Exploring dungeons in L5R

By Kiso, in Legend of the Five Rings: The Roleplaying Game

I know that L5R isn't a dungeon exploring RPG and that D&D is better equipped with dealing with such a scenario. But if a group of samurai's just so happens to stumble on a cave which is guarded by trolls, what can you throw at the PCs to have fun exploring a cavern? Traps are a thing in D&D, would they work well in L5R? What kind of hidden creature can we drop?

Traps can work, I'm sure. I'd probably make them resist rolls, possibly with their own attack roll, if you want them to use opportunities. I could see some that cause strife on failure, f.ex.

Goblins, trolls, kappa, giant spiders and other animal spirits... Those poor creatures that got enslaved by the Lion in the old lore...

There are a couple of 'dungeons' that have showed up in previous editions.

Tomb of Iuchiban is 1e box set that is a killer dungeon - PCs will probably not survive it.

In the Way of Shadow, there's a cave complex with ninjas and shadow creatures in it.

There were a number of Adventure Keep d20 mini modules for Rokugan, they might be useful for reference and appear to cost 80c each on drivethru rpg

eg https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/27732/Blood-on-White-Petals

The Lion enslaved Copper Goblins, also known as Zokujin.

Another possibility would be for a band of bandits to make their base in a cave complex, if you don't want to use monsters. That would make more sense of traps.

2 hours ago, Tonbo Karasu said:

There are a couple of 'dungeons' that have showed up in previous editions.

Tomb of Iuchiban is 1e box set that is a killer dungeon - PCs will probably not survive it.

In the Way of Shadow, there's a cave complex with ninjas and shadow creatures in it.

There were a number of Adventure Keep d20 mini modules for Rokugan, they might be useful for reference and appear to cost 80c each on drivethru rpg

eg https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/27732/Blood-on-White-Petals

The Lion enslaved Copper Goblins, also known as Zokujin.

Another possibility would be for a band of bandits to make their base in a cave complex, if you don't want to use monsters. That would make more sense of traps.

Is there a master list of those d20 Rokugan specific modules? I still run a few 3.0/3.5 games and those would be great for use in them. My d20 games tend to heavily feature Samurai vs. Knights Templar clash of cultures which makes for some really rewarding roleplaying and skill checks in an otherwise monotonous series of dungeon crawls. Often, survival outside of the dungeon is more perilous due to said dungeon being part of a Daimyo's prefecture as the local Kuge will have a claim on the treasure as might the relatives of the original owners of the recovered treasure. Indeed, part of the world building is that not to many clan blood feuds were started when some freelance adventurer looting a dungeon and recovering a family heirloom.

1 hour ago, neilcell said:

Is there a master list of those d20 Rokugan specific modules? I still run a few 3.0/3.5 games and those would be great for use in them. My d20 games tend to heavily feature Samurai vs. Knights Templar clash of cultures which makes for some really rewarding roleplaying and skill checks in an otherwise monotonous series of dungeon crawls. Often, survival outside of the dungeon is more perilous due to said dungeon being part of a Daimyo's prefecture as the local Kuge will have a claim on the treasure as might the relatives of the original owners of the recovered treasure. Indeed, part of the world building is that not to many clan blood feuds were started when some freelance adventurer looting a dungeon and recovering a family heirloom.

Um, IIRC, the Adventure Keep modules came in sets of 4. Let's search a bit:

Adventure Keep Oriental Series:

• Blood on White Petals 10343
  • The Daisho and the Ninja 10373
  • Treachery's Reward 11471
  • Unspoken Shame 12111

I think that's the only ones which would fit into Rokugan, but can't be sure.

2 hours ago, Tonbo Karasu said:

• Unspoken Shame 12111

Much appreciated!

If the cave complex is near to THE WALL in Crab Lands have it as underground link to the Shadowlands. I can see an entire campaign with this...

** goes off, grabs A4 pad, makes notes, returns**

... or make is a seperate area taintd by the Yama Kings to enter the Middle Kingdom and avoid THE WALL. I'm using OWoD Kindred of The East &1000 Hells for ideas for my homebrew.

Edited by ExpandingUniverse
19 hours ago, Tonbo Karasu said:

• Unspoken Shame 12111

They are all compiled and "Rokuganized" in Adventure II , so yes they fit even if they are very basic adentures.

For someone wanting to do dungeon romps the Kaiu tunnels fit the bill and the Shadowlands can be seen as a gigantic, open air dungeon with other dungeons inside it.

The Tomb of Iuchiban was mentioned, but it is often forgotten that there are two decoy tombs. You can adapt some of the old D&D funhouse dungeons for them.

Honestly, while dungeon crawls are not really my cup of the, there is a lot of space in Rokugan for them.

I'd handle traps like an other challenge, with an initiative roll to see who can act/change their current stance before the trap goes off, with a fitness check DC (to avoid damage) dependent on their stance. Crab use plenty of traps along the underground caves along the wall, and any abandoned fortress or temple (with spiritual guardians) works too. Sewers or underground criminal hideouts (Toshi Ranbo or Otesan Uchi for example) would be another option. Personally, I would handle it as zones rather than a true room by room crawl, but that's just me.