[Epic, Scum] list-evolution through 3 games

By Dragon_King, in X-Wing Epic Play

So, shortly after the points update we decided to play epic, with the goal to test the scenarios for an upcoming epic tournament. All games on 3x6 mates and with 500 points.

I played epic only once before, without scenario and learned after that game;

- Bring something with jam, to get rid of the reinforce

- On small, medium, and large base ship, better few upgrades, less triggers

- On wingleaders an afterburner

- Steal the idea to equip huge shups from the forum :P ( Smashmouth Smugglers ) thx @theBitterFig

And I did that! (most of the listed things stolen from The Nerdstream Era , or at least @GreenDragoon pointed me in that direction )

Bossk (29)
Marksmanship (1)
Afterburners (6)
Veteran Wing Leader (2)

Binayre Pirate (22)
Mag-Pulse Warheads (6)

Binayre Pirate (22)
Mag-Pulse Warheads (6)

Syndicate Smugglers (58)
Point-Defense Battery (9)
Boba Fett (4)
IG-88D (3)
Damage Control Team (3)
Tibanna Reserves (3)
Deadman’s Switch (2)

Autopilot Drone (12)

Zealous Recruit (41)

Captain Seevor (30)

Han Solo (48)
Trick Shot (4)
Tobias Beckett (2)
0-0-0 (5)
Contraband Cybernetics (2)
Lando’s Millennium Falcon (3)

Dengar (53)
Punishing One (5)
R5-P8 (4)

Serissu (41)
Afterburners (6)
Jamming Beam (0)
Veteran Wing Leader (2)

Cartel Spacer (25)
Heavy Laser Cannon (5)

Cartel Spacer (25)
Heavy Laser Cannon (5)
Total: 496

View in Yet Another Squad Builder 2.0

Z95s for cheap missile carriers, I thought, Mag Pulse sounds good vs big ships, that will probably shoot last.

Fang to block a Wing, I thought after the point reduction on Han, that I give him a chance, Dengar to have another nice high initiative pilot, and the M3A as hunters with the HLC.

We played “Cover the evacuation”, my opponent had the 3 shuttles, on one side 3 B Wings and Lando, and on the other side the CR90. (My opponents asked me how to equip the CR90, and I redirected them to this site: http://thenerdstreamera.blogspot.com/2020/01/musings-on-epic-listbuilding-cr90.html , thx @Stefan )

I went to the centre, were one of the shuttles waited for me, more or less unprotected. And my croc went vs B wings, thanks to the Speed 3 ship rule, and reinforce it took until the end of the game, like 5 or 6 rounds) for them to bring it down, like 300 points shot at 80 from me. On the other side the M3A had a hard time vs CR90, I had no shots with the HLC …. I was either to close or was to focused on the shuttle.

zO1ILiU.jpg

In the End I lost, because I went straight for the Mission, kill Shuttles, and my opponent had the time to focus on my ships.

Nevertheless a good test of the scenario, that showed if you focus too hard on the mission, you’ll lose. It would be smarter to just look at the Shuttles like a countdown, not try to destroy them, because as soon as you have opponents in your Arc the shuttles become soooooo tough!

I liked the Z95 with the missiles, and thought I might add some to the M3A as well. I didn’t liked Han, because he did nothing, and also would probably never have a chance to do something, because the obstacles can be spread out so much.

A few days later I had another chance to test another scenario, and I adjusted my list:

Bossk (29)
Marksmanship (1)
Afterburners (6)
Veteran Wing Leader (2)

Binayre Pirate (22)
Mag-Pulse Warheads (6)

Binayre Pirate (22)
Mag-Pulse Warheads (6)

Syndicate Smugglers (58)
Lando Calrissian (8)
IG-88D (3)
Damage Control Team (3)
Tibanna Reserves (3)
Broken Horn (4)
Perceptive Copilot (8)

L3-37 (26)
Tobias Beckett (2)

Zealous Recruit (41)

Captain Seevor (30)

Cartel Executioner (41)
R5-P8 (4)

Dalan Oberos (45)
Predator (2)

Serissu (41)
Afterburners (6)
Jamming Beam (0)
Veteran Wing Leader (2)

Cartel Spacer (25)
Concussion Missiles (6)

Cartel Spacer (25)
Concussion Missiles (6)
Total: 496

No “infiltrating Croc”, Missiles on the little guys, Kimos because I like them and also to just give it a try. L337 to keep the croc happy&coordinated with either Tijuana-reserves or some green tokens.

We played Passing Engagement, and my opponent flew also rebels, like my first opponent.

This time with a small X wing-Wing, 4 blues. Han, an E-Wing and of course the CR90.

Tfe9Jsq.jpg

This time my opponent went for the shuttles, and I went on the hunt for the ships. While he managed to destroy my shuttles, his CR90 and some X Wings were destroyed. Once more the player that went too hard for the mission lost , because once again the shuttle were still not that easy to destroy and gave only a few points, while on the other hand the CR90 is always around 200p.

So I liked my list more than in the first game, but the Kimos did almost nothing, the M3A on the other hand fired most of the missiles. L337 turned out to be a suuuuuper investment. Who knew XD

After the Game, my friend lend my his Croc, so I could play double Croc in the next game ❤️

So I changed my list again a bit:

Syndicate Smugglers (58)
Azmorigan (4)
Lando Calrissian (8)
Damage Control Team (3)
Tibanna Reserves (3)
Broken Horn (4)
Perceptive Copilot (8)

L3-37 (26)
Tobias Beckett (2)

Bossk (29)
Marksmanship (1)
Afterburners (6)

Binayre Pirate (22)
Mag-Pulse Warheads (6)

Binayre Pirate (22)
Mag-Pulse Warheads (6)

Serissu (41)
Afterburners (6)
Jamming Beam (0)

Cartel Spacer (25)
Concussion Missiles (6)

Cartel Spacer (25)
Concussion Missiles (6)

Captain Seevor (30)

Syndicate Smugglers (58)
Boba Fett (4)
IG-88D (3)
Damage Control Team (3)
Tibanna Reserves (3)
Deadman’s Switch (2)

Bounty Hunter (62)
Total: 500

Doublecroc, the two Wings, z95&M3A, A Spray, because I thought, in the games vs Shuttles it is still cool to stay on target, with action. The Wingleaders lost their Veteran Status, maybe it is still needed on Serrisu, but Bossk can certainly do without it.

Mission was Atmospheric entry, and I needed to leave with both my crocs, each 2 Tokens and my Spray, or stay alive. I thought, the crocs engage 2 or 3 times, then they run out of energy and get some ugly crits and are happy to leave the field, and it kinda turned out that way….

This time vs Imperial, Raider with some Ties and Sloane in a Deci. It was the first Epic game for my opponent, and he overloaded the small ships as well as the Deci. (oh and deathfire with proxmines)

He stayed in the corner, so he did a good job whit that, blocking my exit point, and the gravity-well special-rule was more annoying than fun, more because I had to remind myself of it the whole time.

In the end was it like; I lost one carrier ship, one survived, and one escaped (the Firespray). Not good, nor bad, I managed to destroy the ties, halve of the raider and the deci, the deci in almost one round from full hull/shield to 1 hull, just by attacking with the Lando-croc.

DRgGCI9.jpg

So I won by points, the scenario was just there to annoy me, but changed nothing...the Spray went away in the last round.

After all I had 3 fun epic games :D , each with a timer of 2h, and can help organize now the epic event. I hope you were able to read this, sorry for my english!

Edited by Dragon_King

Thanks for the plug :)