Storing/Protecting hero/villain pieces

By TrevinoKing, in The Lord of the Rings: Journeys in Middle-earth

Just wanted to throw this out there. What is everyone doing to protect the miniatures? Has anyone had an issue with villains or heroes getting their weapons bent while keeping them in the bag with everything?

Probably overthinking this one lol But just curious if anyone had issues with the game bag and everyone jumbled in them. Thankfully so far I’ve had no issues at all keeping them all in the plastic bags that they come in.

Edited by TrevinoKing

If you paint them, which I highly recommend (Sorastro has done a great tutorial that is pretty beginner friendly) then I recommend magnetising the bases and getting a sheet of steel cut to the size of the expansion box; all my miniatures safe and makes it really easy to find what you are after. I found 0.5mm thick magnets that are at least 7 mm in diameter work well.

LOTR Storage.jpeg

I use the feldherr solution.

Because i wasn't in the mood to measure it all and start cutting foam.

So i like, it protect the miniatures and the cards fit good. Also, The villans of eriador Expansion miniatures fit in this solution.

I hope the upcoming figure pack Will fit in the shadow paths expansion foam.

https://www.feldherr.net/en/for/the-lord-of-the-rings-board-game/feldherr-foam-set-for-the-lord-of-the-rings-journeys-in-middle-earth-board-game-box/a-58789

I use sort boxes that are meant for storing screws, nuts, small bolts etc. Those are usually sold in stores in the hardware section and they're great for boardgames. I have three large sort boxes that just about fit in the game box stacked on top of each other. And then there's just enough space for the cards in zip bags. I think the storage boxes are Mano Classic 11". They have 20 small slots and and one wide. One my boxes has the heroes, tokens, battle map tiles and helper cards. Second one has the base game figures and the army flags. The third one has the expansion stuff (spiders are out for painting).

lotr_storage_1.jpg

They go pretty neatly into the box. Although, the balrog won't fit into the boxes but it should be fine on top of all the stuff. I usually carry the box on its side so that the sort boxes are on the bottom. The expansion box houses all the map tiles.

lotr_storage_2.jpg

Some of the minis "share a room" but they've stayed in pretty good condition. It is possible that some figures with swords such as the liches will have them slightly bent. And the expansion introduced some new undead which had a severe risk of bending their swords in the small compartments so I put them in the wide one. So, this is definitely the most mini-friendly way to package them but it works well enough for me and makes the setting up the game pretty easy.