Citation Needed

By Lord Dust, in Star Wars: Force and Destiny RPG

People throwing around common knowledge, and I have no clue where it comes from. Can I get help tracking down the sources?

1. One Force power pre-turn.
2. Only one Force power pre-triggering scenario.
3. Combined Skill Checks(Duel wielding is the only one I know of, but I seen people claim they don't exist.)
4. Skill vs Force checks, What is the mechanical difference and, Is there a difference in a combined skill check?
5. Long term committed Force Dice.(1+ sessions)
6. Reducing a force rating to zero renders force talents deactivated.

Are these right?

If you can help, thank you.

1. F&D CORE p.282: "using the power requires one action in structured time". Also, F&D CORE p.206: "Each character may normally only perform one action during his turn" (there are also talents that allow you to perform one action as a maneuver, for example, although I'm not aware of any such talents affecing Force Power usage).
2. I haven't a clue what this means
3. Again, I don't know what this means, but there's a "COMBINED FORCE POWER CHECKS" section on F&D CORE p.280. Also, "TWO-WEAPON COMBAT" is described on F&D CORE p.217.
4. Skill checks use (potentially) all non-force dice, deriving pools from Characteristics, Skill rank, and difficulty +modifiers and talents etc. Force checks use the white Force Dice, have no "difficulty", and instead you spend Force Points generated to activate effects. As for "combined skill checks", see answer 3.
5. F&D CORE p.282, Sidebar "COMITTING FORCE DICE OVER MULTIPLE ENCOUNTERS"
6. Hm... is it possible to reduce someone's Force Rating?

Edited by angelman2
7 minutes ago, angelman2 said:

One could commit as many Force dice as one has Force Rating, effectively lowering the Force Rating to 0 as long as all Force Dice remain committed. Of course, this doesn't really shut down all Force related talents and such, as you are commiting Force dice for some Force effect or another.

And then there are Ysalamiri, of course. Or other Force nullifying effects as needed by the scenario. But those would, and should, be rare.

48 minutes ago, Xcapobl said:

One could commit as many Force dice as one has Force Rating, effectively lowering the Force Rating to 0 as long as all Force Dice remain committed. Of course, this doesn't really shut down all Force related talents and such, as you are commiting Force dice for some Force effect or another.

And then there are Ysalamiri, of course. Or other Force nullifying effects as needed by the scenario. But those would, and should, be rare.

Ah, I misunderstood. (I was imagining some evil Force Rating reduction power or artifact or whatever). Lowering the Force Rating to 0 through committing Force Dice doesn't make one no longer Force Sensitive (as per F&D CORE p.282), so I assume your Force based talents are not canceled (except if a talent asks you to roll Force Dice, as you cannot do that since you no longer have any available Force Dice to roll).

Edited by angelman2

As for Ysalamiri, perhaps they have something like the Supress Force Power with a combined Force Rating equal to the number of Ysalamiri in short range? Something like that? (And probably also the Shroud talent)

2 hours ago, angelman2 said:

1. F&D CORE p.282: "using the power requires one action in structured time". Also, F&D CORE p.206: "Each character may normally only perform one action during his turn" (there are also talents that allow you to perform one action as a maneuver, for example, although I'm not aware of any such talents affecing Force Power usage).

There are a couple talents that allow you to make a Force power check as a Maneuver, so you could perform two. The Force is My Ally (2 Strain) and Force Assault (3 Advantage/Triumph on a failed Lightsaber combat check). With Force Assault, it's still only one per turn (and only Move) unless you also have The Force is My Ally. The Force is My Ally is once per session, and you could use it to perform a Force power check as a Maneuver and then perform another one as an Action.

8 hours ago, Lord Dust said:

It takes a Force power check to trigger a Force power. Triggering a Force power is an Action. You can't roll for two Force powers at the same time.
To clarify what I mean in case we have our wires crossed, here's an example:
You have FR 5 and want to roll both Move and Sense. You roll all 5 dice, spending pips to activate both. This is wrong. It takes an Action and a separate roll for each.

8 hours ago, Lord Dust said:

3. Combined Skill Checks(Duel wielding is the only one I know of, but I seen people claim they don't exist.)

I'm not sure what you mean by this, but I'll address a few different examples in hopes I get what you're asking about:

Assisted checks (page 34 FaD CRB):

• Skilled Assistance: When a character with a higher characteristic or skill rating provides assistance to another character, the dice pool may use one character's characteristic and the other character's skill rating.
  • Unskilled Assistance: If the assisting party does not have a higher characteristic or skill rating... ...the GM may add Boost to the dice pool.
  • Group checks: I'm not sure if this is RAW, but I use it. This is typically for Perception or Vigilance, rather than having all the characters roll independently. It works the same as the rules for Assistance, except you draw from all relevant parties.

Combining two skills into one check:

I do not believe this is RAW, I think I came up with this independently (but I might be wrong). You "combine" two skills like Stealth and Skulduggery, using the characteristic rating from one and the skill from the other, determined by the GM (So Cunning/Stealth or Agility/Skulduggery).
Sometimes it isn't combining two skills, but simply changing the characteristic linked to the skill.
Although I do not believe this is RAW, I am a big proponent of this.

Other than that, I concur with the others so far.

2 hours ago, angelman2 said:

As for Ysalamiri, perhaps they have something like the Supress Force Power with a combined Force Rating equal to the number of Ysalamiri in short range? Something like that? (And probably also the Shroud talent)

Are you aware that there are RAW stats for the Ysalamiri in the CRB? It actually covers this ability fairly well, I think, though I would say that for each minion group of 4 within Short range of a "prime group" you increase the range band by 1. I would make it so that it's 1 minion/minion group for Short, 1 additional group for Medium, 2 more groups for Long, 3 for Extreme, making 7 total (28 individual Ysalamiri), but making it one additional group per band is the easiest to deal with.

