[Spoiler] Can boss enemies stay dead please?

By Thaeggan, in The Lord of the Rings: Journeys in Middle-earth

Finally got through the first campaign with my group. One thing that bothered us was the boss enemies, Uluk, Gulgotar, and Atarin all had to be killed twice. Talk about annoying when your group bends over backwards to down the boss only to have them get back up.

Uluk was an exception where the goblins pulled the troll away which was pretty lame. We did amazing damage only to get nothing and forced to deal with the troll later. We never did kill the troll... Gulgotar got wrecked and the adventure ended 😂

An all success run on normal so that was nice, but the fight with Atarin specifically made us frustrated. We were getting swarmed as expected, but managed to sneak in the kill only to have him come back and down 2 players before we could do it again.

So, could we get bosses that only die once? Would be nice.

I'm with you on this one. It's especially difficult when you don't know they are going to respawn. You go all in and then are left with nothing to keep fighting.

Unfortunately, Ember Crown is more of the same. I haven't gotten that far yet, but I believe I heard Shadowed Paths is as well.

1 hour ago, Birdman137 said:

Unfortunately, Ember Crown is more of the same. I haven't gotten that far yet, but I believe I heard Shadowed Paths is as well.

ugh. May have to house rule it and just nuke the bosses on their revive. My group feels cheated when the bosses get their second wind.

I house ruled Atarin's fight because he respawned after he died. The text said something along the lines that his body disappeared and Atarin was now some demon spirit, not that he moved to a different location. So instead of having my group's moral be shaken and have to fight the swarm of enemies we were in before we could combat Atarin again I just said, "Naw, he died and transformed here as the text said. Screw the app". It made no sense for Atarin to transform and relocate.

Once you get the hang of this, the bosses aren't too bad. I will say Atarin is a nasty surprise the first time but when you go back just make sure

You have a weapon with smite on it.

It makes his second form fairly easy.

42 minutes ago, Riggswolfe said:

Once you get the hang of this, the bosses aren't too bad. I will say Atarin is a nasty surprise the first time but when you go back just make sure

You have a weapon with smite on it.

It makes his second form fairly easy.

I actually had Crescendo of Dawn from Musician. Completely the best card to draw, pure coincidence it came up for the fight with Gimli/axe and Beravor/staff to kill Atarin. We closed out the second form with a trinket torch and dagger hobbit. I never got to attack Atarin, but I was next up to bat as Legolas/bow 😅

Gimli got counter attacked and actually died. Berevor was downed from the swarm of enemies but recovered.

We were happy to slap Atarin, but when he revived and downed player it was disappointing.

It is a bit annoying, but we just always assume a boss has two phases. Its usually pretty obvious due to how frail their stats are.

On 8/22/2020 at 9:29 AM, Thaeggan said:

ugh. May have to house rule it and just nuke the bosses on their revive. My group feels cheated when the bosses get their second wind.

I have found that not knowing a boss is going to respawn is quite a shock and not easy to recover from. If you go into the fight knowing what you will be facing, it is much more manageable. In case you'd like to know what is coming, you have to beat the final boss in both the Ember Crown and Shadowed Path campaigns

times to win.

Edited by Birdman137