How to combine vehicle move maneuvers and attack actions into one roll?

By Synchros721, in Rules Questions

Ran my first Genesys session the other night and it went great! We're playing in the Android universe and the party is a biker gang. The one thing I noticed is that vehicles seems to slow down the narrative. Granted, my players and I are still learning Genesys so we will improve with experience, however, I heard some advice on the Dice Pool Podcast that I think could help. They mentioned only having one skill check on a player's turn. This is a no brainer in grounded combat, but when the players are on bikes moving between zones this becomes more complicated. For example, a player wanting to move a zone through traffic would naturally require a Driving check, and then once they reached the zone to shoot their pistol would require another ranged combat check. How could I combine these two actions to help keep things flowing more quickly and support the narrative?

Thanks!

Episodes 15, 17, and 20 of the Forge Podcast all deal with vehicles and vehicle combat, which will probably give you some good insight.

Howevet, the short answer is: only one check per turn. If the biker needs to make a Dangerous Driving check because of heavy traffic, that's their action.

However, they shouldn't have to be rolling those checks every turn. For example: Bikers driving down a busy highway, weaving in and out. No Dangerous Driving check, because it's cinematic. They can then shoot. But wait! Next turn, there's a car accident blocking the road: now they need to choose between firing at their opponents (and suffering a collision) or trying to avoid the wreck. And remember, the opponents are probably going to have the same choice!

So intersperse times when they can shoot with times they have to drive.

Forced movement always happens, but just requires a driver controlling the vehicle (no action or maneuver). Then there's the Reposition Maneuver.

And you can add Setbacks to the attack rolls for them weaving in and out of traffic!

Cheers!

3 hours ago, salamar_dree said:

Episodes 15, 17, and 20 of the Forge Podcast all deal with vehicles and vehicle combat, which will probably give you some good insight.

Howevet, the short answer is: only one check per turn. If the biker needs to make a Dangerous Driving check because of heavy traffic, that's their action.

However, they shouldn't have to be rolling those checks every turn. For example: Bikers driving down a busy highway, weaving in and out. No Dangerous Driving check, because it's cinematic. They can then shoot. But wait! Next turn, there's a car accident blocking the road: now they need to choose between firing at their opponents (and suffering a collision) or trying to avoid the wreck. And remember, the opponents are probably going to have the same choice!

So intersperse times when they can shoot with times they have to drive.

Forced movement always happens, but just requires a driver controlling the vehicle (no action or maneuver). Then there's the Reposition Maneuver.

And you can add Setbacks to the attack rolls for them weaving in and out of traffic!

Cheers!

That makes sense, thanks for the response! I'm coming from D&D, so there is a lot of unlearning, but I'm really loving the Genesys system.

1 hour ago, Synchros721 said:

That makes sense, thanks for the response! I'm coming from D&D, so there is a lot of unlearning, but I'm really loving the Genesys system.

I'm really glad that you're enjoying it!

On 8/14/2020 at 2:42 PM, Synchros721 said:

For example, a player wanting to move a zone through traffic would naturally require a Driving check

This, I think, is where you are getting things confused. Dangerous Driving, per pages 227 and 228 of the CRB:
" The pilot attempts to control the vehicle as it takes a sharp turn, tries to coax the vehicle through a series of narrowly placed obstacles, or otherwise performs an improbable feat of operating prowess . " Bold added by me for emphasis.

Driving in, around, and between cars in traffic isn't an improbable feat by any means. 99% of the time characters will not be making Dangerous Driving checks in a vehicular encounter. Sure, weaving in and out of traffic could easily add a setback die or two to their skill check, but unless what they're trying to accomplish is improbable, it's just what a bad-*** PC does.