Harrison Ford in Solo: A Star Wars Story [DeepFake]

By Odanan, in X-Wing Off-Topic

This is amazing! I want the whole Solo film with Harrison Ford and Billy Dee Williams!

PS: how could ONE guy do a better job than Disney (in Rogue One)?

Dang, he did it!

The Leia one is a vast improvement. Even keeping in mind the background process this independent artist is using likely has components that stem from the work used for the scenes in Rogue One and Tron legacy before that, I would have thought Disney could throw more money at Leia and Tarkin for a better result.

On the other hand I'm gonna have to disagree with you on the solo one. The deep fake is incredible, but you know what my first thought was when I saw that last year? "Dang, they really nailed the casting for young solo!" Sure, he's not exactly Harrison Ford's clone, but he's amazingly close. Closer than a lot of other 'younger version of a famous actor' casting choices.

8 minutes ago, nitrobenz said:

The Leia one is a vast improvement. Even keeping in mind the background process this independent artist is using likely has components that stem from the work used for the scenes in Rogue One and Tron legacy before that, I would have thought Disney could throw more money at Leia and Tarkin for a better result.

It's not just about money, it's the technique. Full CGI faces always fall into the uncanny valley.

8 minutes ago, nitrobenz said:

On the other hand I'm gonna have to disagree with you on the solo one. The deep fake is incredible, but you know what my first thought was when I saw that last year? "Dang, they really nailed the casting for young solo!" Sure, he's not exactly Harrison Ford's clone, but he's amazingly close. Closer than a lot of other 'younger version of a famous actor' casting choices.

He is incredibly close, yes. I'm not asking for Disney's official Solo replacing Alden Ehrenreich's face. That won't happen. But having the fanmade "fixed" full version would be a blast.

Sure, that's not the case for Rogue One. Rogue One could use an official remake of the CGI Tarkin and Leia using deepfake. Eerie CGI Tarkin and Leia take a lot of the joy in watching that film.

1 hour ago, Odanan said:

It's not just about money, it's the technique. Full CGI faces always fall into the uncanny valley.

He is incredibly close, yes. I'm not asking for Disney's official Solo replacing Alden Ehrenreich's face. That won't happen. But having the fanmade "fixed" full version would be a blast.

Sure, that's not the case for Rogue One. Rogue One could use an official remake of the CGI Tarkin and Leia using deepfake. Eerie CGI Tarkin and Leia take a lot of the joy in watching that film.

The CGI Tarkin completely ruined rogue one for me, of course that may have a lot to do with me being old enough to have been a huge fan of Cushing’s horror work before Star Wars ever being a thing. I have told people many times if they had left him just offscreen (used as hologram or like they did with the reflection in the glass) it may have made the movie watchable for me, of course we would have had to leave the even worse looking Leia out as well though. I know his family was on board with this but they should have left the man some dignity in in death, he had plenty of dignity and class in life.

The deep fake strikes again!

... Not sure how I feel about this one

2 hours ago, nitrobenz said:

The deep fake strikes again!

... Not sure how I feel about this one

Yeah, this one is not as good as the others.

On 8/19/2020 at 8:07 PM, Vykk Draygo said:

The CGI Tarkin completely ruined rogue one for me, of course that may have a lot to do with me being old enough to have been a huge fan of Cushing’s horror work before Star Wars ever being a thing...

...see, as a huge, huge fan of the days of the old school British Hammer Horror myself, I think if anyone would have been on board with making an appearance from beyond the grave, it would have been Peter Cushing (and of course his partner in crime Christopher Lee). I imagine he would have found it ironically amusing.

Dignity and class, yes, absolutely. But part of that for both men was working hard and doing everything they possibly could, especially in service of a story.

Tarkin's rivalry with Krennic was pretty integral to Rogue One's story, and his character really was treated with a great deal of respect. Certainly much more so than other iconic characters in other Disney Star Wars films. Was the CGI perfect? No. But that really shouldn't detract from a very good addition to the franchise.

Edited by FTS Gecko
5 minutes ago, FTS Gecko said:

Was the CGI perfect? No. But that really shouldn't detract from a very good addition to the franchise.

The CGI was the only problem - you cant' enjoy the plot if that jarring uncanny valley takes away all your attention.

But the good side is: if Disney really wanted, they could fix this by using the Deep Fake technique, as proved by single-handed ill-equipped amateurs.

2 hours ago, Odanan said:

The CGI was the only problem - you cant' enjoy the plot if that jarring uncanny valley takes away all your attention.

Personally speaking, I didn't find it a problem at all. I recognised Tarkin immediately and was delighted to see him back on the big screen. It didn't take any of attention my attention away, didn't hamper my enjoyment of the film one bit. I loved his political machinations with Krennic.

I'm sure some people did get hung up on appearances, but I certainly wasn't one of them.

Edited by FTS Gecko

Less than 30 seconds of CGI faces in a 133 runtime - "UNWATCHABLE!!!"