Couple questions about rules and about "night of the zealot"

By Alex_Moor, in Arkham Horror: The Card Game

Hi guys. I nuby enough and have couple questions.

Some answers I already found in FAQ and rules book. But there is still questions without answers.

Really sorry if they already was asked.

"Night of the zealot"("The gathering" scenario) questions:

1. Investigator in Cabinet(111 - start location) engaged by the enemy. Act deck is unadvanced yet. In invastigator turn, I spend clues and advance act deck(108). This leads to moving investigator into another location(112) and to discarding all enemies from Cabinet location(111). Have I discard the described enemy or it moves with investigator to new location?

2. "They're getting out"(107) is on top of the agenda deck. It means that at the end of the round I have to put as many doom tokens on agenda deck as many ghouls in Hallway(112) and in Parlor(115) locations. The Barier(109) is on top of the act deck. I advance the act deck at the end of round and Ghoul Preast(116) appears in Hallway(112). So what I have to do first: advance the act deck and call Ghoul Preast(116) or put doom tokens on agenda deck like wrote on "They're getting out"(107)?

Rules questions:

1. May I discard assets when I want? Or only if I put new asset from hand to slot, which already is full?

2. May I have 2 equal assets in play area on table? Shriveling(60) for example.

3. I have weakness-asset in my hand. There's rule that forbids to discard this card for own wish. But can it be diskarded as random card? For example by advancing the Trapped(108) card in agenda deck, when you can chose to lost 2 mind or lost one random card from hand.

4. When investigator is attaked by enemy in enemy phase or by Retaliate abylity or by attack of opportunity, does he make a skill test? Or just takes a damage from attack without any test?

5. One more question. I saw it on one forum and moderator answer(I think it`s wrong) surprised me. Does investigator take a damage, when he fails skill test of own attak? I think no, but moderator answer was: yes)) I think it's possible only if attacked enemy is Retaliate or if target enemy fights with another investigator, which takes damage instead of enemy.))

I’ll take a stab t these.

1. Enemy is discarded.

2. I’m not sure.

1. No, you cannot discard an asset freely.

2. Yes, provided you have enough slots and the asset is not unique (indicated by a * preceding its name).

3. Weaknesses can be lost as a random card.

4. You just take the damage.

5. Investigators will not take an attack upon missing unless the enemy has retaliate.

2) You always resolve Forced effects before other effects with the same timing. So you would place doom on the agenda from the Forced ability on They're Getting Out first, then you can spend the clues to advance the Act deck.

R egarding the discard of a weakness, if you already have a weakness in hand or in play you cannot choose to discard it by any other means unless a card specifically says so.

Edited by Henryillusion
7 hours ago, Henryillusion said:

R egarding the discard of a weakness, if you already have a weakness in hand or in play you cannot choose to discard it by any other means unless a card specifically says so.

Well, you can discard a weakness from your hand if you discard it randomly. As you say though, you can't choose to do this; if the only card in your hand is Dark Memory, for instance, and you're forced to discard two cards, you can't choose to discard it. However, if you're forced to discard two cards at random, you're forced to discard it, and don't get a choice.

Hi everyone. Thank you for all responses. Even if they is not correct. Even wrong answers leads us to discussion, which lead us to true 😊

8 hours ago, Henryillusion said:

1 hour ago, SGPrometheus said:

Well, you can discard a weakness from your hand if you discard it randomly. As you say though, you can't choose to do this; if the only card in your hand is Dark Memory, for instance, and you're forced to discard two cards, you can't choose to discard it. However, if you're forced to discard two cards at random, you're forced to discard it, and don't get a choice.

From eng rules page 21 column2: "A player may not optionally choose to discard a weakness card from hand, unless a card explicitly specifies otherwise."

So I think weakness card can't be discarded in situation like: more then 8 cards on hand at the end of the drawing card in Upkeep phase.
But player can deside to discard random card from hand or to spend 2 minds(for example, like 105 says). And if player have choose to discard random card, then weakness can become those one.
Or in any other situation, like SGPrometheus wrote. When random card from hand must to be discarded.

Hi, Vlad3theImplater.

12 hours ago, Vlad3theImpaler said:

2) You always resolve Forced effects before other effects with the same timing. So you would place doom on the agenda from the Forced ability on They're Getting Out first, then you can spend the clues to advance the Act deck.

Your answer just brilliant. I don't know how I missed this rule.

Of course, from eng rules page 3 begining: "For any given timing point, all forced abilities initiated in reference to that timing point must resolve before any 󲆍 abilites (see below) referencing the same timing point in the same manner may be initiated."

"They're getting out"(107) card has exacly Forced ability. When "The Barier(109)" card has Objective ability(not Forced). So, of course, doom token must be placed before Ghoul Preast(116) appearence.

Thank you very mutch, Vlad3theImplater.

Hi, Eyeogre.

Thank you for so many answers. ☺️

12 hours ago, Eeyogre said:

1. No, you cannot discard an asset freely.

Could you reference on some concrete rule or other explanation why it's not allowed?

12 minutes ago, Alex_Moor said:

Hi, Eyeogre.

Thank you for so many answers. ☺️

Could you reference on some concrete rule or other explanation why it's not allowed?

I think if you check online, all threads asking this question have indicated that the interpretation is that you cannot do this because there is no rule allowing you to do the discard. This is bolstered by the fact that some cards explicitly specify that they are discarded (hence it is not standard procedure to discard) and a number of rules discussions about what to do when playing a card that would occupy a full slot (e.g, a second ally or a third hand item) would be unneeded if you could discard at will. If the interpretation that you cannot freely discard were wrong, it would have made it into the FAQ by now.

In the rules reference, the specific things which can be done as investigator actions are limited to the following: Move, fight, evade, engage an enemy, investigate, play a card, draw a card, gain a resource and activate a card effect. Discarding a card in play is not an investigator action. It is primarily card effects which can increases (or decrease) what you can do, which is why one of the allowed investigator actions is to trigger card effects. Those effects can do so much, give you a free action, or allow an investigator to search their deck, do extra damage, get extra clues, investigate at different locations, heal damage or horror,etc. But some cards carry an additional cost to trigger the effect. These costs vary. They include taking an extra action, spending extra resources, increasing a skill test etc. or... discarding a card from play (or your hand).
So yes, there are some assets that can be discarded after they are put into play (most are Survivor cards), but only if they have that additional cost when triggering a specific card effect. For example, Knife has a discard cost to do +1 damage. Lantern and Gravedigger Shovel have a discard cost to do damage or find a clue, respectively. Stray Cat has the discard cost to automatically evade a non elite enemy. Ms Doyle’s cost is to discard the bonded card in play, if you want to put a different bonded card in play, etc.
And as already mentioned, encounter cards, weaknesses, locations, story effects etc, may also cause assets in play or in your hand to be discarded.

It is part of the joy of strategizing a deck! Knife may not look like much, but if you are waiting for a better weapon and finally get it, but don’t have the hand slot, it’s cost can take care of that pesky extra point of damage and make space for your awesome Enchanted Blade at the same time!

Edited by Mimi61