Most difficult hero/aspect matchup?

By Derrault, in Marvel Champions: The Card Game

Opinion thread:

What hero/aspect pairing do you have the most difficulty with?

In solo? In multiplayer?

For me so far in solo, it seems to be Hand-size-4/aggro (*Hulk/She-Hulk/Thor).

Not sure about multi-player (will review some numbers), I might guess at it being Ms Marvel/Protection. x/Protection was pretty awful for us when we first started playing.

5 minutes ago, IceHot42 said:

Not sure about multi-player (will review some numbers), I might guess at it being Ms Marvel/Protection. x/Protection was pretty awful for us when we first started playing.

I’m looking forward to a hand size 4 hero who doesn’t also have 1 or less thwart...

Edited by FearLord
1 hour ago, FearLord said:

I’m looking forward to a hand size 4 hero who doesn’t also have 1 or less thwart...

Yeah that seems to be where the math is wrong...overpaying for Health/ATK vs getting great value on THW

I'll chime in on the 4 Hand Size/Aggression combo problem in solo as well. I have been trying SO HARD to beat standard Klaw with Masters of Evil with She-Hulk using the pre-constructed core set Aggression deck. I believe I have now lost 8 times in a row. I'm about to declare it impossible and move on to another combo! I like trying the various pre-constructed combinations (not much of a deckbuilder yet) but the aggression vs. Klaw combos have not been kind to my meager skills.

I'll go so far as to say Hulk-Aggression. At least Thor & She-Hulk have ways to augment their heroic hand size - Thor's ability ( Response: After you engage a minion, draw 2 cards. (Limit once per phase.) ) and Asgard ( You get +1 hand size. ) & She-Hulk's 2x Focused Rage ( Hero Action: Exhaust Focused Rage and take 1 damage → draw 1 card. ) go a long way to making their hands more playable than the Hulk's.

Edited by Duciris
9 hours ago, IceHot42 said:

Protection has come a LONG way since the Core. It was garbage because it didn't really do anything useful; now heroes that synergize with it can be basically immune to attacks from the villain most of the time. Granted, Ms. Marvel doesn't synergize with it very well (bad defence stat and you don't normally want to recur the Defence events), but her personal kit is very strong and lets her handle everything without her aspect.

Having said that....I'd say it's probably four hand characters/Protection, with the exact worst character depending on the scenario and player count. Reasoning:

- It seems pretty well accepted that the four hand characters are on the lower end of the scale, power wise. So I'm assuming it's one of them. As mentioned, exactly who is the worst probably depends on who you're fighting; the obvious difference here is Thor vs Minion light or Minion heavy scenarios.

- Protection has essentially no ability to deal with threat. Aggression actually has more options, with Chase Them Down and You'll Pay For That. Protection has....Allies. Of which their only 2 THW options have 2 HP (Widow) or double damage (Voodoo).

- Aggression at least has a game plan of 'kill the villain first'. It's got the best damage options in support of this. In contrast, Protection's gameplan is to keep you around long enough to finish the job. Except this involves keeping you in Hero mode for as long as possible - i.e. where you've got a tiny hand. What's more, Protection often has you spending resources or exhausting before you play out your turn, which can vastly reduce your ability to actually achieve anything on your turn. Even something like Desperate Defence would leave you with two cards going into your turn (assuming you pay out of hand).

- Protection is arguably more viable in Multiplayer, where you can tank for your allies. Except none of the four hand characters actually synergize that well with what Protection wants to do right now (namely, lots of readying alongside defending for high amounts), and none of them have the generalist kit to run along side it so that they're contributing something other than tanking hits

Playing only solo, I rarely play protection anymore (often painfully slow).