Edit: I may be misunderstanding the meaning of the whole "Ysalamiri group together to make large bubbles" thing. It may simply mean that the bubbles touch corners, and the Ysalamiri are spread out, just in close proximity to each other. (like a line of people holding hands)

Edited by P-47 Thunderbolt
22 minutes ago, P-47 Thunderbolt said:

Are you aware that there are RAW stats for the Ysalamiri in the CRB? It actually covers this ability fairly well, I think, though I would say that for each minion group of 4 within Short range of a "prime group" you increase the range band by 1. I would make it so that it's 1 minion/minion group for Short, 1 additional group for Medium, 2 more groups for Long, 3 for Extreme, making 7 total (28 individual Ysalamiri), but making it one additional group per band is the easiest to deal with.

Edit: I may be misunderstanding the meaning of the whole "Ysalamiri group together to make large bubbles" thing. It may simply mean that the bubbles touch corners, and the Ysalamiri are spread out, just in close proximity to each other. (like a line of people holding hands)

Oh, I was not aware of that. I did a quick google and didn't find a reference to SWRPG stats, so I just assumed there were none! Thanks for pointing these out :)

IIRC, Thrawn keeps several Ysalamiri to strengthen the force block thingy in the Thrawn Trilogy, but I could be wrong. Perhaps it just increased the bubble, or whatever.

Thank you for the help.

To clarify some points that are confusing people.

14 hours ago, Lord Dust said:

If you have multiple force powers that can be used on the same check, the example I think of is a mechanics check, ebb/flow and manipulate upgraded with "When making a mechanics check", can you use both as they are additive to your skill check?

4. Skill vs Force checks, What is the mechanical difference and, Is there a difference in a combined skill check?

This question is almost entirely due to Unleash, and how talents, powers, and abilities interact with it. Can I use some of the skill substitution talents, I think it is Knowledge is Power:( once pre-session may use Knowledge X instead of regular skill on skill check), on Unleash or as a Force Power check is it ineligible?

6. Reducing a force rating to zero renders force talents deactivated.

Think I found this one. FaD Core, Force Talents, Pg 282.
"Force talents follow all rules for talents with the caveat that they can only be used by characters who have a Force rating of 1 or higher."
There is special rule in the following paragraph about how committing force die will not disable Force talents.

8 hours ago, angelman2 said:

The power Juri's Influence(Ghost of Dathomir) has a Roll opposed Discipline, commit a Force die, reduce an opponet's Force rating by committed Force die.

Again, Thank you for your help.

On 8/22/2020 at 3:20 PM, P-47 Thunderbolt said:

I do not believe this is RAW, I think I came up with this independently (but I might be wrong). You "combine" two skills like Stealth and Skulduggery, using the characteristic rating from one and the skill from the other, determined by the GM (So Cunning/Stealth or Agility/Skulduggery).
Sometimes it isn't combining two skills, but simply changing the characteristic linked to the skill.
Although I do not believe this is RAW, I am a big proponent of this.

Two-weapon fighting is the classic example of combined skill checks, it is also the entry where the term "combined check" is introduced. The description is more generic, and implies (as I read it) that skills can be combined to do things at once, like two-weapon fighting. So, I'd say you're pretty close to RAW - as long as you choose the lowest characteristic and skill rank, and increase the difficulty appropriately.

On 8/22/2020 at 8:55 PM, Lord Dust said:

If you have multiple force powers that can be used on the same check, the example I think of is a mechanics check, ebb/flow and manipulate upgraded with "When making a mechanics check", can you use both as they are additive to your skill check?

I can't cite, but I believe you can only use one Force power at a time in this way. As again, it is one action, and you can only perform one Force power per action.

On 8/22/2020 at 6:14 AM, angelman2 said:

The final Control unlock for Protect/Unleash lets you use an Unleash as a maneuver once per session, but that's the only one I know of. Pretty heavy XP commitment to get there too.

2 hours ago, Jegergryte said:

Two-weapon fighting is the classic example of combined skill checks, it is also the entry where the term "combined check" is introduced. The description is more generic, and implies (as I read it) that skills can be combined to do things at once, like two-weapon fighting. So, I'd say you're pretty close to RAW - as long as you choose the lowest characteristic and skill rank, and increase the difficulty appropriately.

I don't do either. Picking the lowest and increasing difficulties only makes sense if they're trying to do two things at once. This is not the case. Rather, they are trying to do one thing that requires two different skills.

5 hours ago, Jegergryte said:

you can only perform one Force power per action.

This is the part I can't find. I found "unless the power's description specifically states otherwise, using the power requires one action in structured time. " -FoD Core, Force Powers, Pg 282.

The issue is the powers say they apply when used with another action, like how welders, and grinders can also be used with mechanic checks.

If you could please help solve this issue, it hurts my brain.

The best way to handle it is and the case of multiple force talents being active at the same time See Iron Fist tree. (Yeah its Steel Hand, but come on its obviously Iron Fist)

You roll the Force dice as part of in this case the brawl action. Now Your Enhance lets you spend the force pips for Successes and Advantages. So you could say spend 1 of your 4 light side pips to get a success.

You can then spend the remaining 3 pips to activate Far Strike causing your attack to reach out to long range. YaY.

Your attack would have a Pierce 3 Since you have the Acklay's Scything Strike and a Force Rating of 3.

Thats the way a nice GM would handle the situation.

Another way to handle it is to declare individual Force dice for each talent/force power and you can only spend those dice on the specified power.

Which is going to slow the game down a bit, but makes it slightly more balanced in the long run.