Mel’s Miniatures TIE Avenger

By JBFancourt, in X-Wing Painting and Modification

So, I’ve been eyeing this mini for some time as a fun TIE Defender (my favorite chassis) stand-in.

Has anyone purchased from Mels that can walk me through the 7(?) plastic options ranging from $8 to $25? And white to black options as well.

https://www.shapeways.com/product/S3XYDCVZW/tie-avenger-1-270?optionId=43647864&li=shops

Any advice?

tie_avenger_by_fj4_d4twqlu-fullview.jpg?

Edited by JBFancourt

I got both of his versions in the cheaper options.

tie_avenger_by_marcusstarkiller_ddm8ye8-

tie_avenger_variant_by_marcusstarkiller_

tie_avengers_by_marcusstarkiller_ddm909j

Edited by Marcus Starkiller

I have bought quite a few models from Mel's Mininatures. But I always go to the best detail option

d8c884cc295f2ec1725f2fda2a24766b.jpg

0561ef38a8fad0bd60458d84b8e5a080.jpg

This gunboat as well. Not the transport, that was scratch build :)

427c7a323acf6b72c0d914e54466cd57.jpg

Very nice.

@Noosart

Thanks!

I now want that YT-2000.....

Edited by JBFancourt
7 hours ago, JBFancourt said:

Not to push you of any kind of course 😇 but here is a link to the topic where I painted this beauty.

I loved this ship from the first time I saw it in X-Wing Alliance.

I purchased “Smoothest Fine Detail” ... we’ll see 😬

See how painting goes.....

Should I spray paint a base coat? Black?

Yes, give the model a nice wash with some soapy water. Then a primer. I used grey, that is quite neutral. I only use black when I need to finish with a dark or reflective paint.

Arno

On 8/14/2020 at 1:05 AM, JBFancourt said:

@Noosart

Thanks!

I’ve got the YT 1000 with a very high level of detail

DwnF23w.jpg

0JUcPtI.jpg

ZOxd0Mm.jpg

Back left is the "best option" plastic from Mel's. I don't have a better picture, but it is a very smooth model. My old opinion was it is always worth the money with Shapeways, my new opinion is just buy your own 3D Printer (can't print anything from Mel's but there is a free TIE Avenger on Thingiverse that is very nice - I don't have it painted yet, just printed).

Wu03aXo.jpg

Edited by ZealuxMyr

🥺

😓

😫

😖

😭

Pulled it out of the bubble wrap — BEAUTIFUL intricate model — dropped it on my tile floor and shattered the whole left wing....

- $30

+ life wisdom

DO NOT PASS GO! DO NOT COLLECT $200!

bvIQeCW1t9efy4wbBGCNopp-1rfbuVcGgw9b-rUE

Edited by JBFancourt
15 hours ago, JBFancourt said:

🥺

😓

😫

😖

😭

Pulled it out of the bubble wrap — BEAUTIFUL intricate model — dropped it on my tile floor and shattered the whole left wing....

- $30

+ life wisdom

DO NOT PASS GO! DO NOT COLLECT $200!

bvIQeCW1t9efy4wbBGCNopp-1rfbuVcGgw9b-rUE

The pic isn't visible, but the words are sad by themselves. :( Super glue should hold them together depending on how bad the shattering was... good luck!

OMG. That's a tragedy!

--

On the Left, my Mel's Miniatures highest-quality resin print from Shapeways (as you said, 30USD). On the Right, my Astrofossil's resin print from my own Anycubic Photon 3D printer (0.020mm layer height; resin cost by weight/volume ~0.05USD).

ok91C9R.jpg

Mel's Miniatures from Shapeways

ZgKwvoW.jpg 28S9PDQ.jpg BTb7Yik.jpg

Astrofossil's miniature from Thinigiverse

s3aNtmJ.jpg JQef73c.jpg GmFJaBX.jpg

Honestly, the more I look at them side-by-side, the more I want to swap the body and the wings between the two models for proportional homogeneity.