Tie Defender Point Cost

By andrewctr, in X-Wing Mission Control Technical Support and Feedback Forum

Delta Defender is 67, so is Darth Vader. A Defender is for sure better then a Tie Advance, but who would choose an I1 defender over an I6 Vader with all he can do and how versatile he is? I see 3 defenders could be Oppressive. I used to run 3 myself in 1E. (I did not win that much but maybe I’m just not good at the game.)

But now I can’t seem to make a list with a Defender, that would not be better if I took it out and put in Vader, or Fel, or a number of other good ships. The price point is just so high.

4 Good ability T-70s with 7 health and talon turns fit in a list. 5 Good A wings fit. 4 crazy defensive M3-A’s.... and so on.

Defenders have a free evade and a white 4K. But that also makes them predictable and easy to block, unless you use Advanced Sensors which makes them less predictable but takes away their evade token and costs 10 more pt. Defenders are great, but not broken in 2E.

So can we limit Defenders to 2 per list and lower the cost? Or, even better, just increase the cost of most things like Vader and T-70s so the Defender price makes sense, and so games don’t have so many ships to move each turn.

Thoughts?

Edited by andrewctr

Yes, I agree. However the price is not far off from what you are getting.... and at PS 1 it’s actually a benefit cuz you can’t be blocked 😁 👍

... and to answer your question, the reason you fly a 67 Defender and not Soontir or Vader is because..... YOU ALREADY GOT THEM IN YOUR SQUAD JACK!

(54) Soontir Fel [TIE/in Interceptor]
(2) Predator

(67) Darth Vader [TIE Advanced x1]
(6) Afterburners
(2) Fire-Control System

(67) Delta Squadron Pilot [TIE/D Defender]
(2) Fire-Control System

Total points: 200

😁 😁

14 hours ago, JBFancourt said:

and to answer your question, the reason you fly a 67 Defender and not Soontir or Vader is because..... YOU ALREADY GOT THEM IN YOUR SQUAD JACK!

That’s EXACTLY my point!!!
Cool list by the way.

On 8/10/2020 at 9:58 AM, andrewctr said:

So can we limit Defenders to 2 per list and lower the cost? Or, even better, just increase the cost of most things like Vader and T-70s so the Defender price makes sense, and so games don’t have so many ships to move each turn.

Thoughts?

Adding limited dots sounds great to me, but it is a avenue that FFG has yet to trek down.

I'm not certain what that has to do with raising the cost of T70s, as they are completely different chassis. The TIE Silencer of the E-Wing might be a stronger comparison with similar statlines, but those aren't exactly doing great at their price points either.

36 minutes ago, 5050Saint said:

I'm not certain what that has to do with raising the cost of T70s, as they are completely different chassis.

I’m advocating raising the pice of most ships in general, so that 4 ship lists have to have smallish ships with less atk like basic ties or M3-A’s.

T-70 is an example of 7 health with 3 atk that you can fit 4 good ones. Alphas are basically the same with what can take and do. I’m sure there are others...

Some Ace’s are too cheep. Vader is better then a Delta Defender but same price.

It seems you can fit more in a list sense 2E came out and especially sense so many ships including Defenders got reduced.

I think 2 great, 3 good, or 4+ Okay ships should fit in a list. The 4 T-70 or Alpha is 4 good ships. The 5 A wing even is a little much because what you can fit on them. You can do 5-6 tie v1’s with missiles and Fire Control also.

So increases prices across the board. Not Defenders, or other things that are already not played because they aren’t good enough for cost.