Bonus attacks

By "Quickdraw", in X-Wing Rules Questions

I have a question about bonus attacks, for example the hardpoint upgrades that only state "bonus attack: ...". Does it mean that this weapon can only be used with that bonus attack or if I make 1 attack I can make a bonus attack? Or if I make a primary weapon attack I can attack with the hardpoint then as a bonus.

Thanks

Given that you're asking about hardpoint weapons, I think it's safe to assume we're discussing the Epic game mode, and specifically, Huge ships. The big boys on the table are entitled, at their engagement value (which is NOT their ship initiative) to perform up to 1 regular attack, and up to any number of unique bonus attacks, provided that it can pay any costs associated with those attacks. The regular attack should be pretty obvious: you either use the printed arcs on the ship's base token, as a primary attack, or you use a particular weapon on board as a special attack (you might have a regular missile or cannon equipped). You may perform only one of these attacks per round.

As for the bonus attacks, every individual instance of "Bonus Attack:" on a card counts as a separate unique ability. A Point Defense Battery, thus, can fire four times in a round, provided you have enough energy to keep using it.

latest?cb=20190930180621

For non-huge ships, of course, every ship is limited to a single attack per round, and up to one bonus attack. However, there are currently no upgrades for smaller ships that include the "bonus attack" header, so such bonus attacks can only be triggered by special card effects (Cluster Missiles second shot, Dengar or Quickdraw revenge shots, Veteran Turret Gunner extra shots, and the like).

Edited by emeraldbeacon
5 hours ago, "Quickdraw" said:

Does it mean that this weapon can only be used with that bonus attack

That is correct. If a weapon has the "Bonus Attack" header, it cannot be used as your standard attack during engagement. This attack can only be used with the ships primary weapon, or any special weapon with the "Attack" header, as outlined on page 35.

During its engagement, a huge ship may perform one standard attack which is either a primary attack or special attack with an “ Attack :” header.

"Bonus Attack:" header is not the same as "Attack:" header

That said, you can perform any of the "Bonus Attack" headers the ship has before, or after the standard attack, and as many of those bonus attacks as you can afford.

Thank you, one more thing, can you only attack with your bonus attack on a round? without any standard missile attack or primary weapon attack, only attack with a weapon that states "bonus attack".

2 hours ago, "Quickdraw" said:

Thank you, one more thing, can you only attack with your bonus attack on a round? without any standard missile attack or primary weapon attack, only attack with a weapon that states "bonus attack".

Yes, you can attack only with bonus attacks. Your primary weapon or standard missiles, etc., like any attack, is something you don't have to do.