What is the point of the "Hunter" ability?

By petszk, in Arkham Horror: The Card Game

Hi All,

I've purchased the starter pack, and now the Carnavale of Horrors pack.

I've enjoyed the game for the most part, but can't figure out what the purpose of the "hunter" ability for monsters is.

According to page 12 of the rulebook, a monster with the "hunter" keyword will move from one location to another towards an investigator. But it doesn't actually state that the monster ever engages the investigator.

So I've wound up with an investigator wandering around with multiple monsters just following them from location to location, never actually engaging with them unless the investigator chooses to. Is this correct? Seems funny-but-pointless to have an investigator with a pile of monsters just following them around.

Edited by petszk

Enemies automatically engage when they move into a location with an investigator.

If at any time, an investigator is at the same location as a ready, unengaged enemy without the Aloof keyword, that enemy will immediately engage the investigator.

So, if a Hunter enemy moves to the location of an investigator, the enemy will immediately engage that investigator, and will attack in the subsequent step of the enemy phase.

Hey @petszk , welcome to the Mythos!

As you suspect, this is incorrect. A ready, unengaged enemy at a location with an investigator will automatically engage that investigator. Since Hunter enemies move before enemies attack, this means they will move, then attack any hapless investigators they can.

Enemies at a location with multiple investigators will engage whatever investigator best fits their Prey instructions, but if an enemy doesn't have the prey keyword, it will engage the investigator of your choice. I mention this because many groups apply the "Grim Rule" to every situation where they're given a choice, but the Grim Rule is only for situations where the players aren't sure what the rules are.

Hope that helps, and have fun!

Others have already given the correct answer, but in case you were wondering the rule can be found on page 10 of the Rules Reference under “Enemy Engagement”.

Okay, now I understand it.

Thank you for the answers. :)

Ultimately I think the point of the hunter ability is to make your life miserable. 😉

RM