Tournament Etiquette Question

By Copperblue74, in X-Wing Rules Questions

Is it legal in a tournament to ask the other player what their ship's "blue moves" or "red moves" are? Or on top of that, have movement cards on their side of the table for your ships? I know in casual play, this is fine and accepted...just wondering about a tournament setting though. Thanks!

It's totally reasonable to inquire after dials. Usually the way folks do it where I live is to ask for an un-set dial from one of their ships. There's probably a limit to the number of times you can politely ask within a game, but still.

yes, you can definetly ask for a look at his dial, even if he already put it down on the table (just, obviously, after he canged the manouvre he set).

Isn’t there a section in the rules that state what 'open/common information' is?

You are allowed to access this open information at all times, eg dials, stat lines, which damage card a ship has, point cost...

you are not allowed to make notes, though.

—> so it’s fine to have a sheet with all the dials printed on it on the table.

—> in a tournament you hand over to your opponent a printed copy of your list, with point costs and threshold.

asking for a dial is fine, too. Maybe don’t do it too often as theBitterFig stated... 😉

Or you can ask for specific manoeuvres. OliPocknell said he sometimes uses this to deceit his opponent... (asking for blue moves to imply you expect one)

12 hours ago, Tellonius said:

Isn’t there a section in the rules that state what 'open/common information' is?

You are allowed to access this open information at all times, eg dials, stat lines, which damage card a ship has, point cost...

Not really. The only reference to 'open information' is on page 6 of the tournament regulation.

Each player’s destroyed ships, lost shields, lost charges, and discarded damage cards are open information.

Dials are not considered 'open' information, and there is nothing in the rules that i can find that says you 'have' to show your dials, set or not. Common courtesy for most players has them do this, but its not 'legally' required. By the hard and written rule, opponents dont have to show you their dials at all. You can *ask*, but i don't think they are obligated to show you.

I think that, "Open Information" to FFG just means information both players are privy too that may not be 'on the table' (ie ships/cards removed from game) where as everything else *should* be in front of the players and visible to the opponent (pilot cards, number of damage cards on ships, critical effects, tokens, ect.). Dials being sometimes 'hidden' wouldn't fall under this descriptor.

—> so it’s fine to have a sheet with all the dials printed on it on the table.

—> in a tournament you hand over to your opponent a printed copy of your list, with point costs and threshold.

1. Debatable. This could be considered 'outside material'. From what i understand, most TO's are ok with it but its something that needs to be asked with them.

2. That's your call, but its not required nor (should it be) expected. The only requirement for that is to give that information to your TO. Your opponent could very well take the approach of " its your responsibility to know that information, not mine to provide it for you " and they would be allowed to do so. Mind you most dont and are generally open about that info. How the highly competitive players at a regional+ level behave, i wouldn't know.

Edited by Lyianx

Ah, tournament regulation document page 5: taking notes and outside material.

So it’s a yes to the OP question: basically you are allowed to just print all the existing dials on a sheet of paper and bring them to the table.

An easy way to it do would be https://infinitearenas.com/xw2dials/#

( https://infinitearenas.com )

Edited by Tellonius

If you want to get into rules minutiae, and start your journey down the path of the TRUE Rules Laywers...

The Tournament Regulations state that " Players cannot take notes or reference outside material or information during a tournament round." Formally, this means that, while the round is in progress, you cannot keep a running point tally, mark of what critical damage cards you've seen, or evaluate a record of your opponent's previous tactical decisions. This rule not only encourages faster, more streamlined gameplay (less note taking or document review means more playing), but also prevents individuals from using said notes to gain a competitive advantage of some kind.

That said... there's no rule stating you cannot take notes between rounds. Since a round is defined as actual game time (75 minutes for standard games), this does mean that the rules don't appear to prohibit you from recording certain important details in an easy-to-review format; the point value of all ships, along with their "half value" scores, and any notable maneuvers you want to remember (speed, color, & bearing of advanced maneuvers, etc). Since that information is considered open, taking those notes (and being willing to share them with your opponent) is generally acceptable.

However, you should always check with your Tournament Organizer before doing so, just to make sure they're going to allow it.

There are far too many ships in the game now to remember all the dials, unless going hardcore mode.

The strange thing is in 1st edition packaging all ships had the inlay:

"The table below lists all possible maneuvers that [resp ship] can execute. Keep this sheet on hand so that players can reference this table any time " (me making parts bold).

So I do not understand why FFG does not provide an official printable reference sheet for every faction with all dials of that faction. This way you eliminate any fear of a player having advantageous info on home made references.

And you make play much faster. Right now every time you need a dial info, and there is no ship of that type dead yet:

You interrupt the other players thought process (which can be gamed if done at critical key moments(!)), (s)he possibly has to first switch the dial to something undisclosing, if the respective dial was already set, has to hand it over, has to wait until you looked and cannot assign in that time, take it back, take up interrupted thought process and set it anew (with risk for mistake or starting second guessing). Opens up for slow play as well.

An official reference sheet or FFG allowing home made pure dial reference sheets would play more easy, elegant and faster.

Honestly, I wish that FFG had included a card in each expansion that showed that ship's maneuvers, that could be brought as reference for each game you use that mini...

On 9/27/2020 at 7:39 AM, Managarmr said:

There are far too many ships in the game now to remember all the dials, unless going hardcore mode.

The strange thing is in 1st edition packaging all ships had the inlay:

"The table below lists all possible maneuvers that [resp ship] can execute. Keep this sheet on hand so that players can reference this table any time " (me making parts bold).

So I do not understand why FFG does not provide an official printable reference sheet for every faction with all dials of that faction. This way you eliminate any fear of a player having advantageous info on home made references.

And you make play much faster. Right now every time you need a dial info, and there is no ship of that type dead yet:

You interrupt the other players thought process (which can be gamed if done at critical key moments(!)), (s)he possibly has to first switch the dial to something undisclosing, if the respective dial was already set, has to hand it over, has to wait until you looked and cannot assign in that time, take it back, take up interrupted thought process and set it anew (with risk for mistake or starting second guessing). Opens up for slow play as well.

An official reference sheet or FFG allowing home made pure dial reference sheets would play more easy, elegant and faster.

I suspect, even though it was a late addition on mobile, that use of the squad builder app would cover this, as it includes the dials for the ships. It would be a pain, but you could pick out your opponents ships and see the dials that way. It is however, faster to just ask to see it, especially in a tournament setting, unless you know what list you are facing ahead of time.