Redline ability

By "Quickdraw", in X-Wing Rules Questions

My question is, that "acquire a lock" can he lock any ship in the board no mater the range?

24 minutes ago, "Quickdraw" said:

My question is, that "acquire a lock" can he lock any ship in the board no mater the range?

No, you still have to follow the 'normal' rules for 'acquiring a lock', one of them being the range restrictions.

@Quickdraw

The purpose of them saying “acquire” instead of “action” is so that he can get 2 locks. It also allows him to use his ability while stressed:

Boost - Link Lock - Aquire Lock -OR-

Barrel Roll (red) - Acquire Lock -OR-

Lock - Acquire Lock

Technically he could acquire 2x in the first example but it’s unnecessary since he can only maintain 2 locks.

This keeps him from running up against the “you can’t perform the same action twice in a round” rule.

Also there’s some debate as to whether or not he can maintain 2 locks on the same ship or not. I believe he can.

Edited by JBFancourt
6 hours ago, JBFancourt said:

Also there’s some debate as to whether or not he can maintain 2 locks on the same ship or not. I believe he can.

I agree... Redline can maintain 2 locks on the same object (not including himself, of course). The existing rule limits the number of locks a ship may have to only one; it doesn't say anything about what happens when a ship may maintain more than 1 lock, so there's no restriction on where those locks can be (other than "can't lock yourself.")

The debate, though, is probably centered on the wording of R3 Astromech , which also allows a ship to maintain 2 locks at the same time. R3 Astromech also includes the special rule that "each lock must be on a different object." The question is as follows: Does the sentence "Each lock must be on a different object" apply only to the ship equipped with R3 Astromech, or is that merely reminder text indicative of a greater rule, that all ships need to follow?

I'm inclined to follow the Rules Reference in this case, and in the absence of any language to the effect of "you cannot maintain more than 1 lock on any single object," come to the conclusion that such a limitation does not exist outside of R3 Astromech.

latest?cb=20180521204700

Edited by emeraldbeacon
Tweaked the wording a smidge

@emeraldbeacon

Right.

I actually hold that R3 helps prove the point: they wished R3 to be more restrictive than Redline.

On 8/14/2020 at 8:59 PM, "Quickdraw" said:

Just to get the rule in..

RR page 13.

If a ship is instructed to acquire a lock, the object it locks must be at range 0–3 unless otherwise specified.

Redline does not 'otherwise specify', so no, hes still limited to range 0-3.