted.

The monsters from the Great Wall would use the profile of the Bear from the core rulebook but also have the Otherworldly trait.

I like it

What about the Which and the Kirin?

The Witch is tricky because her power set was "whatever the plot required". I would probably stat her as a Deadly Bloodspeaker with the Moon Cultist invocations added, and the ability to transform into an Otherworldly Fox or a Sinister Oni.

I'm fairly sure that the Kirin is already in the core rulebook.

1 hour ago, AtoMaki said:

The Witch is tricky because her power set was "whatever the plot required". I would probably stat her as a Deadly Bloodspeaker with the Moon Cultist invocations added, and the ability to transform into an Otherworldly Fox or a Sinister Oni.

I'm fairly sure that the Kirin is already in the core rulebook.

I guess the way to do the witch is to create the maho invocations for what she did and make them the appropriate level for their power level. I believe she would be a Kitsune

Given it's size and the way it acted, I'd be tempted to use the Rhino from Path of Waves for the Ki-Rin.

9 hours ago, AtoMaki said:

Nice concept!

If you wanted to stick within existing stuff, a nemurani with someyhingnlike biting steel could work too - arguing that it's Kai's skills, as much as honour, that drives it.

The dog creatures I'd say use either wolves or - if you don't think them nasty enough - the Creating Waves wolf guardian. Bear in mind that's a scary adversary so a pack of them would be terrifying even for high-level samurai. Give them a disadvantage related to lodestone and you're good.

Another good movie with elements you might want to add is Jackie Chan and Jet Li's movie "The Forbidden Kingdom".

There’s also The Kingdom. it can bring quite a Crab vibe, plus, the hats are awesome.

2 hours ago, neilcell said:

Another good movie with elements you might want to add is Jackie Chan and Jet Li's movie "The Forbidden Kingdom".

I liked that one too